HTC Aria battery

Mentor

HTC Aria battery

Anybody tried getting an upgraded batery for their Aria?  For that matter it could be any HTC device I suppose.  Mine came with a 1200 mAh battery.  I've seen some 1500 ones on-line.  Just curious if anybody has tried to upgrade and if they experienced better battery performance.

Message 1 of 9 (663 Views)
Master

Re: HTC Aria battery

When I had the Aria, I was getting acceptable battery life out of the default battery.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 9 (659 Views)
Mentor

Ha!  Regardless of what you were getting, finding a battery the gets you a longer battery life is always better.  Right?

Message 3 of 9 (631 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Not when it is a China lie. 99.9% of the time when you see a battery with more power but is the same body size, there is no extra power given. (excluding aa, aaa and so on).

Also if is very true that Ann could have better power then you. If she is a heavy "screen" user, but more toward texting, mail and so on, but you like to play games and watch vids, she will get more use then yourself. There is so much more to power drain when comparing 2 users, its just impossible to say why one person dose better with battery life then the other.

In any case if you think a new "off market" eBay (non oem) battery will do you good then give it a try. But just make sure you have a glass of water on stand by, to put the phone into to put out the fire. It's your call, not ours.

Message 4 of 9 (623 Views)
Mentor

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone in this thread.  Smiley Very Happy  My original post asked if anybody has tried a higher rated, after market battery.  And if you have, did you get better battery performance.  The first response I received was that the user got acceptable battery life with their stock battery.  I responded to that post by saying, even if you were content with your stock battery, wouldn't finding longer battery life be better?

Then you, Steve, responded by saying that it is possible for Ann to get better battery life than me because of phone usage and settings.  I realize that.  That wasn't my question.  Then you mention "if you think an off market battery will do you good, It's your call, not ours".  Again, that's not what I said at all.  I "ASKED" if anybody has tried a higher rated battery, and if so, did they get better battery performance?

Message 5 of 9 (609 Views)
Master

No, I haven't tried an extended battery at least not one for the Aria. I have an extended battery for another phone and I have only used it for a long weekend. I missed my case on the phone too much.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 9 (604 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

What MrSteve was hinting at, is that many of the so-called "extended" third party batteries are fakes and counterfeits (especially on eBay).  Many of them are just standard OEM batteries doctored with new markings to indicate higher mAh ratings. 

Even the ones that are not fakes, and from more "reputable" (amongst other phone users) third party vendors like Mugen or Seidio, often don't deliver on the advertised mAh ratings.  A guy on XDA did a bunch of testing on various phones and different OEM and 3rd party batteries.   The overwhelming result was that the 3rd party batteries pretty much always test out much lower than the "advertised" rating.  In some cases the "extended" batteries even testing lower than the standard OEM.  For instance the Seidio 1600 mAh battery  testing at around 1300 mAh, less than the standard OEM 1400 mAh battery!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=583927

In some cases, you might be able to get an extended battery that is MUCH higher rated than the standard.  For instance, if you get a 2400 mAh battery for the Aria, even if it doesn't come close to the rating, it will still probably be better in actual performance than the stock 1300 mAh battery.  So you might find it worth the extra money or extra "bump" on the phone to get some extra battery life (as many extended batteries don't fit in the standard casing, and need a special battery cover).  But whether its worth it or not is your call.

Also as MrSteve hints, if its not a bigger battery than stock, than its unlikely it will deliver more power than the standard battery.   I would be very doubtful that a battery of the same size if going to have a higher mAh rating in actuality.  You just aren't going to squeeze much more power out of a batter that is the same size.   And based on the test results I linked, even thought the manufacturer claims a certain rating, he is probably lying.  You will just  be paying money for a battery with the same peformance (or even worse) than stock.

Message 7 of 9 (597 Views)
Mentor

Thanks for the feedback Redpoint.  I understand that the batteries could be "fakes".  That's essentially why I asked the question.  To see if anybody has tried one and if so, did they get better battery life.  So far it appears that nobody on this forum has tried one.

Message 8 of 9 (584 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

[ Edited ]

You can browse around on XDA (particularly the Aria Accessories subforum), if you really need some direct experience with aftermarket batteries.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=682

But browsing through, you aren't going to find many good experiences.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=836980

One guy says his (alleged "extended") 3rd party battery gave same battery life as OEM, maybe even just a re-labelled OEM.  Another guy tried three aftermarket "extended" batteries in his G1, and they all died within a couple weeks.  Which is the other problem with knockoff batteries.   They are not reliable, and can even be unsafe. 

Remember that Li ion batteries have safety circuits in the batteries themselves.   If they don't work properly (like in a fake or cheap battery), the battery can overheat, explode or damage your phone.  Another feature of the safety circuit, is that it also prevents over-discharge of the battery.  Li ion batteries can no longer be charged by normal means if discharged too low, so the safety circuit is designed to prevent this.  So that is one possible reason why cheap/fake batteries (with cheap safety circuits) fail so fast.

Message 9 of 9 (570 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.