Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 28, 2011
9:24:05 AM
HTC Inspire Gingerbread 2.3 Upgrade

Since the search feature is pretty useless, heres a new thread. Anybody got any news on if/when the Inpsire will get a gingerbread 2.3 update?

Since the search feature is pretty useless, heres a new thread. Anybody got any news on if/when the Inpsire will get a gingerbread 2.3 update?

HTC Inspire Gingerbread 2.3 Upgrade

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 10:34:09 AM
(0)
Master
No rumors yet that I have seen. My guess based on AT&T's pattern so far, eight to nine months after the phone's original release date.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
No rumors yet that I have seen. My guess based on AT&T's pattern so far, eight to nine months after the phone's original release date.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: HTC Inspire Gingerbread 2.3 Upgrade

2 of 12 (11,758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2011 11:01:22 AM
(0)
Professor

I've seen articles that state HTC is currently working on a 2.3 upgrade, for the Desire HD, that is slated to be release around the end of April. The Inspire upgrade rom could easily be built off of this rom. However, considering AT&T will need to hack, butcher, test, test, and retest it, I wouldn't expect anything for several months out.

I've seen articles that state HTC is currently working on a 2.3 upgrade, for the Desire HD, that is slated to be release around the end of April. The Inspire upgrade rom could easily be built off of this rom. However, considering AT&T will need to hack, butcher, test, test, and retest it, I wouldn't expect anything for several months out.

3 of 12 (11,741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 1, 2011 6:14:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

The attrix is getting it on the June 3rd. Smiley Sad I wish it. And the evo is getting it. I don't get why the htc inspire is getting it before the attrix. The inspire came out before the attrix. 

The attrix is getting it on the June 3rd. Smiley Sad I wish it. And the evo is getting it. I don't get why the htc inspire is getting it before the attrix. The inspire came out before the attrix. 

4 of 12 (8,664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 6:02:56 AM
(0)
Professor

jjthomas1996 wrote:

Atrix is a different manufacturer, there is no reason why the 2 companies would be on a similar timeline.

Really, there's nothing too get too excited about with Gingerbread.  Its really just an incremental (not revolutionary) update.  HTC Sense will render the cosmetic (theme) and keyboard improvements.  Most you would probably see is some performance improvement, and that is going to be fairly minor as well.

jjthomas1996 wrote:

Atrix is a different manufacturer, there is no reason why the 2 companies would be on a similar timeline.

Really, there's nothing too get too excited about with Gingerbread.  Its really just an incremental (not revolutionary) update.  HTC Sense will render the cosmetic (theme) and keyboard improvements.  Most you would probably see is some performance improvement, and that is going to be fairly minor as well.

5 of 12 (8,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2011 12:23:56 PM
(0)
Teacher

This is what Gingerbread should bring unless ATT strips it.

Android 2.3 offers video calling with support for multiple cameras, improved VoIP support, enhanced cut and paste support, gyroscopic support with improved orientation algorithms. There is also a new download manager, keyboard with multitouch support and an integrated task manager.

Behind the scenes, the operating system will prove to appeal to the game coders, as Google have spent some time revamping the system. Multimedia support will also help web developers as there is a wider format suppotr with other enhancements. Tag support is added in the shape of ‘Near Field Communication’, another feature which will appeal to developers for easier creation of content.

This is what Gingerbread should bring unless ATT strips it.

Android 2.3 offers video calling with support for multiple cameras, improved VoIP support, enhanced cut and paste support, gyroscopic support with improved orientation algorithms. There is also a new download manager, keyboard with multitouch support and an integrated task manager.

Behind the scenes, the operating system will prove to appeal to the game coders, as Google have spent some time revamping the system. Multimedia support will also help web developers as there is a wider format suppotr with other enhancements. Tag support is added in the shape of ‘Near Field Communication’, another feature which will appeal to developers for easier creation of content.

6 of 12 (7,972 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 7, 2011 6:11:01 PM
(0)
Scholar

Where did you hear June 3rd?

jjthomas1996 wrote:

Where did you hear June 3rd?

jjthomas1996 wrote:

7 of 12 (7,923 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 8:57:19 AM
(0)
Scholar
just an FYI. If you dont feel like waiting for the "official" update, flash CM7. It is based off official 2.3 AOSP code, its super slick and super fast. As for "video calling" i wouldnt expect to see that even with the 2.3 update. I sincerely believe we have a much better chance of seeing full and true video calling with the release of ice cream sandwhich which is slated for Q4 of this year or Q1 of 2012
just an FYI. If you dont feel like waiting for the "official" update, flash CM7. It is based off official 2.3 AOSP code, its super slick and super fast. As for "video calling" i wouldnt expect to see that even with the 2.3 update. I sincerely believe we have a much better chance of seeing full and true video calling with the release of ice cream sandwhich which is slated for Q4 of this year or Q1 of 2012

8 of 12 (6,180 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 11, 2011 5:26:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

I wish I knew. Lets just say ATT better not drop the ball. It's bad enough they messed with the internet phone packages. This had better be one of the things they get right. Otherwise, I may just call it quits on this company! Especially since all the crap they put me through on this last upgrade on phones. Here that ATT dont mess this up!

I wish I knew. Lets just say ATT better not drop the ball. It's bad enough they messed with the internet phone packages. This had better be one of the things they get right. Otherwise, I may just call it quits on this company! Especially since all the crap they put me through on this last upgrade on phones. Here that ATT dont mess this up!

9 of 12 (5,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 5:15:53 AM
(0)
Scholar
Cullen,

HTC is the company you need to be pushing for a release for the 2.3 update. Not AT&T. they are mainly just involved in the roll out process, not the dev process.

Cullen,

HTC is the company you need to be pushing for a release for the 2.3 update. Not AT&T. they are mainly just involved in the roll out process, not the dev process.

10 of 12 (5,060 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 6:57:28 AM
(0)
Professor

Actually, both HTC and AT&T are heavily involved in the release of any ROM updates.  AT&T is notorious for holding up the releases on previous phones for many months, for "testing", despite the same release being issued on the same model phones on other carriers.  As already mentioned, the Inspire is essentially the same hardware as the Desire HD.  There is no reason why the GB update would not come out for the Inspire soon after the DHD.  It wouldn't take long for HTC to incorporate any changes requested by AT&T, such as theming and bloatware (heck, a good custom ROM chef can probably do that in a day).  But you can bet it will be released several months after the DHD update.

Actually, both HTC and AT&T are heavily involved in the release of any ROM updates.  AT&T is notorious for holding up the releases on previous phones for many months, for "testing", despite the same release being issued on the same model phones on other carriers.  As already mentioned, the Inspire is essentially the same hardware as the Desire HD.  There is no reason why the GB update would not come out for the Inspire soon after the DHD.  It wouldn't take long for HTC to incorporate any changes requested by AT&T, such as theming and bloatware (heck, a good custom ROM chef can probably do that in a day).  But you can bet it will be released several months after the DHD update.

11 of 12 (2,441 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 11:39:48 AM
(0)
Teacher
What do you expect? It's AT&T, the home of bloatware and backwardness. They always seem to be behind the times.
What do you expect? It's AT&T, the home of bloatware and backwardness. They always seem to be behind the times.

12 of 12 (2,335 Views)