Ask a question

Posted Jan 4, 2011
9:59:23 PM
View profile
HTC Inspire 4G

A leaked ad shows the HTC Inspire 4G. The 4G looks like it will be HSPA+ but if T-Mobile can do it, I suppose AT&T might as well claim it. Looks like it will most likely have a 4.3" screen with sense so that will make it amazing. The only thing that would make me not purchase this would be whether or not it is going to be a dual-core phone. The Motorola Olympus looks good (minus Motoblur) so this will be tough decision. I have been waiting for well over a year for a good Android phone and I thought the Olympus might be it but now the decision looks a bit more complicated.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/htc-thunderbolt-for-verizon-and-inspire-4g-for-atandt-break-cover/

HTC Inspire 4G

42 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(42)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 4, 2011 11:34:18 PM
(0)
Contributor

HTC Inspire 4g OR Motorola Olympus (probably 4g)

Re: HTC Inspire 4G

2 of 43 (6,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 5:35:35 AM
(0)
Scholar
If the HTC Inspire were no more than 4 inches, I'd jumped on it in no time, but my suspicions say it will be the size of the EVO.

3 of 43 (6,415 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 6:18:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

No way, ATT getting a real HTC Android device?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 43 (6,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 11:35:04 AM
(0)
Guru
Announced at CES...I believe it's the desire HD renamed for att.

5 of 43 (6,269 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 1:18:10 PM
(0)
Professor
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

6 of 43 (6,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 1:18:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

redpoint73 wrote:

No way, ATT getting a real HTC Android device?

Yeah and it is shipping with HTC Sense version of Froyo 2.2 just as Google is releasing Gingerbread 2.3...

Reminds me of the Aria getting released in June with Eclair 2.1 just after Google released Froyo 2.2 and here it is 6 months later and we're still waiting for AT&T/HTC to release Froyo on the Aria.  I wonder how long Inspire users will have to wait for Gingerbread?

7 of 43 (6,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2011 2:23:41 PM
(0)
Scholar

Some people will find anything to complain about.  This is the phone I was waitingfor, but alas, my Fuze died too soon and I had to get a Captivate.  Luckily, I have not experienced all the problems others have with the Captivate and is quite happy with it.  Still wished I could have stayed with HTC though .... I love their phones.

8 of 43 (6,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 2:52:43 AM
(0)
Professor

The Inspire "inspires" me! I like the specs (only wish it had a physicall keypad). I think this may be my next phone!  AT&T rolling out some really nice phones this year!

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

9 of 43 (6,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 6:35:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

tpbklake wrote:

Yeah and it is shipping with HTC Sense version of Froyo 2.2 just as Google is releasing Gingerbread 2.3...

Reminds me of the Aria getting released in June with Eclair 2.1 just after Google released Froyo 2.2 and here it is 6 months later and we're still waiting for AT&T/HTC to release Froyo on the Aria.  I wonder how long Inspire users will have to wait for Gingerbread?

Gingerbread was just released, and its a bit unfair to expect HTC to have it on their devices so quickly.  HTC always lags behind the other manufacturers in terms of OS update releases when they put Sense on the phone.  Personally, I like Sense, and my opinion is that it enhances the Android experience.  But yes, it also delays updates to the OS.

At least its not nearly as bad as when ATT/Sony released the Xperia X10 with Android 1.6, when 2.2 was already available.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you that since the device will not ship with Gingerbread, an official update from ATT will mostly likely be a painfully long time in coming.  Historically, that has almost always been the way with ROM updates from ATT.  But if you want Gingerbread on the Inspire so badly, my advice would be to root and flash a custom ROM.  ROM updates will always come much faster that way, then the "official" channels.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 43 (6,083 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 6:57:17 AM
(0)
Mentor

redpoint73 wrote:

tpbklake wrote:

Gingerbread was just released, and its a bit unfair to expect HTC to have it on their devices so quickly.  HTC always lags behind the other manufacturers in terms of OS update releases when they put Sense on the phone.  Personally, I like Sense, and my opinion is that it enhances the Android experience.  But yes, it also delays updates to the OS.

At least its not nearly as bad as when ATT/Sony released the Xperia X10 with Android 1.6, when 2.2 was already available.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you that since the device will not ship with Gingerbread, an official update from ATT will mostly likely be a painfully long time in coming.  Historically, that has almost always been the way with ROM updates from ATT.  But if you want Gingerbread on the Inspire so badly, my advice would be to root and flash a custom ROM.  ROM updates will always come much faster that way, then the "official" channels.

Yeah I guess I should have used a smily face for my 'tongue in cheek' comment Smiley Wink.

I too am glad to see AT&T pick up another HTC Android that is comparable to the other carriers in terms of power and features.  I've lived through the whole HTC/AT&T ROM updates on both Windows Mobile and Android, so I know that custom ROMs are the way to go if you want more up to date features and I don't have a problem with it.  I tried the both the leaked Gratia Froyo ROM and the released Gratia Froyo ROM just to see what Froyo and HTC Sense is like, but ended up with CM 6.1.1.

Since the Inspire will be running the new, updated HTC Sense on Froyo with support for HTCSense.com, it will be interesting to play around with it once it hits the stores and see what the differences are.

11 of 43 (2,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 10:26:03 AM
(0)
Scholar
If you want a good idea of what to expect with the Inspire 4G just check all the different hands on reviews of the Desire HD. I don't know for sure, but I'm betting it's nearly identical to the Desire HD w/ a different radio and different bands.

12 of 43 (1,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 6, 2011 10:32:54 AM
(0)
Guru
The one thing I see about the Inspire is the weak 1250Mah battery. Samsungs is coming with a 1900Mah. Although, not so sure I would touch a Samsung after the GPS catastrophe with the Galaxy S line.

13 of 43 (1,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 2:26:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by Wild Banchi on Jan 7, 2011 at 2:28:13 PM

I'm really beginning to like this new device. It has neat features and cool, modern styling that I like about my current Samsung Mythic. The screen looks REALLY nice on this one, but it looks a lot like the Droid Incredible. I have heard on this Forum that HTC has good reliability and build quality, so this just may be the one for me. But as of right now, I am sold on the Captivate. The one thing I do NOT like about this phone is that the camera sort of protrudes from the back of the phone, and looks sort of weird. It seems like I would feel uncomfortable in your pocket, like it would jab into your thigh if you put it screen-facing. I don't know, that's just how I think about it.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010

[ Edited ]
14 of 43 (1,860 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 2:30:23 PM
(0)
Guru
On phonedogs review of the Desire HD, (same as Inspire) that when the phone is set down, the camera lens is what rests on the surface.

15 of 43 (1,856 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 2:35:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

davidusr wrote:
On phonedogs review of the Desire HD, (same as Inspire) that when the phone is set down, the camera lens is what rests on the surface.

Doesn't that seem like it would scratch the camera lens...? Besides, I never set my phone down on a hard surface. I have a fear that it will get scratched on the bottom.

16 of 43 (1,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2011 6:28:54 PM
(0)
Guru
That was the complaint about it laying on the camera lens...scratching it up. Personally, the inspire is uninspiring. The 1ghz Snapdragon processor has been in phones for a year, or longer, companies are moving to faster ones such as the 1.2ghz for the infuse, and the Atrix will have the dual core IntegraII. Again, personally, I will avoid the 1ghz phones because they will be out dated in a few months. But, same with any phone I suppose. The Atrix will probably be "old" come September. But by then, I'll have another upgrade available on my account. My wife is right...I AM a phone junkie!

17 of 43 (1,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 6:44:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

davidusr wrote:
That was the complaint about it laying on the camera lens...scratching it up.

Haven't seen the Desire HD in person.  But if its anything like the Desire Z, the lens has a metal "rim" around the glass, which protrudes to that the glass does not touch anything when the phone is laid on a flat surface.

davidusr wrote:
My wife is right...I AM a phone junkie!

Lol, was there ever really any doubt on that?

18 of 43 (1,665 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 6:55:10 AM
(0)
Guru

redpoint73 wrote:

davidusr wrote:
That was the complaint about it laying on the camera lens...scratching it up.

Haven't seen the Desire HD in person.  But if its anything like the Desire Z, the lens has a metal "rim" around the glass, which protrudes to that the glass does not touch anything when the phone is laid on a flat surface.

I watched a review of it on Phonedog. They didn't mention a rim, would make better sense if it did though.

davidusr wrote:
My wife is right...I AM a phone junkie!

Lol, was there ever really any doubt on that?

No...no doubt. Just finally recognizing my addiction. A cure should be just around the corner. Although, I am getting a bad case of the shakes...Ive had this i4 for nearly 3 months...I need an Android fix!

19 of 43 (1,658 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 7:59:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

davidusr wrote:
No...no doubt. Just finally recognizing my addiction. A cure should be just around the corner. Although, I am getting a bad case of the shakes...Ive had this i4 for nearly 3 months...I need an Android fix!

The first step is admitting you have a problem, LOL!

Spending over $600 on an unlocked Desire Z probably qualifies me, as well.

20 of 43 (1,644 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 12:00:59 PM
(0)
Guru
I'm guilty of that...paid $500 for the first unsubsidized iPhone and $567 after taxes for the N1. Usually, I can get at least what I pay when I resale. Took a hit on the N1 though. Can't go wrong when I resale these subsidized iPhones...use them for a few months, and usually get close to double my money back.

21 of 43 (1,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 12:03:18 PM
(0)
Guru
I hit "post" on accident.

The money made on the sale of this i4 will buy me an Inspre or Atrix. I'm leaning toward the Atrix though.

22 of 43 (1,813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 2:16:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

The Desire HD has the rim around it just like the Desire and the Desire Z does, I have seen all three, I own the Desire and the Desire Z, and as for Phone Junkie how about $1264.00 in the span of four months, that is what my two phone's set me back!!!

23 of 43 (1,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 9:18:23 AM
(0)
Mentor
Anyone know when this is coming to AT&T. Hopefully sooner than march like the moto atrix.

24 of 43 (1,619 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 5:03:33 AM
(0)
Scholar
Im praying its coming before the VZ Ip4 is released. Ive been drooling over the Desire hd specs & wonderin when ATT will FINALLY give it to us. Ive been with ATT for 13 years,and have been a WM user forever. I just returned a SSfocus. WP7 was VERY disappointing. Its sad to see WMOS screwing thingsup. I love HTC. Looks like its time to give Android a try. The only thing thatll make me giveup on HTC,is if they release the Infuse first! Screen size does matter to me. Not to mention that SuperAmoledPlus killerdisplay. Cmon ATT......dont keepus waitin!

25 of 43 (1,525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 8:13:59 AM
(0)
Professor

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
Im praying its coming before the VZ Ip4 is released. Ive been drooling over the Desire hd specs & wonderin when ATT will FINALLY give it to us. Ive been with ATT for 13 years,and have been a WM user forever. I just returned a SSfocus. WP7 was VERY disappointing. Its sad to see WMOS screwing thingsup. I love HTC. Looks like its time to give Android a try. The only thing thatll make me giveup on HTC,is if they release the Infuse first! Screen size does matter to me. Not to mention that SuperAmoledPlus killerdisplay. Cmon ATT......dont keepus waitin!

Me too, drooled over Desire. Im also a big HTC fan. I liked their phone designs and how most of their earlier sets were built the way i like a phone.  I dont like the too-thin, plasiticy toy feel even thought the sleekness is really nice.  But id rather 'feel' the solidity of a phone like the Tilt (both 8925 and Tilt 2).  im a WM guy for years too but looks like we're being squeezed into moving to WP7 or Android. (i think id rather go android over WP7

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

26 of 43 (1,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 2:08:43 AM
(0)
Scholar
Anyone given the choice of freedom (android),or restrictive (WP7),would certainly go with Android. Ive never owned an Android phone,but from what I see,its a freindlyer system. WP7 is certainly a refined system but way too clampedown by someone. Letsgo ATT. Im dyin for oneodem Inspire/Infuze! Whats the holdup?

27 of 43 (1,361 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 10:30:14 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Tilt-A-Rama wrote:
Anyone given the choice of freedom (android),or restrictive (WP7),would certainly go with Android. Ive never owned an Android phone,but from what I see,its a freindlyer system. WP7 is certainly a refined system but way too clampedown by someone. Letsgo ATT. Im dyin for oneodem Inspire/Infuze! Whats the holdup?

The hold up, I would guess, is that AT&T needs to develop and test their new 4G netowork in at least one place before these new 4G devices can be released. They're probably working on it right now...

The term HTC Inspire "4G" wouldn't be quite the same if there was no 4G available. Smiley Wink

Yep, I'm likin' this phone just as much as you. It's pretty sweet.

28 of 43 (1,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2011 8:31:46 PM
(0)
Scholar
I dought theres much testing thats needed. I think the + in HSPA+ is upgrading from coaxial to fiberoptics on the 3G towers. They probably wanna get that as widespread as possible. Im already noticeing faster downloads here in NYC. But I hope theres still a fiberoptic/+ upgrade comin tomy tower!

29 of 43 (1,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 6:09:50 AM
(0)
Scholar

Funny fact...

at&t released free Wi-Fi to it's customers in the NYC area to help take some of the bandwidth off of their mobile network in that area.  So, say your in a popular NYC area (say Herald Sq.) and your trying to use your phone for internet stuff but noticed it's slow, switch to Wi-Fi.  Chances are you'll find an at&t hot spot close to you.

30 of 43 (1,151 Views)