Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Reply
Posted Mar 30, 2011
6:30:06 PM
View profile
HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

I had just purchased 2 HTC inspire for both myself and my wife. Just switched from the Iphone. I was told that I could use droid apps from anywhere! Now I'm finding out that you can only install apps from the market!!! This is complete nonsense! If I wanted to be limited, I would have stayed with Iphone! I understand that this is strictly an AT&T thing. Apparently AT&T work out a deal with HTC to not allow access to any other app stores or markets but their own. There has to be something illegal about this!!!!! Is there anyway to install apps on this phone from other sources?

I had just purchased 2 HTC inspire for both myself and my wife. Just switched from the Iphone. I was told that I could use droid apps from anywhere! Now I'm finding out that you can only install apps from the market!!! This is complete nonsense! If I wanted to be limited, I would have stayed with Iphone! I understand that this is strictly an AT&T thing. Apparently AT&T work out a deal with HTC to not allow access to any other app stores or markets but their own. There has to be something illegal about this!!!!! Is there anyway to install apps on this phone from other sources?

HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

4,216 views
17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Reply
View all replies
(17)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 8:00:12 PM
0
(0)
Scholar

The market isn't exactly limited!

 

But if you feel you need to go elsewhere -- um, wherever that might be -- then you will need to root your phone.  (Disclaimer:  Rooting your phone may void the terms of your AT&T warranty, cause birth defects, etc.  And installing apps outside the marketplace carries a very real possibility of your Inspire getting a virus.)   Still interested?  Search the HTC Inspire section on xda-developers.

 

There is an app out there called Sideload Wonder Machine which will install apps without root, but the same warning applies about getting viruses.  Google it.

The market isn't exactly limited!

 

But if you feel you need to go elsewhere -- um, wherever that might be -- then you will need to root your phone.  (Disclaimer:  Rooting your phone may void the terms of your AT&T warranty, cause birth defects, etc.  And installing apps outside the marketplace carries a very real possibility of your Inspire getting a virus.)   Still interested?  Search the HTC Inspire section on xda-developers.

 

There is an app out there called Sideload Wonder Machine which will install apps without root, but the same warning applies about getting viruses.  Google it.

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

2 of 18 (4,169 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 8:16:30 PM
0
(0)
Contributor

Yes, I'm about to cancel my 7+ year contract because of this.  I bought the phone so I could make apps for it sell my apps etc.  Only to find out that ATT is saying we signed in the contract that we cannot use 3rd party apps.  Actually that is a lie, I looked it up and all it says in the contract is that some features may not be available at all times.  Only one section about apps and features and only one line in that section, nothing about restricting 3rd party apps.  I can say that I was unruly guided in my agreement and since they changed the agreement in verbal form to clarify that their unspecific clause included 3rd party apps that my agreement is null and void because this feature is a part of the phone they just chose to remove it and didn't say that this feature was removed.  This is exactly what the agreement says, "Terms and conditions for certain features and applications are provided on the Device at the time of feature/application activation or first use. Certain features/applications will not be available in all areas at all times."  Now how am I to know that 3rd party (my) software is a feature that will not be available?  Also there are and were not any terms and conditions for certain features and applications on my device when I activated it or used it for the first time.  So right there my terms and conditions were not meet.  This just seems like a clause they put in so they do whatever the he# they want without really telling you what you’re getting into before you sign a 2 year agreement which is what they would want you to do then say oh you signed and agreed to that!  OH did I?  I'm reading this clause and still don't understand how 3rd party software is a feature that should and needs to be blocked and how the average person would know that is what ATT means....  I also think you are right because creating apps should be a common feature I paid money for the phone I pay a service fee on the phone why can I not own the phone completely?  This going to be my claim for canceling my contract of 7+ years.  Bye bye att hello Verizon.  I need a ATT manager/representative explain to me why this is not possible for ATT users and why I should not open a case to cancel my contract (without charge) because the terms were not specific enough or informative enough stating that 3rd party software cannot be used on ATT phones.  I can go to any other carrier and will because this is very ridiculous and babyish.  When it says “certain features/applications will not be available in all areas at all times.” That sounds like since some features are run through the data like say tv you might not get the complete service because of reception in some areas…not ATT can get their clamy hands on any feature in your phone and turn them off because they want your money but not your satisfaction.  And seriously if ATT still doesn’t allow me to put my own apps on my phone and still says that their nonspecific claus (far fetched I might add to include this 3rd party restriction) then this is my last 2 years and the last day I’ll ever recommend ATT to anyone which I have been doing for 7+ years.

Yes, I'm about to cancel my 7+ year contract because of this.  I bought the phone so I could make apps for it sell my apps etc.  Only to find out that ATT is saying we signed in the contract that we cannot use 3rd party apps.  Actually that is a lie, I looked it up and all it says in the contract is that some features may not be available at all times.  Only one section about apps and features and only one line in that section, nothing about restricting 3rd party apps.  I can say that I was unruly guided in my agreement and since they changed the agreement in verbal form to clarify that their unspecific clause included 3rd party apps that my agreement is null and void because this feature is a part of the phone they just chose to remove it and didn't say that this feature was removed.  This is exactly what the agreement says, "Terms and conditions for certain features and applications are provided on the Device at the time of feature/application activation or first use. Certain features/applications will not be available in all areas at all times."  Now how am I to know that 3rd party (my) software is a feature that will not be available?  Also there are and were not any terms and conditions for certain features and applications on my device when I activated it or used it for the first time.  So right there my terms and conditions were not meet.  This just seems like a clause they put in so they do whatever the he# they want without really telling you what you’re getting into before you sign a 2 year agreement which is what they would want you to do then say oh you signed and agreed to that!  OH did I?  I'm reading this clause and still don't understand how 3rd party software is a feature that should and needs to be blocked and how the average person would know that is what ATT means....  I also think you are right because creating apps should be a common feature I paid money for the phone I pay a service fee on the phone why can I not own the phone completely?  This going to be my claim for canceling my contract of 7+ years.  Bye bye att hello Verizon.  I need a ATT manager/representative explain to me why this is not possible for ATT users and why I should not open a case to cancel my contract (without charge) because the terms were not specific enough or informative enough stating that 3rd party software cannot be used on ATT phones.  I can go to any other carrier and will because this is very ridiculous and babyish.  When it says “certain features/applications will not be available in all areas at all times.” That sounds like since some features are run through the data like say tv you might not get the complete service because of reception in some areas…not ATT can get their clamy hands on any feature in your phone and turn them off because they want your money but not your satisfaction.  And seriously if ATT still doesn’t allow me to put my own apps on my phone and still says that their nonspecific claus (far fetched I might add to include this 3rd party restriction) then this is my last 2 years and the last day I’ll ever recommend ATT to anyone which I have been doing for 7+ years.

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

3 of 18 (4,159 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2011 8:17:19 PM
0
(0)
Master
Actually AT&T removed the "install from unknown sources" option in all of their AT&T branded android phones. Motorola Backflip, HTC Aria, Samsung Captivate, SE Experia X10, Motorola Flipout, Flipside, Bravo, HTC Inspire, Motorola Atrix and the carrier locked Dell Streak are all ones I know about. Unless the policy changes, any future phones will have this restriction.

AT&T is also filtering out certain apps from being viewed in the Market from your device. There is a work around for that as well.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Actually AT&T removed the "install from unknown sources" option in all of their AT&T branded android phones. Motorola Backflip, HTC Aria, Samsung Captivate, SE Experia X10, Motorola Flipout, Flipside, Bravo, HTC Inspire, Motorola Atrix and the carrier locked Dell Streak are all ones I know about. Unless the policy changes, any future phones will have this restriction.

AT&T is also filtering out certain apps from being viewed in the Market from your device. There is a work around for that as well.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

4 of 18 (4,158 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 31, 2011 7:40:47 AM
0
(0)
Scholar

@complacent, you can easily submit the apps you develop through the market.  I don't like that AT&T locked down the Inspire (and many other phones) either, but your argument that you're going to cancel your contract because

"...ATT is saying we signed in the contract that we cannot use 3rd party apps".

But I only see a very few apps in the market that came from AT&T.  The thousands and thousands of other apps in the market came from developers just like you!  There are far more apps from just some guy rather than a software company.

 

Check out http://market.android.com/publish; this is even referenced by AT&T on their 'OEM Storefront' for developers!

@complacent, you can easily submit the apps you develop through the market.  I don't like that AT&T locked down the Inspire (and many other phones) either, but your argument that you're going to cancel your contract because

"...ATT is saying we signed in the contract that we cannot use 3rd party apps".

But I only see a very few apps in the market that came from AT&T.  The thousands and thousands of other apps in the market came from developers just like you!  There are far more apps from just some guy rather than a software company.

 

Check out http://market.android.com/publish; this is even referenced by AT&T on their 'OEM Storefront' for developers!

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

5 of 18 (4,090 Views)
Highlighted
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2011 3:13:52 PM
0
(0)
Master
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

6 of 18 (3,867 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 30, 2011 6:28:06 AM
0
(0)
Teacher
Does anyone know if Droid explorer will sideload onto the inspire
Does anyone know if Droid explorer will sideload onto the inspire

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

7 of 18 (3,311 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 11:14:56 AM
0
(0)
Contributor

Will some one please explain what the big deal is from AT&T point of view.  Are the apps the same in the market as in the Amazon app store?

Will some one please explain what the big deal is from AT&T point of view.  Are the apps the same in the market as in the Amazon app store?

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

8 of 18 (3,227 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 12:59:52 PM
0
(0)
Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on May 2, 2011 at 1:01:57 PM

 


jiahar wrote:

Will some one please explain what the big deal is from AT&T point of view.  Are the apps the same in the market as in the Amazon app store?


 

ATT will say its for your protection.  But the real answoer is that ATT does not want you installing things that can possibly bypass their paid services, like tethering apps.

 

For the most part, many apps on the "ATT approved" Android Market are the same as the "full" Android Market, which is also not that different from the apps on the Amazon app store.  If you need to ask what the difference is, then it probably isn't matter that much to you.  On the other hand, if there are specific apps that you can't find on the "ATT approved" Android Market, then that would be an issue.

 


jiahar wrote:

Will some one please explain what the big deal is from AT&T point of view.  Are the apps the same in the market as in the Amazon app store?


 

ATT will say its for your protection.  But the real answoer is that ATT does not want you installing things that can possibly bypass their paid services, like tethering apps.

 

For the most part, many apps on the "ATT approved" Android Market are the same as the "full" Android Market, which is also not that different from the apps on the Amazon app store.  If you need to ask what the difference is, then it probably isn't matter that much to you.  On the other hand, if there are specific apps that you can't find on the "ATT approved" Android Market, then that would be an issue.

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

[ Edited ]
9 of 18 (3,218 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 12:00:44 AM
0
(0)
Mentor
I couldn't access zoovision.com,or americafree.tv. Why would they block such sites?
I couldn't access zoovision.com,or americafree.tv. Why would they block such sites?

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

10 of 18 (3,152 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 5:03:39 AM
0
(0)
Employee
they don't block access to websites. there must be another reasonthat happened
they don't block access to websites. there must be another reasonthat happened
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

11 of 18 (2,447 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 8:06:24 AM
0
(0)
Professor

 


CollateralDamage wrote:
I couldn't access zoovision.com,or americafree.tv. Why would they block such sites?

This has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.  You should have started your own thread.

 

 


CollateralDamage wrote:
I couldn't access zoovision.com,or americafree.tv. Why would they block such sites?

This has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.  You should have started your own thread.

 

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

12 of 18 (2,438 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 6:00:45 PM
0
(0)
Professor
You can use this to install any app you want http://6sen.se/kAmfNU
You can use this to install any app you want http://6sen.se/kAmfNU

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

13 of 18 (2,426 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2011 7:03:43 PM
0
(0)
Master
Or use Android Central's Sideload Wonder Machine.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Or use Android Central's Sideload Wonder Machine.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

14 of 18 (2,419 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2011 4:56:07 PM
0
(0)
Professor
Seems like AT&T is going to remove the restrictions of getting apps just from the Android marketplace http://m.bgr.com/2011/05/06/att-vp-dishes-on-android-windows-phone-handset-plans/#0_undefined,0_
Seems like AT&T is going to remove the restrictions of getting apps just from the Android marketplace http://m.bgr.com/2011/05/06/att-vp-dishes-on-android-windows-phone-handset-plans/#0_undefined,0_

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

15 of 18 (2,399 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2011 2:54:37 PM
0
(0)
Professor

It's about time they did this!

It's about time they did this!

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

16 of 18 (2,373 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2011 6:28:01 AM
0
(0)
Professor

 


guandalf wrote:
Seems like AT&T is going to remove the restrictions of getting apps just from the Android marketplace http://m.bgr.com/2011/05/06/att-vp-dishes-on-android-windows-phone-handset-plans/#0_undefined,0_

Weren't they originally saying the same about the Inspire before its release (which obviously didn't turn out to be true)?

 

 


guandalf wrote:
Seems like AT&T is going to remove the restrictions of getting apps just from the Android marketplace http://m.bgr.com/2011/05/06/att-vp-dishes-on-android-windows-phone-handset-plans/#0_undefined,0_

Weren't they originally saying the same about the Inspire before its release (which obviously didn't turn out to be true)?

 

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

17 of 18 (2,352 Views)
0
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2011 6:17:31 PM
0
(0)
Contributor

Thanks so much for the info!  Looking forward to trying it.

Thanks so much for the info!  Looking forward to trying it.

Re: HTC Inspire / Apps limitation

18 of 18 (2,342 Views)
Share this post
Share this post