Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 19, 2011
8:34:35 PM
HTC Beat is an Android portable media player?

Over the weekend, an image of a new HTC device called the HTC Beat turned up on the internet, and there were speculations about yet another Android phone from the company. I mean, after HTC Rhyme and HTC Bass – HTC Beat fits in with the naming scheme right? Well, because the first screenshot had the phone’s screen turned off, it was assumed that the device was a phone… until today.

A new screenshot of the HTC Beat has turned up, and this time it has the screen on, which hints at some interesting details. The sceenshot shows the HTC Sense screen with some noticeable changes. Firstly instead of the telephone bar at the bottom of the screen, we see a button to launch “Music”. And also, missing from the top of the display is the Android notification bar which is used to tell the phone’s battery life, signal strength and wireless connection.

Because of those details, there is speculation about the HTC to be a portable media player (PMP) instead of a regular smartphone. Well, there’s no way to tell for sure – after all, it could be a modified version of HTC Sense, and we all know that you can easily hide the notification bar with a custom Android launcher, so nothing is confirmed for now. Plus, judging by the device’s design, it looks like it has a speaker placed at the top, where people normally put their ears at when talking on a phone (though it could just as easily be part of the design, or function as something else).

Anyway, if HTC does enter the Android PMP market, it could do well, seeing how there aren’t really many competitors in the market so far (Samsung and Cowon come to mind). What are your thoughts on a HTC PMP? Especially since HTC does have Beats technology, the company is making sure that all it’s new products make use of the acquisition.

Over the weekend, an image of a new HTC device called the HTC Beat turned up on the internet, and there were speculations about yet another Android phone from the company. I mean, after HTC Rhyme and HTC Bass – HTC Beat fits in with the naming scheme right? Well, because the first screenshot had the phone’s screen turned off, it was assumed that the device was a phone… until today.

A new screenshot of the HTC Beat has turned up, and this time it has the screen on, which hints at some interesting details. The sceenshot shows the HTC Sense screen with some noticeable changes. Firstly instead of the telephone bar at the bottom of the screen, we see a button to launch “Music”. And also, missing from the top of the display is the Android notification bar which is used to tell the phone’s battery life, signal strength and wireless connection.

Because of those details, there is speculation about the HTC to be a portable media player (PMP) instead of a regular smartphone. Well, there’s no way to tell for sure – after all, it could be a modified version of HTC Sense, and we all know that you can easily hide the notification bar with a custom Android launcher, so nothing is confirmed for now. Plus, judging by the device’s design, it looks like it has a speaker placed at the top, where people normally put their ears at when talking on a phone (though it could just as easily be part of the design, or function as something else).

Anyway, if HTC does enter the Android PMP market, it could do well, seeing how there aren’t really many competitors in the market so far (Samsung and Cowon come to mind). What are your thoughts on a HTC PMP? Especially since HTC does have Beats technology, the company is making sure that all it’s new products make use of the acquisition.

HTC Beat is an Android portable media player?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 9:00:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Sep 20, 2011 at 9:02:26 AM

Why not just link the article, instead of copying and pasting the text?  In fact, the way you have it posted, makes it seems like you are claiming the text as your own (which I assume is not the case).

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/09/htc-beat-android-portable-media-player/

I can totally see a viable market for such a device.  Apple still sells plenty of iPods and iPod Touches, even if the number is decreasing as more people move to smartphones.  Not everyone wants an expensive cell carrier data plan, or needs that service all the time.  And the increasing presence of public WiFi means many can easily go without a cell data plan in many situations.  There is also a good market for buying a device like this for young kids, so they can watch video, play games, and read eBooks, but whose parents don't need or want them to have a cell phone.  Android and HTC is already making a good play for iPhone market share, its time they did the same for media players, as not everybody likes the closed and controlled ecosystem that Apple insists on.

The screenshot shows GMail, so I don't see a need to hide the notification bar at all, in addition to the fact that the battery meter icon is also located there, which is useful.  Plus, there are ways to send SMS over WiFi, so another reason why you would want to keep the notification bar.

The HTC Flyer and Jetstream are basically portable media players, just in a tablet form (particularly the US WiFi-only version of the Flyer).  They are Android devices, without phone features.   If the rumor is true, the Beat would be very similar, just in a smaller form factor.

Why not just link the article, instead of copying and pasting the text?  In fact, the way you have it posted, makes it seems like you are claiming the text as your own (which I assume is not the case).

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/09/htc-beat-android-portable-media-player/

I can totally see a viable market for such a device.  Apple still sells plenty of iPods and iPod Touches, even if the number is decreasing as more people move to smartphones.  Not everyone wants an expensive cell carrier data plan, or needs that service all the time.  And the increasing presence of public WiFi means many can easily go without a cell data plan in many situations.  There is also a good market for buying a device like this for young kids, so they can watch video, play games, and read eBooks, but whose parents don't need or want them to have a cell phone.  Android and HTC is already making a good play for iPhone market share, its time they did the same for media players, as not everybody likes the closed and controlled ecosystem that Apple insists on.

The screenshot shows GMail, so I don't see a need to hide the notification bar at all, in addition to the fact that the battery meter icon is also located there, which is useful.  Plus, there are ways to send SMS over WiFi, so another reason why you would want to keep the notification bar.

The HTC Flyer and Jetstream are basically portable media players, just in a tablet form (particularly the US WiFi-only version of the Flyer).  They are Android devices, without phone features.   If the rumor is true, the Beat would be very similar, just in a smaller form factor.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HTC Beat is an Android portable media player?

[ Edited ]
2 of 5 (900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 4:30:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Oh, man, this would be awesome! Apple iPod Touches have been a hit around here and all over the rest of the country, I'm sure. In fact, I would infer that a quarter of Apple's profits come from the sales of their unique music player, the iPod Touch.

Anyway, enough about Apple. HTC is thinking outside the box, and an Android music player would be ideal for me! I personally own an iPT4G and enjoy it for the most part, but I certainly HATE paying for my music at the iTunes store. I know there are alternatives to get free or discounted music, but I don't particularly like using iTunes, either... Instead, I use my Android phone as my "iPod" now because, well, it's just simply that the music I can install on my phone is free from an Android app use called MP3 Music Download. This would be neat to have an Android music player which you can install free music on - cool!

I'll be anxious to see when this releases. I wonder what the pricing structure will be? HTC and its retailers would most likely price it competitively to Apple's iPod Touch to make some good competition. I wonder if it will be sold in stores, too...?

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Oh, man, this would be awesome! Apple iPod Touches have been a hit around here and all over the rest of the country, I'm sure. In fact, I would infer that a quarter of Apple's profits come from the sales of their unique music player, the iPod Touch.

Anyway, enough about Apple. HTC is thinking outside the box, and an Android music player would be ideal for me! I personally own an iPT4G and enjoy it for the most part, but I certainly HATE paying for my music at the iTunes store. I know there are alternatives to get free or discounted music, but I don't particularly like using iTunes, either... Instead, I use my Android phone as my "iPod" now because, well, it's just simply that the music I can install on my phone is free from an Android app use called MP3 Music Download. This would be neat to have an Android music player which you can install free music on - cool!

I'll be anxious to see when this releases. I wonder what the pricing structure will be? HTC and its retailers would most likely price it competitively to Apple's iPod Touch to make some good competition. I wonder if it will be sold in stores, too...?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 5 (885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 5:05:13 PM
(0)
Master
I believe Sony has introduced an Android mp3 player from their Walkman line. I can't recall which website I read the article on. Perhaps Engadget.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
I believe Sony has introduced an Android mp3 player from their Walkman line. I can't recall which website I read the article on. Perhaps Engadget.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

4 of 5 (881 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 7:00:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Sep 21, 2011 at 7:01:12 AM

Ann154 wrote:

That's true, I read a similar story on that recently, about how Sony is trying to revitalize their "Walkman" brand with an Android-OS device.  There are various articles out there, but here is one of them:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/sony-announces-walkman-z-pmp-4-3-inches-tegra-2-gingerbread-a/

Ann154 wrote:

That's true, I read a similar story on that recently, about how Sony is trying to revitalize their "Walkman" brand with an Android-OS device.  There are various articles out there, but here is one of them:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/13/sony-announces-walkman-z-pmp-4-3-inches-tegra-2-gingerbread-a/

[ Edited ]
5 of 5 (871 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments