HTC Aria (Android) Coming to AT&T!?! Great News!

Professor

HTC Aria (Android) Coming to AT&T!?! Great News!

Just read on PhoneDog.com that ATT has an HTC android coming our way!   THIS I LIKE!!!

http://www.phonedog.com/2010/05/24/android-2-1-powered-htc-aria-coming-to-at-t/

Message 1 of 33
Professor

Re: HTC Aria (Android) Coming to AT&T!?! Great News!

I hear you too, its really disheartening when you log on to cellphone review sites and all you see are Verizon, Sprint, even TMobile and "THE CRICKET" releasing phones one after another, some of which are really nice spart phones.  

ATT seem to be marketing the "Myspace,FB" messaging crowd and leaving out the 'business users' with the VERY FEW releases theyve spit out.

Oh well.

Message 16 of 33
Scholar

ATT will cripple it just like the backflip, they say we have android, ATT  WILL NOT go against jobs, the Iphone is the only thing keeping this company afloat, in the past month, ten people and numerous businesses in my area have dropped ATT for another company, simply for the sevice and the bs.

Message 17 of 33
Scholar

RicoLX wrote:

I hear you too, its really disheartening when you log on to cellphone review sites and all you see are Verizon, Sprint, even TMobile and "THE CRICKET" releasing phones one after another, some of which are really nice spart phones.  

ATT seem to be marketing the "Myspace,FB" messaging crowd and leaving out the 'business users' with the VERY FEW releases theyve spit out.

Actually, if you are to believe their numbers (disclosed by top executives at shareholder meetings), AT&T's business strategy supposedly revolves largely around the iPhone these days... There was something on Engadget about this, I think they claimed business account iPhone sales were catching up to Blackberries, FWIW. Personally I don't think the iPhone will ever maintain a stranglehold on the business market (even if it's moved in on it faster than Android), but that's their party line right now.

I just found out I can get an extra 15% discount on Sprint thru StudentRate btw, so I'm now quite sure I'll be switching, heh.

Message 18 of 33
Professor

kinda sad ATT will put 'all their eggs in one basket'... (what does that expression mean anyway..?)

Yep I hope they've got some really good phones coming down the pike that will allow them to not depend on iphone sales so much. but it's just me thinking out loud (typing out loud)

Message 19 of 33
Professor

RicoLX wrote:

kinda sad ATT will put 'all their eggs in one basket'... (what does that expression mean anyway..?)

No eggs. Just an Apple in the basket.

Message 20 of 33
Professor

Sitthsideways. that's a good one, lol
Message 21 of 33
Scholar

Well if this is the phone then I can now understand why they would announce it at the sametime as WWDC is going on.

http://www.androidguys.com/2010/05/31/exclusive-htc-aria/

It might have a good processor but it is another kiddy android device.

Message 22 of 33
Explorer

"The smallest Andoid phone that they have seen".

That's just great. More crap coming to AT&T. Honestly, the Nexus One keeps looking more and more apealing to me. I was just hoping for either a). a slightly cheaper equivelent (I.E. $479 unsubsidized) or b). a bigger screen and/or better camera and HTC Sense.

Message 23 of 33
Professor

We need some real phones out here. i am going over to amazon to see what they got.

Message 24 of 33
Scholar

You'd think AT&T learned a lesson about small smartphone with touchscreens from the Pure... If it has a small a touchscreen as it has been described... browsing and navigating will not be very practical. It might easily fit in your pocket and be cute... but it'll most likely share a similar fate as the Pure. 

Message 25 of 33
Scholar

I just can't see bringing out a touch screen phone with a screen less then 3 inches and upgrading the HTC Fuze with Android makes even less sense.

Even though it is not a phone I would want, I have to think the HTC Aria will at a minimum have similar specs to the HTC Wildfire.

Message 26 of 33
Professor

Id stil get this phone if it does come out on AT&T.  Especially if the android OS is similar to Windows 6.5 and back( where its still customizable) and not locked down to where you cant do anything with it.

Message 27 of 33
Voyager

A friend of mine got the EVO last night from Sprint. Man that thing looks incredible but in my mind it's just too big. No way I could put that thing on my hip and walk around town with it. I mean it's a great phone and huge screen but not very practical to tote around. Chicks would love it cause it would fit great in a purse.

Message 28 of 33
Professor

.yeah i am an HTC fan myself.   but id rather have a phone with a full keyboard too which is why i was crazy about the first Tilt8925 and have come to like the Tilt2 because of the screen size plus the full keyboard.

I cant come around to a phone with no keyboard, just like to have a 'option' between how i want to type a text, email, and otherwise.   

I doubt i will switch over to another carrier just for a phone however.

Message 29 of 33
Highlighted
Scholar

You should try Swype before you think you really need a hardware keyboard... I had heard a ton of good things about it before I joined the beta yesterday (which just re-opened), so my expectations were already high, and it still completely blew my mind by how fast and accurate it is.

It's made me incredibly glad to have gone w/a large touchscreen phone (EVO)... I'm able to type faster w/Swype with one hand than I can on a Samsung Impression w/two hands (the Impression's a feature phone but it has one of the nicer keybaords around)... The truly impressive thing is how accurate I am with it, usually people who get accustomed to soft keyboards can get pretty fast with them but they still make a lot of mistakes.

Not so w/Swype, it's word guessing and extra aids make it seem like I'm typing on my netbook when I complete my messages. It even adds proper punctuation and accents to the vast majority of words when I switch to Spanish. There's probably YouTube videos of it in action, you have to check it out.

Unfortunately one of the downsides of Android phones on AT&T right now (other than the N1) is the fact that they're locking the ROM down so that you can't install 3rd party apps. It was super easy to circumvent that w/the Backflip tho, I hope for their sake (and customer's sake) it remains just as easy to do so w/the Aria and Galaxy S / Captviate.

The Captivate will probably come w/Swype built in btw, since Samsung and Swype have some kinda deal in place to bundle said app.

There's a lot of things that aren't on the app market that are well worth trying (such as Swype for now, 'till it leaves beta). As far as Android in general, I'm loving it, already running a custo ROM that builds in WiFi tethering and a few other niceties while allowing me to strip Sprint's apps.

Message 30 of 33
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support