Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 4, 2011
9:41:09 PM
View profile
HTC Inspire Internal memory

I bought my htc inspire from walmart and it only has about 1.3 gb's of internal storage while the specs claim to have 4 gigs. has this happened to anyone

I bought my htc inspire from walmart and it only has about 1.3 gb's of internal storage while the specs claim to have 4 gigs. has this happened to anyone

HTC Inspire Internal memory

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2011 11:51:55 PM
(0)
Mentor
Yes. I can't understand it. Why would they say 4GB of memory when theres only 1GB? Plus,there's no HSPA+ (4G),in the settings! Each & every Inspire is operating on only 3G.
Yes. I can't understand it. Why would they say 4GB of memory when theres only 1GB? Plus,there's no HSPA+ (4G),in the settings! Each & every Inspire is operating on only 3G.

Re: HTC Inspire Internal memory

2 of 12 (2,589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 4:11:08 AM
(0)
Master
The 4 GB is overall internal storage. The OS, the stock ROM, cache and bloatware all have a piece of that pie. The 1.3 GB is what is left over for additions by the user.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
The 4 GB is overall internal storage. The OS, the stock ROM, cache and bloatware all have a piece of that pie. The 1.3 GB is what is left over for additions by the user.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

3 of 12 (2,586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 8:12:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

CollateralDamage wrote:
Plus,there's no HSPA+ (4G),in the settings! Each & every Inspire is operating on only 3G.

That's not true, so stop spreading false information.  You don't need a "setting" for it.  The HSPA+ network is the same as the "old" 3G network, either the upgrade to "+" has been done in your area, or it hasn't.  There is no seperate setting to "turn it on".  Some Android phones display a "3G+" or "H+" in the status bar (don't know about the Inspire specifically). But that is the only indication you will have that you are on HSPA+, aside from running a Speed Test (free app on the Android Market).

CollateralDamage wrote:
Plus,there's no HSPA+ (4G),in the settings! Each & every Inspire is operating on only 3G.

That's not true, so stop spreading false information.  You don't need a "setting" for it.  The HSPA+ network is the same as the "old" 3G network, either the upgrade to "+" has been done in your area, or it hasn't.  There is no seperate setting to "turn it on".  Some Android phones display a "3G+" or "H+" in the status bar (don't know about the Inspire specifically). But that is the only indication you will have that you are on HSPA+, aside from running a Speed Test (free app on the Android Market).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (2,576 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 8:24:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on May 5, 2011 at 8:28:54 AM

Ann154 wrote:

That's pretty much right.  Furthermore, the memory has been irreversibly formatted in such a way that it effectively reduces the storage in half, in order to increase peformence and reliabiliy.  While a 4GB memory chip is present in the phone, only 2GB are actually available for use, of which almost 1GB is taken by the operating system, ROM image, etc.

At least, this is the case with the Desire Z, which HTC released at the same time as the Desire HD (of which, the Inspire is simply the AT&T variant).  I can only assume the case is the same with the formatting of the storage on the Inspire:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision#The_Missing_2GB

While the specification stating 4GB of storage is technically correct, HTC and AT&T should have stated that only about 1GB is available as user-accessible storage.

Ann154 wrote:

That's pretty much right.  Furthermore, the memory has been irreversibly formatted in such a way that it effectively reduces the storage in half, in order to increase peformence and reliabiliy.  While a 4GB memory chip is present in the phone, only 2GB are actually available for use, of which almost 1GB is taken by the operating system, ROM image, etc.

At least, this is the case with the Desire Z, which HTC released at the same time as the Desire HD (of which, the Inspire is simply the AT&T variant).  I can only assume the case is the same with the formatting of the storage on the Inspire:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/index.php?title=HTC_Vision#The_Missing_2GB

While the specification stating 4GB of storage is technically correct, HTC and AT&T should have stated that only about 1GB is available as user-accessible storage.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
5 of 12 (2,572 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 9:28:34 AM
(0)
Professor

CollateralDamage wrote:

While it's true that the Inspire was released with HSUPA disabled, an update has been released that enables it. This, coupled with the reduced latency, now enables the faster speeds. However, in order to achieve these speeds, one would need to be an in area where the network upgrades have been completed, software and backhaul.

CollateralDamage wrote:

While it's true that the Inspire was released with HSUPA disabled, an update has been released that enables it. This, coupled with the reduced latency, now enables the faster speeds. However, in order to achieve these speeds, one would need to be an in area where the network upgrades have been completed, software and backhaul.

6 of 12 (2,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 12:16:43 PM
(0)
Contributor

i have mine rooted and i have the miui custom rom and i also had a leedroid rom and it scans my hardware and it clearly states that its 1.3

i have mine rooted and i have the miui custom rom and i also had a leedroid rom and it scans my hardware and it clearly states that its 1.3

7 of 12 (2,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 12:55:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I don't know how MIUI or Leedroid specifically report the internal storage.  But my guess is that its just reporting the user accessible portion, not the full capacity.

I don't know how MIUI or Leedroid specifically report the internal storage.  But my guess is that its just reporting the user accessible portion, not the full capacity.

8 of 12 (2,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2011 10:58:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

Yes it is true! Theres no 4G(HSPA+)settings in the phone. Whether or not there is a seperate setting to "turn it on",is not in dispute here. The Inspire will change from E(2G),to 3G,to H+ from time to time. Thats not in question here. If there was 4G (HSPA+) working anywhere it would say HSPA+ in the settings. Engadget states that if you go to settings,about phone,network,the phones are listed as HSDPA under "Mobile Network Type". Mobile Network Type would say HSPA+ if it was on a 4G network. Supposedly those settings will change to HSPA+ in the settings automatically as AT&T actually has 4G in use anywhere. According to AT&T,the + in HSPA+ is now everywhere.

As far as running a speed test,I tried that. So did people in Rhode Island,Buffalo,Baltimore etc where they say its got 4G. Speeds are all the same. 1.5-3MB downloads,and .3-.9 uploads. The new fix for the upload is still only at 1-1.5MB.

Yes it is true! Theres no 4G(HSPA+)settings in the phone. Whether or not there is a seperate setting to "turn it on",is not in dispute here. The Inspire will change from E(2G),to 3G,to H+ from time to time. Thats not in question here. If there was 4G (HSPA+) working anywhere it would say HSPA+ in the settings. Engadget states that if you go to settings,about phone,network,the phones are listed as HSDPA under "Mobile Network Type". Mobile Network Type would say HSPA+ if it was on a 4G network. Supposedly those settings will change to HSPA+ in the settings automatically as AT&T actually has 4G in use anywhere. According to AT&T,the + in HSPA+ is now everywhere.

As far as running a speed test,I tried that. So did people in Rhode Island,Buffalo,Baltimore etc where they say its got 4G. Speeds are all the same. 1.5-3MB downloads,and .3-.9 uploads. The new fix for the upload is still only at 1-1.5MB.

9 of 12 (2,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2011 8:01:22 AM
(0)
Professor

AT&T has not been straight forward when it comes to it's 4G (HSPA+) network. In fact, it has been misleading with it's advertisements. Hidden and lack of full and clear information has created a deception. The reference to having 4G deployed in nearly all of it's coverage area is referring to the software upgrade. The enhanced backhaul is required, is on going, and is currently only available in limited areas. When you go to the tutorials for the Inspire, under signal and data availability, at the very bottom, you will see this statement: "4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. Will be available in limited areas. Availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment".

AT&T has not been straight forward when it comes to it's 4G (HSPA+) network. In fact, it has been misleading with it's advertisements. Hidden and lack of full and clear information has created a deception. The reference to having 4G deployed in nearly all of it's coverage area is referring to the software upgrade. The enhanced backhaul is required, is on going, and is currently only available in limited areas. When you go to the tutorials for the Inspire, under signal and data availability, at the very bottom, you will see this statement: "4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul. Will be available in limited areas. Availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment".

10 of 12 (2,496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2011 6:33:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

CollateralDamage wrote:

According to AT&T,the + in HSPA+ is now everywhere.

Cit your source.  I doubt you have one.  AT&T does not even have 3G "everywhere", much less HSPA+.

CollateralDamage wrote:

According to AT&T,the + in HSPA+ is now everywhere.

Cit your source.  I doubt you have one.  AT&T does not even have 3G "everywhere", much less HSPA+.

11 of 12 (2,081 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2011 6:56:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

CollateralDamage wrote:

Engadget states that if you go to settings,about phone,network,the phones are listed as HSDPA under "Mobile Network Type". Mobile Network Type would say HSPA+ if it was on a 4G network. Supposedly those settings will change to HSPA+ in the settings automatically  . . .

That's interesting about what Engadget say about the settings, I haven't heard it before.  Unfortunately, I still don't think anything is going to change, or what kind of speeds you are expecting.  AT&T has only said that the HSPA+ backhaul will provide "up to" 6 Mbps download, and AT&T usually likes to state the best case scenario for things.  I've seen just under 5 Mbps on an unlocked Desire Z, similar to what users of the Inspire have stated on these forums.  I don't expect the HSPA+ network to get any better.  "4G" speeds on Sprint have been stated to average under 5 Mbps as well.  Verizon is king right now, with their LTE network yielding around 20 Mbps, but they only have one 4G phone, so I wonder how much that will decrease due to network congestions as more people buy LTE phones on Verizon.

And you really should have started a seperate thread, if you want to talk about data speeds.  This obviously has nothing to do with the OP about internal memory.

CollateralDamage wrote:

Engadget states that if you go to settings,about phone,network,the phones are listed as HSDPA under "Mobile Network Type". Mobile Network Type would say HSPA+ if it was on a 4G network. Supposedly those settings will change to HSPA+ in the settings automatically  . . .

That's interesting about what Engadget say about the settings, I haven't heard it before.  Unfortunately, I still don't think anything is going to change, or what kind of speeds you are expecting.  AT&T has only said that the HSPA+ backhaul will provide "up to" 6 Mbps download, and AT&T usually likes to state the best case scenario for things.  I've seen just under 5 Mbps on an unlocked Desire Z, similar to what users of the Inspire have stated on these forums.  I don't expect the HSPA+ network to get any better.  "4G" speeds on Sprint have been stated to average under 5 Mbps as well.  Verizon is king right now, with their LTE network yielding around 20 Mbps, but they only have one 4G phone, so I wonder how much that will decrease due to network congestions as more people buy LTE phones on Verizon.

And you really should have started a seperate thread, if you want to talk about data speeds.  This obviously has nothing to do with the OP about internal memory.

12 of 12 (2,079 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments