HTC Freesstyle Keeps locking up

Contributor

HTC Freesstyle Keeps locking up

Does anyone experience the HTC locking up? I have to keep pulling the battery out. Otherwise I like the phone. I just got it. Should I bring it back or try resetting the phone first?

Message 1 of 14 (3,739 Views)
Master

Re: HTC Freesstyle Keeps locking up

rockyguitar wrote:

Does anyone experience the HTC locking up? I have to keep pulling the battery out. Otherwise I like the phone. I just got it. Should I bring it back or try resetting the phone first?

Reset it first if you need to. If the locking/freezing continues, I would bring it back for an exchange.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 14 (3,734 Views)
Contributor

I personally think this is the absolute worst phone I have ever used, within one month of buying this phone (for $100, I might add) I am on my fourth one. Each phone I recieved ended up with the same problems. Within the first five minutes, my HTC Freestyle bricked itself. I was told it was just a "rare and random software problem," and I was given a new one. 15 days later, this second phone did the same thing, and was entirely unusable. I took it to the AT&T store and was yet again given a new one. This third phone, about 15 days later, the same amount of time as the one before, decided to just not boot up anymore. I am now on my fourth one, and there is nothing I can do about it. Other than the dying, this phone freezes all the time, shuts itself off all the time, glitches up, restarts with an error message that says: "Oops, an error has occurred, restarting." Not to also mention the horrible text messaging problems (duplicating recieved messages up to six times, late recieved messages, as well as notification problems). The worst part is that whenever I bring one of the broken phones back, the sales people act all surprised to see that it had problems, while all over the internet, people continuously have the same problems that I have. AT&T has screwed alot of people over with this phone, and if they or HTC don't do something to fix this phone, they will just continue to have problems. As an over six year customer, I can say that I am extremely dissatisfied with this phone and the problems I have with it.

Message 3 of 14 (3,724 Views)
Scholar

I bought a Freestyle for my teenager and in the process of setting it up we discovered the infamous "oops..." message a few times, a couple of battery pull events (no ctrl-alt-delete for this one...) and a couple of 'No SIM Card installed' events. Most definitely not encouraging.

Once it works, it works well. But. my main concern here is the lack of synchronization capability. The HTC software outright does not work - not the one posted on HTC's web site, and not the updated one.

The BREW platform is promising and I really like the Sense UI, as well as the overall hardware package. But...

This is a comment directed to AT&T as much as it is directed to HTC. AT&T seems to push everyone to data plan smartphones. But, not everyone wants or needs a data plan, and AT&T does not plan to offer anything resembling a data plan for families (Say, $50/month for 4-5 GB shared). The list of 'quick messaging phones' is full of devices slightly more powerful than the FireFly, devices whose build quality matches that of Fisher-Price toys, and devices that were great in 2004-2005. Ironically, the Freestyle is the perfect messaging phone, when it works. And it does not seem to work very well.

My teenager kept a 2007 smartphone (grandfathered-no data) for 3+ years without a problem. Most of her friends tried the messaging phones by LG or Samsung, and they never lasted more than a year, year and a half tops. Smartphones did (we've had this discussion before, right?). So, the Freestyle again was a great match but alas, with the worst software quality I've ever seen in a cellphone, and lack of support from HTC, it is hard to see things moving forward.

I tried to sign up to the HTC forums but they never sent a confirmation email... Hilarious.

Message 4 of 14 (3,696 Views)
Contributor

Picked up my third one today, 1st one locked up and received multiple copies of text, 2nd one same stuff plus made random calls on its own.  If ATT would admit problem I would trade for another brand, If not I may set record for number of phones returned.

Message 5 of 14 (3,558 Views)

My dad chose this model and he's on his second one! Got first one this Saturday, then the second one yesterday.

First one reset on its own after I entered all his contacts for him. Second one bricked after recharging the battery (after bringing it home from store) when I turned it on.

He's really angry and we are taking it back to the store to get a completely different model. I got the HTC Inspire and have no problems. I can't believe ATT is willing to still sell this phone despite all the problems!
Message 6 of 14 (3,531 Views)
Scholar

My daughter's second Freestyle is going back tomorrow. It worked fairly well for a week, that is, locked up once during initial setup, then on Monday and Thursday drained the battery on its own while sitting in her school locker (poor reception), Friday locked up on its own requiring a battery pull, and Sunday it stopped recognizing the SIM card.

The funny part. I'm looking at the reviews of the likely contenders, and they're all competing on the race to the bottom. In 2009, when AT&T came up with their omnipotent mandatory data plans, I raised the issue that for a lot of people, a smartphone without a data plan is perfect because of the reliability and durability. Nobody really gave this much thought, but her nearly 4 year old BlackJack II never ONCE locked up on her or me, never drained battery, never had reliability issues, and so on. Instead, we see phones where half the 300+ reviewers complain of 'freezes' and the other half of battery life or other issues.

And the sad part? companies that make very good quality phones (like Nokia) are about to bite the dust because they were too late to catch on to the 'apps fad' and the like.

Funny as it may seem, I may get her a GoPhone Nokia X2 or whatever....

Message 7 of 14 (3,523 Views)
Master

Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do! I was personally considering a Freestyle as my next upgrade, with it being a non-smartphone that's made by a quality manufacturer like HTC, but after hearing all of the problems it has, it has well been taken off the list for sure.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 8 of 14 (3,517 Views)
Professor

turbo46032 wrote:
her nearly 4 year old BlackJack II never ONCE locked up on her or me, never drained battery, never had reliability issues, and so on.

Must be one heck of a magical phone that doesn't use battery power!

Message 9 of 14 (3,503 Views)
Scholar

redpoint73 wrote:

turbo46032 wrote:
her nearly 4 year old BlackJack II never ONCE locked up on her or me, never drained battery, never had reliability issues, and so on.

Must be one heck of a magical phone that doesn't use battery power!

Compared to my Samsung Focus, and especially the Freestyle, the BlackJack II did indeed have magical powers, battery and otherwise.The BlackJack II had its problems (Windows Mobile being the main one :-)) but the thing worked for nearly 4 years...

The Freestyle made me really wonder about how someone like Qualcomm and HTC would put their names on the product and sleep at night. The sad part is that the Freestyle is slightly less good than a lot of other 'feature phones' offered by AT&T... Look at the comments on the Neon II, Pantech Laser, Samsung Strive, etc etc and it's truly depressing. Half the phones I mentioned have a high percentage of users reporting issues with battery life or freezing...

But then, this was probably AT&T's goal all along. Offer the worst possible feature phones for those without data plans and hope they will 'graduate' to even the $15/month data plan.

Message 10 of 14 (3,496 Views)
Contributor

Be ready for several trips to the ATT store.  I will be exchanging for my third HTC Freestyle because of lockup issues since I got  it a week ago.  No reasonable solution in sight.  This phone replaced my LG Xenon that cratered after less than 18 months.  It does not appear to me that ATT does much advance testing or analysis before they drop a phone on the unsuspecting public.  Profits rather than customer satisfaction seem to be the only goals.

Message 11 of 14 (2,601 Views)

Spoiler

The same thing has happened to me.  In fact, so many Walmart customers have brought back the phone that they were out of stock.  I have to wait 2 weeks to get my third replacement.

Message 12 of 14 (2,494 Views)

The same thing happened to me.  In fact, so many people have brought this phone back to Wal Mart that they were out of stock.  I have to wait 2 weeks to get my third phone.  I hope the new shipment was made with better quality control.

Message 13 of 14 (2,494 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

2 of the 3 I purchased did same.Exchanged for different phone.Too bad it was very stylish and compact.

Message 14 of 14 (2,333 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.