Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 27, 2011
7:43:38 AM
View profile
HTC Inspire 4 G phone cannot connect to home Wi-Fi.

I have a new HTC Inspire 4G phone and have been sucessful in learning how to use most of the features. However, I have one problem, and I'm hoping that I can find an answer here.

The problem I am having is the inability to use my home wi-fi system while operating the phone to connect to the internet and download various files.  The goal being to keep to a minimum the use of my AT& T data package.( this was suggested by the person who sold me the new phone )

I have been using a Linksys WRT54G router for years to go online with a laptop computer and it is working properly.  I also have a record of the WEP key code.

The phone will recognize that my Linksys wi-fi connection is available.  When I attempt to connect, I am prompted for the WEP key and asked what channel my router is set on.

I selected channel 2 after looking at my router and entered the WEP key.

On the phone, I see "connecting to Linksys ( my account), but it never connects.( I have waited several minutes and made many attempts, but the phone never "finds" my wi- fi )

Can someone suggest a solution to this problem ?

All I can think of is that my older Linksys WRT54G router may not be compatable with the 4G phone, but that is only a guess.

I might add that I have set up another HTC Inspire 4G phone to connect to my daughter's home wi-fi. She has a newer Cisco router and we were sucessful on the vary first attempt.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Hanagan

Wheaton, IL

I have a new HTC Inspire 4G phone and have been sucessful in learning how to use most of the features. However, I have one problem, and I'm hoping that I can find an answer here.

The problem I am having is the inability to use my home wi-fi system while operating the phone to connect to the internet and download various files.  The goal being to keep to a minimum the use of my AT& T data package.( this was suggested by the person who sold me the new phone )

I have been using a Linksys WRT54G router for years to go online with a laptop computer and it is working properly.  I also have a record of the WEP key code.

The phone will recognize that my Linksys wi-fi connection is available.  When I attempt to connect, I am prompted for the WEP key and asked what channel my router is set on.

I selected channel 2 after looking at my router and entered the WEP key.

On the phone, I see "connecting to Linksys ( my account), but it never connects.( I have waited several minutes and made many attempts, but the phone never "finds" my wi- fi )

Can someone suggest a solution to this problem ?

All I can think of is that my older Linksys WRT54G router may not be compatable with the 4G phone, but that is only a guess.

I might add that I have set up another HTC Inspire 4G phone to connect to my daughter's home wi-fi. She has a newer Cisco router and we were sucessful on the vary first attempt.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Hanagan

Wheaton, IL

HTC Inspire 4 G phone cannot connect to home Wi-Fi.

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 7:48:24 AM
(0)
Scholar
this could be the result of several different possibilites. IMHO, it probably is time for anothwer router, but we can try to get you up and going right now with your current router. does it give you any error message or anything along those lines after waiting for it to connect?
this could be the result of several different possibilites. IMHO, it probably is time for anothwer router, but we can try to get you up and going right now with your current router. does it give you any error message or anything along those lines after waiting for it to connect?

Re: HTC Inspire 4 G phone cannot connect to home Wi-Fi.

2 of 16 (4,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 7:49:27 AM
(0)
Scholar
ps sorry for any typos, broken hand is not conducive to good typing Smiley Very Happy
ps sorry for any typos, broken hand is not conducive to good typing Smiley Very Happy

3 of 16 (4,522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 8:12:01 AM
(0)
Teacher

Jeremy,

No need to apoligize for the typos.  Last year I had a broken wrist, so I know how difficult even small tasks can be.

I do not receive any error messages.  The "connecting to Linksys ( my account name ) " just keeps flashing, but it never connects.

When I did this on the Cisco router, the other phone connected right away.

The WEP key is a long number, so I thought that perhaps I didn't enter it properly.  I tried it many times, so I'm sure it was the correct entry.

Jeremy,

No need to apoligize for the typos.  Last year I had a broken wrist, so I know how difficult even small tasks can be.

I do not receive any error messages.  The "connecting to Linksys ( my account name ) " just keeps flashing, but it never connects.

When I did this on the Cisco router, the other phone connected right away.

The WEP key is a long number, so I thought that perhaps I didn't enter it properly.  I tried it many times, so I'm sure it was the correct entry.

4 of 16 (4,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 8:15:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

Jeremy,

Two more things.

1. I searched "wi fi" on this forum and read at least 10 pages of posts.  Did not find any help there.

2.  I could go with a new router, but the old Linksys is working so well between my desktop and laptop that I don't want to take any chance of messing that up.

Thanks for your input.

Hanagan

Jeremy,

Two more things.

1. I searched "wi fi" on this forum and read at least 10 pages of posts.  Did not find any help there.

2.  I could go with a new router, but the old Linksys is working so well between my desktop and laptop that I don't want to take any chance of messing that up.

Thanks for your input.

Hanagan

5 of 16 (4,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 8:39:30 AM
(0)
Teacher

I should clarify one thing I said above.

After I enter the WEP key, I see this message.

"Obtaining the IP address of Lindsys xxx"   Where xxx is my wi fi network.  So I know it's looking for the correct wi fi connection.

Must leave now, but I'll check here later.

Hanagan

I should clarify one thing I said above.

After I enter the WEP key, I see this message.

"Obtaining the IP address of Lindsys xxx"   Where xxx is my wi fi network.  So I know it's looking for the correct wi fi connection.

Must leave now, but I'll check here later.

Hanagan

6 of 16 (4,511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 9:42:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

WiFi and 4G have nothing to do with each other, so that's not the problem.  Also, the Linksys WRT54G is an extremely common router, for the fact that it is extremely reliable and just a plain great router.  Its what I have at home, and it works just fine with any number of smartphones, including my Desire Z (same generation of phone as the Inspire) and the brand new HTC Flyer tablet.  I disagree with the above suggestion to replace the router, and I think that would just be a waste of your money. If you router is working with other devices (like your laptop), I doubt the router is the problem.

Seems like you could do a lot more trouble shooting to isolate the problem.  First thing to try, is to reboot the router:  just unplug, and plug it back in, and wait for a minute or 2 for it to restart.  Other things to try, is to see if your daughter's Inspire works on your Linksys router, of if your Inspire works on her Cisco router, or other WiFi routers.  You should also try to restart the phone, to make sure its not some fleeting problem that just requires a reboot.  Hold the power button until the option to restart pops up.  Powering off, then on again is not a full reboot (really just a deep sleep mode) unless you disable Fast boot in Settings>applications.

WiFi and 4G have nothing to do with each other, so that's not the problem.  Also, the Linksys WRT54G is an extremely common router, for the fact that it is extremely reliable and just a plain great router.  Its what I have at home, and it works just fine with any number of smartphones, including my Desire Z (same generation of phone as the Inspire) and the brand new HTC Flyer tablet.  I disagree with the above suggestion to replace the router, and I think that would just be a waste of your money. If you router is working with other devices (like your laptop), I doubt the router is the problem.

Seems like you could do a lot more trouble shooting to isolate the problem.  First thing to try, is to reboot the router:  just unplug, and plug it back in, and wait for a minute or 2 for it to restart.  Other things to try, is to see if your daughter's Inspire works on your Linksys router, of if your Inspire works on her Cisco router, or other WiFi routers.  You should also try to restart the phone, to make sure its not some fleeting problem that just requires a reboot.  Hold the power button until the option to restart pops up.  Powering off, then on again is not a full reboot (really just a deep sleep mode) unless you disable Fast boot in Settings>applications.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 16 (4,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 10:19:58 AM
(0)
Teacher

CL,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try them and report back here.

I do know the both of the phones involved will work on the Cisco router.  However, I did not try my daughter's phone on the Linksys router.  Nor have I been to any wi fi hot spot to see if my phone will connect.  Her phone connected to a wi fi spot at a local restaurant recently.

I believe that I'm very near to solving this little problem.  Maybe re-booting the router and/or the phone is the answer.  I do recall that the first several times I attempted to connect. I had the phone set to channel 1.  When I checked the router, I noticed it was on channei 2.  Maybe that caused some problem and a re-boot is the answer.

Hanagan

CL,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll try them and report back here.

I do know the both of the phones involved will work on the Cisco router.  However, I did not try my daughter's phone on the Linksys router.  Nor have I been to any wi fi hot spot to see if my phone will connect.  Her phone connected to a wi fi spot at a local restaurant recently.

I believe that I'm very near to solving this little problem.  Maybe re-booting the router and/or the phone is the answer.  I do recall that the first several times I attempted to connect. I had the phone set to channel 1.  When I checked the router, I noticed it was on channei 2.  Maybe that caused some problem and a re-boot is the answer.

Hanagan

8 of 16 (4,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 2:58:27 PM
(0)
Teacher

In my original post, I left out one detail that I'd like to mention here.

When this Linksys WRT54G router was first install in about 2006, I printed a message that showed me what the WEP/WAP Key is and I kept that message.  I opened the envelope where it was stored, and I found a second message with another WEP/WAP Key.

Now I don't know for certain which Key is the proper one to use.  I really don't remember why I have two Keys. Since the Key includes 26 characters, it would be helpful to know which one is correct.

Here's my question.  Is there a way to find out what the WEP Key is on my router ?  I tried to run CMD and bing 192.168.1.1, but I can't find the WEP key.

What am I missing ?  Thanks.

Hanagan

In my original post, I left out one detail that I'd like to mention here.

When this Linksys WRT54G router was first install in about 2006, I printed a message that showed me what the WEP/WAP Key is and I kept that message.  I opened the envelope where it was stored, and I found a second message with another WEP/WAP Key.

Now I don't know for certain which Key is the proper one to use.  I really don't remember why I have two Keys. Since the Key includes 26 characters, it would be helpful to know which one is correct.

Here's my question.  Is there a way to find out what the WEP Key is on my router ?  I tried to run CMD and bing 192.168.1.1, but I can't find the WEP key.

What am I missing ?  Thanks.

Hanagan

9 of 16 (4,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 4:47:34 PM
(0)
Master
Type that ip address into your address url line in your browser to open up the device settings menu for the device. It should ask you for the password. Hopefully you have that written down or it was left on the default password. Once in the device settings you can look/change at the wireless password.

While you are in there, you may want to consider verifying you have the latest firmware update for the router.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Type that ip address into your address url line in your browser to open up the device settings menu for the device. It should ask you for the password. Hopefully you have that written down or it was left on the default password. Once in the device settings you can look/change at the wireless password.

While you are in there, you may want to consider verifying you have the latest firmware update for the router.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

10 of 16 (4,477 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 6:30:08 PM
(0)
Teacher

Warrior,

Thanks for the information.  I'll give that a try.  I assume that the "wireless password" that you mentioned is what I am calling the WEP/WAP Key.

Hanagan

Warrior,

Thanks for the information.  I'll give that a try.  I assume that the "wireless password" that you mentioned is what I am calling the WEP/WAP Key.

Hanagan

11 of 16 (3,818 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 27, 2011 6:33:17 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Ann154 on Jun 27, 2011 at 6:36:23 PM
Yes the wireless password would be the wep key.

Also my username is Ann154 and my rank on this community is currently Warrior. You should use the username instead of the user's rank if you want to start your posts off like a written letter.
Yes the wireless password would be the wep key.

Also my username is Ann154 and my rank on this community is currently Warrior. You should use the username instead of the user's rank if you want to start your posts off like a written letter.

[ Edited ]
12 of 16 (3,816 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2011 4:59:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

Ann154,

Thank you for calling to my attention that I used your rank instead of your Username.  I am new to this forum, but with that said, it was a careless mistake.

Hanagan

Ann154,

Thank you for calling to my attention that I used your rank instead of your Username.  I am new to this forum, but with that said, it was a careless mistake.

Hanagan

13 of 16 (3,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2011 7:08:49 AM
(0)
Teacher

Ann154,

I'm happy to report that I have been successful in connecting to my Linksys Wi-fi network.

To made a long story shorter, I was using the incorrect WEP key.  I mentioned in my initial post that I was able to find an old record with the WEP key.  The problem was that the old record must have been for a different router and not the Linksys I am presently using.

I used the method you suggested and found the correct key.  I entered the web address ( 192.168.1.1 ) of  the router and left "Username" blank, and used the "password" of "admin".  I then clicked on "wireless",and looked at "wireless security" to find the correct key.  It was only 10 characters long, and the incorrect one I had been using had 26 characters. I cannot remember where this old key came from. Perhaps the lesson for me should be to not keep old documents without properly detailing what they relate to.

Thank you and others in the forum for your assistance.

Hanagan

Wheaton, IL.

Ann154,

I'm happy to report that I have been successful in connecting to my Linksys Wi-fi network.

To made a long story shorter, I was using the incorrect WEP key.  I mentioned in my initial post that I was able to find an old record with the WEP key.  The problem was that the old record must have been for a different router and not the Linksys I am presently using.

I used the method you suggested and found the correct key.  I entered the web address ( 192.168.1.1 ) of  the router and left "Username" blank, and used the "password" of "admin".  I then clicked on "wireless",and looked at "wireless security" to find the correct key.  It was only 10 characters long, and the incorrect one I had been using had 26 characters. I cannot remember where this old key came from. Perhaps the lesson for me should be to not keep old documents without properly detailing what they relate to.

Thank you and others in the forum for your assistance.

Hanagan

Wheaton, IL.

14 of 16 (3,766 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2011 8:14:36 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Glad you were able to fix your problem.  Its always good to check the (seemingly) obvious solutions first!

Glad you were able to fix your problem.  Its always good to check the (seemingly) obvious solutions first!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 16 (3,760 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2011 8:34:41 AM
(0)
Master
A happy ending is always nice to hear about. Smiley Happy
A happy ending is always nice to hear about. Smiley Happy

16 of 16 (3,757 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments