HTC Inspire 4G OTA update for Sideloading

Guru

HTC Inspire 4G OTA update for Sideloading

I was wondering if anybody on here has received the OTA update for sideloading on the HTC Inspire?

I have read on multiple sites that there should be an OTA update to allow non-market apps such as Amazon app store but i have yet to receive it. 

Message 1 of 32 (4,456 Views)
Teacher

Re: HTC Inspire 4G OTA update for Sideloading

Seems to me they would have been better served if they would have just put this out there as a WiFi update that we could access.
Message 16 of 32 (2,729 Views)
Professor

bought4life wrote:

Sideload Wonder Machine is a very nice alternative to rooting while waiting for the update. Yes, it is a little annoying having to copy the apk to your computer first, but the program runs smooth and it is better than missing out on the AppStore's free app of the day. Some of my favorite programs came as a result of the daily giveaway (TuneIn Radio Pro, Akinator, FlexT9, Swift Keyboard), so it is well worth trying it.

Yes, it is an annoyance, however it works well. I was using it, then I found out you can enable it with the latest version of SuperOneClick. With SOC, you choose the option to root the phone and then then you click the button to "allow non market apps". The phone doesn't really get rooted due to the nand security restriction, but once you restart your phone, installing from the sd card does work. It doesn't add the option to the settings menu, but it is enabled. You can then install from the Amazon App Store without connecting to a PC or install any apk file directly from the sd card. Nothing else with your phone changes and I have seen not reports of it causing any issues with the phone. Once AT&T pushes the update to you, it should get added to the settings menu.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1072649

Message 17 of 32 (2,723 Views)

I haven't gotten either. This ridiculous
Message 18 of 32 (2,720 Views)

Those ppl at at&t have no clue. Some tech support guy is supposed to send something for me to finish the update for all 3 of my phones. Waiting to see what happens. The first lady I talked to had no idea what I was talking about. Wow! What a company
Message 19 of 32 (2,705 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks sitnsidewayz

...did it tonight and it worked like a charm.

I can now install from my SD Card and Amazon.

Just to let everyone know.....you may get error messages saying it failed when you do the Universal Root (I did), but ignore it. Just go ahead and do the Allow Non-Market Apps and you will be fine.

Thanks Again

Message 20 of 32 (2,684 Views)
Highlighted

Superoneclick will probably be the option.  The update will not survive a factory reset should you have to perform one and AT&T is well aware of that. 

Message 21 of 32 (2,847 Views)
Contributor

How can I get this update to download/install? I tried checking today and it said I had no updates available.

What version software should I see once its installed?

Message 22 of 32 (2,759 Views)
Professor

Padinn wrote:

How can I get this update to download/install? I tried checking today and it said I had no updates available.

What version software should I see once its installed?

There will be no change to the software version. When you go to Menu>Settings>Applications, you will see a new option for enabling installing from unknown sources that wasn't there before. There is no way to force the OTA update. The best you can do is call CS and see if you can get them to manually push it to your phone. However, from what I've been reading, the system to push it has been down a lot and/or there is a good chance the rep you speak to won't even know what you are asking for and will be of no help.

Message 23 of 32 (2,715 Views)

I've called numerous times for this update.  They say they are sending it and on my phone I will get a pop-up asking if I want to complete the install and I hit yes but nothing ever happens.  Finally yesterday I called in and they had me do a master reset but still the option for unknown sources was not there so they said that my phone isn't accepting it even though their system shows it has it and that I need to return the phone and get a new one (I am still within my 30 day window).  I asked them about my wife's phone since it's doing the same thing and they said return it too.  Fun.

Message 24 of 32 (2,287 Views)
Professor

ChumpChange wrote:

I've called numerous times for this update.

If you read this thread, you will see that customer service can't send the OTA update for a single person, so calling them over and over was a waste of your time and theirs.

Message 25 of 32 (2,247 Views)

Well the tech support people I talked to said according to their system my phone was already updated.  I apologize for wasting anyone's time including yours for having to read and reply to my post.

Message 26 of 32 (2,240 Views)
Professor

redpoint73 wrote:

ChumpChange wrote:

If you read this thread, you will see that customer service can't send the OTA update for a single person, so calling them over and over was a waste of your time and theirs.

Frontline CS can't send it to a device, but they can transfer a person to the proper dept where they can push it to an individual device. That is how I finally got the update, except I did it through tech chat.

Message 27 of 32 (2,233 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

ChumpChange wrote:

Well the tech support people I talked to said according to their system my phone was already updated.  I apologize for wasting anyone's time including yours for having to read and reply to my post.

No need to apologize, and you weren't wasting my time.  My point was simply that the people you were talking to couldn't help you, so calling them over and over again was not a value-added effort.

Message 28 of 32 (2,226 Views)
Professor

sitnsidewayz wrote:

redpoint73 wrote:

ChumpChange wrote:

Frontline CS can't send it to a device, but they can transfer a person to the proper dept where they can push it to an individual device. That is how I finally got the update, except I did it through tech chat.

That's good to know, I don't think that has been mentioned in this thread.  Probably good info for ChumpChange.

Message 29 of 32 (2,225 Views)

It is good info.  I was actually transferred to the same people but they said my phone was rejecting it so I guess I will return ir this evening after work.

Message 30 of 32 (2,214 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support