HTC Desire

Mentor

HTC Desire

haven't been on here in a while, but i came across this....

didn't see a thread for it yet. sure seems exciting.  I will be getting this if it does indeed come to at&t.  otherwise, the nexus one will do just fine...

HTC DESIRE ON AT&T

Message 1 of 1,139 (57,876 Views)
Scholar

Re: HTC Desire

How are you liking your N1 Vydor? What have you installed on it so far? Smiley Very Happy

Message 556 of 1,139 (895 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

To try and get away for a min. from the fear mongering atom's tryign to propagate... Most consumers are well aware that any smartphone you buy could be outdated within 6 months or less, most people simply upgrade at their convenience, at least those who actually need to have a decent phone and can't wait indefinitely for the latest and greatest. That being said, there are some actual concrete arguments against the N1 which anyone who's still considering it should weigh carefully, 'specially if you've got other options besides AT&T (Sprint's my only other valid option, for the record).

Off the top of my mind, here's the short list... First off there's the touch sensor, newer HTC models (like the EVO/Incredible) have better multi-touch accurancy. This isn't a big factor for most people, it's most obvious w/certain games, not the usual UI gestures, but it's worth mentioning. Older phones from other manufacturers (like the Droid) also have a better touch sensor, FWIW. Second, newer HTC models have tweaked certain other aspects of the design like the speakerphone port and the trackball... When the N1 one lies flat on it back it has a tendency to block out much of the speakerphone's loudness, and the N1's trackball is considrered a lot less reliable than the more recent touchpads.

On the other hand the trackball has a pretty unique aspect to it, the multi-color LEDs under it can be used for different notifications (e-mail, txt, calls, etc) whereas on most phones you just get a single-color LED for that (the same LED that serves to alert battery charging status). That's actually pretty noteworthy from a productivity standpoint imo. Obviously whether you can stomach paying full price for an un-subsidized phone while still paying the same monthly rate is a personal issue, if I had no options I'd have no problem doing so but I have at 'least one valid option (that being Sprint) which I'm still considering.

Finally there's one huge point that still favors the Nexus One, it will probaby receive future Android updates before any other phone, by far; and with Froyo/2.2 just on the horizon that's mighty hard to ignore. Phones w/HTC's Sense skin/mods (or Moto's MotoBlur, or Samsung's TouchWiz) have usually waited a bit longer for updates, altho ultimately the carrier and manufacturers themselves are a bigger roadblock than the phone's software. For instance the Samsung Moment ran bone stock Android and it's just now getting 2.1, while the Hero/Droid Erics run Sense over Android and they're also getting 2.1 just now.

In the end it's kind of a lottery either way and if you don't mind rooting/voiding the warranty there's always ways around it. HTC phones do have one of the largest user dev communities behind it tho (along w/Moto's Droid), which means there's a lot of alternate ROMs/updates for it. That's another thing the N1 (or any HTC phone) has got going for it vs something like the Galaxy S.

Froyo also aims to address this issue by splitting off core Google apps (mail, browser, etc.) from the OS itself, but until you're actually running Froyo/2.2 that's of little help. We'll probably know a lot more about this topic after the end of the week and Google's I/O conference!

P.S. No need for personal attacks to make a valid argument... Smiley Wink

Message 557 of 1,139 (871 Views)
Scholar

Ramon2k wrote:

I too am getting perilously close to finally leaving at&t after 10+ years. I refuse to get an iPhone what with Apple's predatory practices and unearthly control so I have patiently awaited an Android based smartphone. First they released the Backflip, a sorry excuse of a phone - what the heck was Motoroal thinking when they designed this PoS???.  To add insult to injury, at&t restricted access for developers in much the same way Apple is doing. Scratch the Backflip. Now they announce the Dell Aeroas coming soon - boy I thought Dell was serious about joining the smartphone market. another PoS in the making, 624ghz processor, only 480X360 resolution and who knows what at&t will do when it finally releases.

So now it's a last chance scenario - will they learn from their mistakes and finally announce the Desire with out all of the restrictions that Android and Google intended? We'll see but I had to say Verizon or even lowly Sprint may be in my future. too many years of patiently waiting on at&t has taken it's toll. seems like the tail (former at&t) is waging the dog. I guess the parent of Cingular just got tired of being a reputible cell phone leader so they pulled in the old crap from a dying AT&T, gave in lowercase letters to indicate the downgrade.

Come on corporate, get with the picture!

First off the locked bootloader is something that Motorola has done to every android phone short of the droid. Even the milestone has the bootloader locked.

Second it has been well documented that he aero will use google search. The big problem with it is that it will still be using 1.5.

Message 558 of 1,139 (866 Views)
Contributor

You would think that AT&T would notice that people are leaveing to other companys to get HTC phones like the Droid Inderible and they would release a 2.1 android phone like the Desire. AT&T needs to drop the dell aero phone and get a HTC one soon or more people are going to keep leaving. =/

Message 559 of 1,139 (838 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

quetzalcoatl wrote:

First off the locked bootloader is something that Motorola has done to every android phone short of the droid. Even the milestone has the bootloader locked.

Second it has been well documented that he aero will use google search. The big problem with it is that it will still be using 1.5.

It isn't very hard to switch up the Backflip's default search provider either, yeah Yahoo is the default but you can change it... And it isn't very hard to side-load non-market apps unto it either, you just had to instal the Android SDK on your PC. The fact is, the Backflip (and the Aero) sucked even before AT&T got their hands on them, even as budget phones they aren't that impressive. The Backflip's got a weird design and MotoBlur is a system hog if you ask me, tho some people seem to like it, the Aero's probably more passable for the average consumer.

For the enthusiast or power user they were both woefully outdated/slow from a hardware point of view even before they were released. Add to that the fact that they're still running 1.5 or 1.6 and they were crummy or mediocre phones even before AT&T messed w/them, the press just chose to focus on that since AT&T doesn't have any other options and they jumped in the game late.

Current budget Android phones like the Hero/Eris or Moment have taken a while to receive 2.1 and they're slow compared to the newest phones but they didn't generate as much bad press because of Sprint/VZW's timing in releasing them, etc. Ultimately it's still AT&T's fault for being late to the game, but way too much has been made of their so-called crippling imo. Lack of choice is still the larger issue, we keep bagging on it and the Aero isn't even out yet for pete's sake!

Verizon and Sprint costumers have had those older models for 5-8 months now (Hero/Eris, Moment, Devour, etc.), Verizon customers have had the higher-end Droid for around 6 months as well and recently got the Incredible, Sprint's getting the EVO 4G in a couple of weeks. Even T-Mo has had it's budget phones (myTouch) and highlights (first to score an Android phone, first to have a subsidized Snapdragon phone in the N1, even if it was done halfway and only for new subscribers)... AT&T has had the Backflip. Smiley Mad

Obviously the other providers have shown a bigger commitment to the platform, how to weigh that is ultimately up to each individual consumer... But it weighs heavily for me when considering a full-price N1, more so than any fear of newer and future models overshadowing it.

AT&T's still tied down heavily by it's relationship w/Apple and it doesn't look like that's gonna change anytime soon. I wouldn't be surprised if that had a far-reaching effect on other aspects of their business; like LTE rollout schedules vs iPhone release schedules vs current iPhone/iPad network issues in NYC/SF. Being at the mercy of those factors when you're not using an iPhone is worrisome.

Message 560 of 1,139 (837 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

I am still on this board and not going anywhere !!! I just prefer to read instead of commenting a lot since I don't know too much about the stuff. All I know is that, I want the Desire, it might sound stupid but the stupid trackball that is sticking out off of the phone is the deal breaker for me. I wish it can be removed and replaced with a trackpad or something.

{please be courteous}

Message 561 of 1,139 (829 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

It doesn't stick out much dude, if at all, its not like it's an old-school arcade trackball or something, hah... Have you seen the Hero's? Same deal, plus as I mentioned before, the multi-color LED notifications under it are pretty neat if you leave your phone on silent a lot. Most other phones just have a single-color notification LED for all events. The touchpad is more durable if you plan to keep it for a few years tho.

I've heard of plenty of Blackberry users w/busted trackballs, even saw some poor sap at Best Buy asking if they sold said trackballs yesterday (they sent him to Ebay :/ )... Dust gets in there and screws it up I guess. I was at BB inquiring about the EVO but they don't know if they'll have them in-store at Puerto Rico at the same time as the US (June 4th), even tho Radio Shack claims they will, and so does Sprint, but the Shack won't let me pre-order even tho they've got the ad for the pre-order program plastered on their window! lol BB will actually let me pre-order it too, w/o knowing when it'll get in... It's all so backwards.

Message 562 of 1,139 (820 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

It'd be mighty interesting if we could take a poll of everyone that's participated in the thread to find out what they've done... Whether they got a N1, switched carriers, or are still waiting; even if we're just a vocal but perhaps minor cross-section of AT&T smartphone users. I've seen more people coming back to state they got a N1 than anything, but that doesn't mean much, those that switched carriers probably never visted the AT&T boards again. Smiley Tongue You can probably count me on that bunch within a couple of weeks, this week's announcements at Google's I/O is gonna be big for everyone that's still on the fence.

Message 563 of 1,139 (808 Views)
Scholar

I didn't know you were in PR, cool. Yeah I was at BB yesterday and saw the Hero and I posted here to see if it was the same trackball on N1 but noone responded but now I know it is the same, thanks for that. It didn't seem to be sticking out too much, you are right on that. It is also cool for the different color notifications for different things.

Which one is a stronger phone though? The Desire or the N1? I mean in terms of rom,processor,etc....I can buy the Desire on eBay for $600 bucks with free shipping & I can get $60 bucks back with bing cashback & eBay bucks which takes it down to $540. Also, I can't decide if I want the original color Desire or the new Black one which is sold for $600 on newegg.com right now. you can only get %2 cashback from shopping on newegg though, through bing.

I just wish I can play with both phones before buying it. It'd make it a lot easier to decide.

Message 564 of 1,139 (803 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

AFAIK the Black one wasn't available w/AT&T bands (wasn't it a UK exclusive? or did the aussies get that one?)... Even those aussie Desires that support AT&T's 3G bands only support 1900 MHz tho, no? Not 850? That might affect your coverage/speed depending on location, I dunno, I'd be a LOT more confident in getting the N1 straight from Google w/the proper 3G support and a guaranteed warranty...

As far as the hardware itself they're virtually identical tho, same Snapdragon processor, same touch sensor, roughly the same amount of RAM/ROM (the Desire's memory is partitioned slightly different but it's just a couple of MB one way or the other IIRC)... The differences are mostly external tweaks and the software, the Desire has HTC's Sense atop Android obviously, a touchpad vs a trackball, and a 2nd port for the speakerphone so it's louder while laying down. Those are the only major differences I can remember.

Edit: Oh! I forgot one more difference, the fact that the Desire doesn't have those charging contact pads at the bottom like the Nexus One does, so you can't use the Nexus One's charging dock or car dock w/the Desire (and there likely won't be one made for it). Personally, between that and the questionable band support I'd just get the N1, that's just me tho, it's cheaper anyway (or at 'least you don't have to jump thru as many hoops).

Message 565 of 1,139 (797 Views)
Scholar

I think I'd go with the original color if I go with the Desire. The black doesn't look too attractive for some reason. The thing is, I work from home and I am not out a lot so the 3g stuff is not really a problem for me. I don't even know if I'd sign up for an internet plan at all. 

When it comes to design between the 2 phones, I like the N1 a bit better because it doesn't have that tilt right by the bottom of the phone. N1 also has the noise canceling function I think when u r in a loud environment. 

The fact that Google is not even going to provide any support at all for the N1 anymore kinda scares me. I heard that they are going to sell the phone through retailers soon, so maybe I will just wait a bit more and hopefully will get to play with it at some retail store.

Message 566 of 1,139 (785 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Hey, what is this Overclocked stuff about? I saw a N1 on eBay and this is what it says.

he phone will also be OVERCLOCKED to 1.13GHz compared to the factory original 986MHz, which makes this Nexus One faster than any other phone out in the market.

Does this OVERCLOCKING make the phone unstable or anything?

Message 567 of 1,139 (729 Views)
Scholar

It has the potential for it, and/or burn thru the batt. faster... Plenty of people overclock their Droids from 600MHz up to 1GHz tho... I haven't really read much about how well the N1 or Snapdragon OC tho. Anyway, Google is NOT ceasing support on the N1... They're just gonna stop selling it online, eventually, but they made it clear warranties and whatnot will still be covered. It's still gonna get Android updates sooner than any other phone too since it's their development and phone and standard. I'm not sure if AT&T would let you use it sans a data plan tho...
Message 568 of 1,139 (712 Views)
Scholar

Well, I currently have an iPhone and don't have the data plan with it.I just use it on wi-fi at home. They can't force you to sign up for it,maybe if u bought it from them directly but I bought mine on eBay. 

So, overclocking just drains your battery faster I assume then???

Message 569 of 1,139 (706 Views)
Scholar

It does have the potential to cause harm... Everything's gonna run hottes, etc. How long have you had the iPhone? They did alter their data plan & smartphone policies last August... I've actually got a similar doubt, my sister has a Nokia E71x she bought from AT&T before data plans were mandatory with new smartphones, she has no data plan... If she gave it to my mother for use on a different account, would she then be forced to activate data? Gonna have to ask this elsewhere on the boards.
Message 570 of 1,139 (692 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.