HTC Inspire 4G

Explorer

HTC Inspire 4G

A leaked ad shows the HTC Inspire 4G. The 4G looks like it will be HSPA+ but if T-Mobile can do it, I suppose AT&T might as well claim it. Looks like it will most likely have a 4.3" screen with sense so that will make it amazing. The only thing that would make me not purchase this would be whether or not it is going to be a dual-core phone. The Motorola Olympus looks good (minus Motoblur) so this will be tough decision. I have been waiting for well over a year for a good Android phone and I thought the Olympus might be it but now the decision looks a bit more complicated.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/htc-thunderbolt-for-verizon-and-inspire-4g-for-atandt-break-cover...

Message 1 of 43 (7,349 Views)
Contributor

Re: HTC Inspire 4G

HTC Inspire 4g OR Motorola Olympus (probably 4g)

Message 2 of 43 (7,010 Views)
Scholar

If the HTC Inspire were no more than 4 inches, I'd jumped on it in no time, but my suspicions say it will be the size of the EVO.
Message 3 of 43 (6,898 Views)
Professor

No way, ATT getting a real HTC Android device?

Message 4 of 43 (6,867 Views)
Guru

Announced at CES...I believe it's the desire HD renamed for att.
Message 5 of 43 (6,752 Views)
Master

Official page from AT&T
http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=18885&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=31477&mapcode=consumer|financial
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 43 (6,719 Views)
Mentor

redpoint73 wrote:

No way, ATT getting a real HTC Android device?

Yeah and it is shipping with HTC Sense version of Froyo 2.2 just as Google is releasing Gingerbread 2.3...

Reminds me of the Aria getting released in June with Eclair 2.1 just after Google released Froyo 2.2 and here it is 6 months later and we're still waiting for AT&T/HTC to release Froyo on the Aria.  I wonder how long Inspire users will have to wait for Gingerbread?

Message 7 of 43 (6,721 Views)
Scholar

Some people will find anything to complain about.  This is the phone I was waitingfor, but alas, my Fuze died too soon and I had to get a Captivate.  Luckily, I have not experienced all the problems others have with the Captivate and is quite happy with it.  Still wished I could have stayed with HTC though .... I love their phones.

Message 8 of 43 (6,692 Views)
Professor

The Inspire "inspires" me! I like the specs (only wish it had a physicall keypad). I think this may be my next phone!  AT&T rolling out some really nice phones this year!

Message 9 of 43 (6,588 Views)
Professor

tpbklake wrote:

Yeah and it is shipping with HTC Sense version of Froyo 2.2 just as Google is releasing Gingerbread 2.3...

Reminds me of the Aria getting released in June with Eclair 2.1 just after Google released Froyo 2.2 and here it is 6 months later and we're still waiting for AT&T/HTC to release Froyo on the Aria.  I wonder how long Inspire users will have to wait for Gingerbread?

Gingerbread was just released, and its a bit unfair to expect HTC to have it on their devices so quickly.  HTC always lags behind the other manufacturers in terms of OS update releases when they put Sense on the phone.  Personally, I like Sense, and my opinion is that it enhances the Android experience.  But yes, it also delays updates to the OS.

At least its not nearly as bad as when ATT/Sony released the Xperia X10 with Android 1.6, when 2.2 was already available.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you that since the device will not ship with Gingerbread, an official update from ATT will mostly likely be a painfully long time in coming.  Historically, that has almost always been the way with ROM updates from ATT.  But if you want Gingerbread on the Inspire so badly, my advice would be to root and flash a custom ROM.  ROM updates will always come much faster that way, then the "official" channels.

Message 10 of 43 (6,566 Views)
Mentor

redpoint73 wrote:

tpbklake wrote:

Gingerbread was just released, and its a bit unfair to expect HTC to have it on their devices so quickly.  HTC always lags behind the other manufacturers in terms of OS update releases when they put Sense on the phone.  Personally, I like Sense, and my opinion is that it enhances the Android experience.  But yes, it also delays updates to the OS.

At least its not nearly as bad as when ATT/Sony released the Xperia X10 with Android 1.6, when 2.2 was already available.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you that since the device will not ship with Gingerbread, an official update from ATT will mostly likely be a painfully long time in coming.  Historically, that has almost always been the way with ROM updates from ATT.  But if you want Gingerbread on the Inspire so badly, my advice would be to root and flash a custom ROM.  ROM updates will always come much faster that way, then the "official" channels.

Yeah I guess I should have used a smily face for my 'tongue in cheek' comment Smiley Wink.

I too am glad to see AT&T pick up another HTC Android that is comparable to the other carriers in terms of power and features.  I've lived through the whole HTC/AT&T ROM updates on both Windows Mobile and Android, so I know that custom ROMs are the way to go if you want more up to date features and I don't have a problem with it.  I tried the both the leaked Gratia Froyo ROM and the released Gratia Froyo ROM just to see what Froyo and HTC Sense is like, but ended up with CM 6.1.1.

Since the Inspire will be running the new, updated HTC Sense on Froyo with support for HTCSense.com, it will be interesting to play around with it once it hits the stores and see what the differences are.

Message 11 of 43 (2,502 Views)
Scholar

If you want a good idea of what to expect with the Inspire 4G just check all the different hands on reviews of the Desire HD. I don't know for sure, but I'm betting it's nearly identical to the Desire HD w/ a different radio and different bands.
Message 12 of 43 (2,473 Views)
Guru

The one thing I see about the Inspire is the weak 1250Mah battery. Samsungs is coming with a 1900Mah. Although, not so sure I would touch a Samsung after the GPS catastrophe with the Galaxy S line.
Message 13 of 43 (2,467 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

I'm really beginning to like this new device. It has neat features and cool, modern styling that I like about my current Samsung Mythic. The screen looks REALLY nice on this one, but it looks a lot like the Droid Incredible. I have heard on this Forum that HTC has good reliability and build quality, so this just may be the one for me. But as of right now, I am sold on the Captivate. The one thing I do NOT like about this phone is that the camera sort of protrudes from the back of the phone, and looks sort of weird. It seems like I would feel uncomfortable in your pocket, like it would jab into your thigh if you put it screen-facing. I don't know, that's just how I think about it.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 14 of 43 (2,343 Views)
Guru

On phonedogs review of the Desire HD, (same as Inspire) that when the phone is set down, the camera lens is what rests on the surface.
Message 15 of 43 (2,339 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.