HTC INSPIRE Charges

Contributor

HTC INSPIRE Charges

I am considering upgrading from phone 4 to the HTC INSPIRE for the "hot spot" capability. I already have a $30 per month data plan. If I upgrade will I be charged additional data fees for using the hot spot feature?

Message 1 of 11 (1,114 Views)
Master

Re: HTC INSPIRE Charges

The hotspot is an additional charge. You would need to select one of the smartphone data plans with the Hotspot tethering included. I don't recall what the pricing is for those plans.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 11 (1,108 Views)
Scholar

Anne. Not sure if that is 100% correct. There shouldn't be any extra charge for the person to "hotspot" their inspire so others can use the persons cell or WiFi bandwidth. But to tether the phone to a computer for internet use, yes they have to be on the "4g with tethering" plan.

Forgive me if I am wrong on this, but that is the way I understand the difference between hotspot and tethering.
Message 3 of 11 (1,093 Views)
Professor

The $30 Unlimited data plan does not allow for tethering of any kind.

Current data plan offerings are:

200mb for $15/month (no tethering)

2GB for $25/month  I believe tethering is allowed with this plan.

4GB for $45/month This plan allows for tethering.

If you really want to switch to the Inspire, that is certainly an option.  If the only reason for switching is to get HotSpot functionality, do not switch.  The iPhone4 has the same functionality when you have the correct data plan.

Message 4 of 11 (1,085 Views)
Master

The 2 GB for $25 per month does not allow tethering/mobile hotspot.
Message 5 of 11 (1,078 Views)
Tutor

To get the hotspot you will need to change your data plan to the 4gb data plan. With that plan you are able to tether and make a hotspot.
Message 6 of 11 (1,041 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

If that is the case aaric (and Ann), then I stand corrected and sorry for the confusen I could have given.

Message 7 of 11 (1,038 Views)
Professor

MrSteve wrote:
Anne. Not sure if that is 100% correct. There shouldn't be any extra charge for the person to "hotspot" their inspire so others can use the persons cell or WiFi bandwidth. But to tether the phone to a computer for internet use, yes they have to be on the "4g with tethering" plan.

Forgive me if I am wrong on this, but that is the way I understand the difference between hotspot and tethering.

Hotspot is a form of tethering.

You're forgiven.   :-P

Message 8 of 11 (982 Views)
Scholar

I know this is going to sound ignorant but what is the difference between hotspot and my phone telling me there is wifi available. That's what I thought hotspot referred to.

redpoint73 wrote:

MrSteve wrote:

Hotspot is a form of tethering.

You're forgiven.   :-P

Message 9 of 11 (910 Views)
Master

Wifi available is where your phone connects to a wireless router much like when your computer connects to the same wireless router.

A Hotspot is when your phone turns into a wireless router. Your computer can then connect to this "new" wireless router and then access the Internet through your phone's mobile data network.

HTH
Message 10 of 11 (907 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

lpudas wrote:

I know this is going to sound ignorant but what is the difference between hotspot and my phone telling me there is wifi available. That's what I thought hotspot referred to.

WiFi means you can connect to WiFi data networks.
WiFi Hotspot means you can act as a WiFI access points for other devices in the direct area, such as your laptop, or friend's phone.
Message 11 of 11 (607 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.