HTC Desire

Mentor

HTC Desire

haven't been on here in a while, but i came across this....

didn't see a thread for it yet. sure seems exciting.  I will be getting this if it does indeed come to at&t.  otherwise, the nexus one will do just fine...

HTC DESIRE ON AT&T

Tags (3)
Message 1 of 1,139

Re: HTC Desire

jphilippakos wrote:

OKAY, I just went into an AT&T store, and here is the info I got from the rep...

They HAVE had training on the desire, so it is looking like they will in fact get the phone.... The chosen search and e-mail apps are *drumroll please*.... GOOGLE!!!!!!!! Gmail will be able to support direct push of MULTIPLE gmail accounts (more than 2). They are planning for a MAY release date, but are pushing for April. And for those who's hands are as big as mine and hate the fact that Android phones only rotate to landscape when editing a message, it looks like there will in fact be a pseudo-universal landscape mode on the phone (though she wasn't 100% sure about that part).

Hope this makes everyone as excited as it has me!

-John

i'm not trying to say you're wrong on this but they said the same thing about the backflip in january. it had google but then a week before the release people find out its now yahoo. i really hope you're right and at&t wised up but i don't believe anything from at&t until it really happens or comes out. i emailed at&t a week ago and this is what i got back.
Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T regarding your dissatisfaction with our first Android phone the Backflip and want details about our future Android phones. I apologize for any frustration or confusion this issue may have caused. My name is Robert Mann, and I am happy to help you with your inquiry.We have made a commitment to begin offering all of the major smartphone operating systems but we do not have any details yet about the device models or launch dates besides the Motorola Backflip. With Android smartphones you can enjoy:1. Full "PC-like" Internet browsing experience 2. Wi-Fi connectivity 3. Easy touch-friendly interface 4. The ability to run multiple apps at the same time 5. Access to hundreds of apps and thousands of widgets on Android Market 6. Media player and video recording 7. Third-party apps 8. Email connectivity and more Sign up today to receive email alerts as soon as Android devices become available for purchase and detail descriptions of what each phone will be able to do by going to:
 its sad too because for me i love at&t coverage in my area, i live in NY and some of my friends have verizon and they have way more dead zones than me. but i'm just growing so tired of at&t falling so short on their phones. and i'm giving them till the end of may and if they don't come out with a great android i'm leaving. i think my ETF should be $80-85 by then. i had 5 of my friends leave at&t last year and all of them have android phones from verizon or sprint. 2 of them were former iphone owners and they love android 

Message 31 of 1,139
Mentor

You may be right and  the phone comes out in early summer, I decided not to wait the Nexus phone will only cost me at the maximum 300.00 more than the potential At&t "pig in the poke" Desire phone.  Now if At&t would give me free activation and I thought the phone was'nt going be locked out of using non At&t certificate software I would wait.

Message 32 of 1,139

well i'm guessing it should only be a few days now till at&t give us dates or at least which other android phones they'll really be getting since the CTIA show is this week in vegas. also looking forward to hearing what at&t has done to improve their network. we all can only hope at&t gets their act together with android. also waiting to hear about sprint and their plans on when 4g will hit their cell phones. well i'm looking forward to hearing all of the providers plans on the 4g seen. 
Message Edited by MyPhilosophy on 03-21-2010 04:24:59 PM
Message 33 of 1,139
Mentor

I decided to wait I am not too interested in the 4g connection where i live the edge connection is as fast as the 3g (at least it seems)

I like the Iphone well enough except the calendar stinks and you have to jump through hoops to personalize the darn thing. 

Message 34 of 1,139
Contributor

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but Google has added an AT&T compatible version of the Nexus One to their online site.  You can get what is effectively the same phone as the Desire without AT&T "improving" your user experience by replacing Google with Yahoo and locking down some of the features to AT&T-approved options.

Google is charging $529 for the unlocked version of the phone.

AT&T's Desire will probably be subsidized and cost around $200.

If AT&T can restrain itself, the Desire is a better deal.  You're gonna pay the subsidy whether you use it or not.  The HTC Sense UI gets better reviews than Google's default UI. 

Hey AT&T -- you keep sending me ads in the mail and email to switch phones since I've had this one over 3 years and still have a Cingular contract.  If you don't muck around with the Desire, you've got cash on the way...

Message 35 of 1,139
Mentor

shawn_dude wrote:

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but Google has added an AT&T compatible version of the Nexus One to their online site.  You can get what is effectively the same phone as the Desire without AT&T "improving" your user experience by replacing Google with Yahoo and locking down some of the features to AT&T-approved options.

I did, see page 2. Smiley Wink

Message 36 of 1,139
Contributor

Alas.

I'm such a noob.

Message 37 of 1,139
Mentor

AT&T getting the Desire with Google is the best news I heard all day.

I think it is worth waiting to see if AT&T converts the Desire into Discard like they converted the Backflip into Backflop. LOL, couldnt resist Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 1,139
Tutor

I guess if this phone is wrecked I will have to try T-mobile. The Verizon Incredible looks good but I cant get any kind of data speeds at work; kind of a rip-off being forced to pay for a data plan that is useless. At least T-mobile looks to be getting a few good phones.
Message 39 of 1,139

This is saying T-Mobile is also training their ppl on the HTC Desire

http://www.androidspin.com/2010/03/17/htc-desire-appears-in-2-new-colors/

Message 40 of 1,139
Contributor

Naw... the best news is that if the Desire is "backflipped" you can always get the unlocked Nexus One (AT&T version) which is 99% the same.  The biggest difference that I can see is that the Desire comes with an optical mouse and the Sense UI.  The Nexus One comes with a rollerball mouse and the default UI. 

I've read that someone has ported Sense to the Motorola Droid already.  

Oh, and in related news, SanDisc just announced a 32GB Micro SDHC card ($199est).  This card can go into the Desire/Nexus One.

Message 41 of 1,139
Mentor

If At&t screws around with the UI I am sure someone will find an easy fix .  Most people will have no interest in altering the UI but some of us will want to for many different reasons.

Message 42 of 1,139
Scholar

Just when you think a phone is supreme, boom another one drops.  I know it is for Sprint, but the HTC EVO 4G is a beast!

I am pretty sure my Windows Mobile days are over and when I can upgrade, I will be getting the best HTC Android that AT&T sells.

Message 43 of 1,139
Scholar

Im really hoping for the Desire or something very similar REAL soon, and if its not up to at least that, i will be buying the N1.
Message 44 of 1,139
Teacher

I would have the N1 in my hands already but the Desire has FM radio plus optical trackball. That and the Sense UI. If AT&T doesn't mess with the UI too much I'll get it the day it is released.  That is IF it is released through ATT.
Message 45 of 1,139
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support