HTC Inspire Battery Question

Contributor

HTC Inspire Battery Question

[ Edited ]

Just curious if anyone elses Inspire does this - while my battery obviously drains rapidly like everyone elses, I find that my battery continues to drain even with the phone shut down.  Example: I powered off the phone and fully charged to 100% charge overnight. Unplugged charger, went to work (still powered off), turned on after 5 hours and battery was down to 85%. Powered off, turned on after work (6 hours later), battery is at 65% charge. I need to charge every night regardless of how much or how little I use it. Any of this sound familiar to anyone? Thanks for any help!

Forgot to emphsize - battery is draining while powered off!! How is this happening is what I'm wondering?

Message 1 of 12 (1,399 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: HTC Inspire Battery Question

Hmm.. strange. When I was using my Inspire, I did not encounter this when it was shut down, that is of course unless the phone was shut off for a few days to a week.

I would say contact Customer Care to see what are your available options, perhaps they can mail you a new Inspire? Smiley Tongue

-Evandela
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 12 (1,367 Views)
Tutor

Had mine since February and if I shut off wifi, blue tooth and mail sync, and kept backlight low, it would work great as a phone all day long...and I use it extensively for business.

In reality, I am almost always near a plug, usually have wifi, blue tooth and mail sync active, and keep it plugged in when I'm pushing it to it's limit.

I also just ordered a couple of extra batteries and charger for those times when I really am away from power sources.  They're dirt cheap now and as good as OEM.

[Also, if you travel with a laptop, just turn it on and plug the phone into USB port.  It will run the phone for days!]

Message 3 of 12 (1,223 Views)
Professor

Just so you know, if a WiFi network is available, being connected to that will typically use less battery then being on AT&T's data network.  So probably best to keep WiFi on, when a WiFi network is available.

Message 4 of 12 (1,193 Views)
Scholar

I don't see any complaints about the battery itself for this phone here, but on some  forum boards they're rampant. In fact it made me think again about getting an Inspire. That along with the signal strength thread here makes me real cautious about this.

Message 5 of 12 (1,120 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

12Chris34 wrote:

I don't see any complaints about the battery itself for this phone here, but on some  forum boards they're rampant. In fact it made me think again about getting an Inspire. That along with the signal strength thread here makes me real cautious about this.

Battery life and signal strength often go hand-in-hand.  If you are in a fringe reception area, or you local tower is having issues, it can cause your battery to drain much faster.  The tough part, is that every phone model seems to act a little differently, and there do seem to be cases of people with poor reception, when they didn't on their previous phone.

Aside from that, there are tons of ways to reduce battery drain if you just Google around a bit.  In short, turn screen ), sync only what you really use, use WiFi when a network is available (uses less power than cell data network), turn off Bluetooth when not in use.  Screen brightness is a biggy (one of the biggest culprits of battery life), turn down the brightness to as low as you can tolerate (40-50% is good for most indoor situations).  I've seen an improvement on battery life by as much as 30% simply by turning it from "Auto" to 40% brightness.  If you are on a fringe 3G reception area, swithching to 2G/EDGE only may help (not ideal, but some people have had good results doing this).  There are tons of other ways to control battery drain, depending on how you use the phone.

Most modern smartphones are designed to get you through the waking hours of the day, then charge overnight, with moderate usage.   I don't personally own an Inspire (but a Desire Z, which is from the same "generation" of HTC phones), but from what I've read, in general people who own the phone seem to indicate this is the case.  Of course, it completely depends on how you use your phone, and you can kill the battery on any smartphone within several hours if you are doing heavy gaming, downloading, or have the screen on for long periods of time.  And reception issues, as I mentioned, can have a big impact on battery life.

Message 6 of 12 (1,104 Views)
Contributor

Update:  figured out what was happening, to some small degree.

I went into Menu,Settings, Accounts & Sync, and unchecked "Background Data".

Then I went into Menu, Settings, & unchecked everything but "bluetooth" (I use bluetooth for my headset and also paired with my car's bluetooth). Most notably I unchecked "Mobile Network"

Also, at one point earlier this week, a menu popped up stating my battery power was @ 25% (after only 8 hours in standby) & asked if I wanted it to shut down a bunch of things to save power. I did. So not sure what actually did the trick, but I haven't had to charge my Inspire for 2 days and have 85% battery yet. Right now, I uncheck "Mobile Network" to cut the internet connection when I'm not using it. Seems to help I think.....unless it's my imagination!!

Message 7 of 12 (1,079 Views)
Professor

Its a bit annoying that you should have to switch the data connection off/on manually in order to get decent battery life.  But it makes sense that the data connection would be one of the biggest culprits of battery drain.

If that is the method that is working for you, there are various widgets on the Market that let you toggle off/on the data connection from the home screen, as opposed to having to go into settings every time.  You may find those helpful.

Message 8 of 12 (1,048 Views)
Master

All HTC phones have had a data switch widget built in to the UI.

The steps for the HTC Inspire should be:
Menu button > personalize > widget > settings > mobile network
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 12 (1,041 Views)
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
All HTC phones have had a data switch widget built in to the UI.

The steps for the HTC Inspire should be:
Menu button > personalize > widget > settings > mobile network

True, current versions of Sense have the built-in settings widget, with a data connection toggle.  Actually forgot about that, since I don't use the Sense launcher.

Message 10 of 12 (1,032 Views)
Master

Actually the widget has been available in HTC android phones since Android 1.5 (Cupcake) that have the Sense UI.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 11 of 12 (849 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Ann154 wrote:
Actually the widget has been available in HTC android phones since Android 1.5 (Cupcake) that have the Sense UI.

Yeah, I actually am not familiar with versions of Sense that far back.  I said current Sense versions had the widget, I never said older versions DIDN'T have it   Smiley Happy

And all Android is "current" to me, I've had HTC phones since Windows Mobile 5 days.  Those definitely did not have any data connection widget! 

Message 12 of 12 (845 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.