HSUPA coverage current status

Contributor

HSUPA coverage current status

I am interested in picking up a AirCard 881 in the near future. I would like to know if the promised HSUPA rollout is widespread or still in the works. I live in South East PA and if someone here has actually seen the 500-800 Kbps rates on their card.

Thanks
Message 1 of 12 (6,168 Views)
Scholar

Re: HSUPA coverage current status

This link is about as good a method as they offer for showing where the 3G is active and where it's not; you can drill down to a specific street address. I bought a USBConnect 881 a week ago; I live a couple of blocks outside the 3G map but still get one bar of 3G coverage...so it does connect at the faster rate.
Message 2 of 12 (6,159 Views)
Master

I'm getting about 1.2 to 1.5 these days on my card in many cities.
Message 3 of 12 (6,152 Views)

The new updated coverage map is a lot better than the old one. The new one has different views for phone and data.
Message 4 of 12 (6,085 Views)
Scholar

DWC1 wrote:
I'm getting about 1.2 to 1.5 these days on my card in many cities.

While this is nice but not quite as fast as I have gotten for the last year and a half, it still has nothing to do with HSUPA which of course is upload speed with nothing older than an 881.
Message 5 of 12 (6,076 Views)
Scholar

rsnadel wrote:
This link is about as good a method as they offer for showing where the 3G is active and where it's not; you can drill down to a specific street address. I bought a USBConnect 881 a week ago; I live a couple of blocks outside the 3G map but still get one bar of 3G coverage...so it does connect at the faster rate.

But they asked about HSUPA, not plain old HSDPA 3G as we have had for two years, well, some of us. The map does not differentiate one bit. Basically, if you don't have an 881 to see if you can upload well over 384kbs, you have no way to know if HSUPA is working in your city much less anyone else's.
Message 6 of 12 (6,077 Views)
Contributor

Thanks all for your opinions on the matter. IT still doesnt answer my question though. Does anyone know if there is any HSUPA service anywhere in continental US or is ATT still working on it?
In that case, I am surprised the Aircard is on the market while the service it needs isnt.
Message 7 of 12 (5,909 Views)
Scholar

PotentialCustomer2007 wrote:
Thanks all for your opinions on the matter. IT still doesnt answer my question though. Does anyone know if there is any HSUPA service anywhere in continental US or is ATT still working on it?
In that case, I am surprised the Aircard is on the market while the service it needs isnt.

Yes, it has been reported in other threads but still sub 1mbs. Do you actually need more than 384kbs (Max for HSDPA only)in the upload direction? HSUPA has nothing whatsoever to do with increasing download speeds beyond what HSDPA already has which is still 1.8mbs max which we have had for two years. You will only notice if you do heavy uploading.
Message 8 of 12 (5,858 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]
I'm in Miami my signal bar shows I'm getting 3G/HSDPA excellent signal strenght and getting speeds of 2 mbs, average 1.5 mbs Down. Up speed are around 344 steady.

Option GlobalTrotter express 7.2

Message Edited by gavinfla on 12-26-2007 05:59:20 AM

Message Edited by gavinfla on 12-26-2007 06:00:51 AM
Message 9 of 12 (5,789 Views)
Scholar

gavinfla wrote:
I'm in Miami my signal bar shows I'm getting 3G/HSDPA excellent signal strenght and getting speeds of 2 mbs, average 1.5 mbs Down. Up speed are around 344 steady.

Option GlobalTrotter express 7.2

Message Edited by gavinfla on 12-26-2007 05:59:20 AM

Message Edited by gavinfla on 12-26-2007 06:00:51 AM

Still, this is HSDPA in the download direction only, He asked about HSUPA specifically. I'm starting to wonder if anyone knows the difference. HSUPA = High Speed Upload Packet Acess. You could get as high as 7.2mbs in the download direction and still not be HSUPA, faster HSDPA speeds are download only and in no way indicate HSUPA availability. The only way you would know if you had HSUPA is to have an MSM7200 chipped device which would preclude anything that came out before last summer IE, 881 Sierra, Novatel 951 and some Option cards which I have not seen on sale yet and if you DO have a new device and your uploads are considerably faster than 384kbs THEN maybe you have HSUPA. If you are using one of the many MSM6280 or even MSM6275 devices and reporting your speed, you are wasting your time as those devices (AC875 and older, XU870 and older etc) can not do HSUPA and will in no way benefit from HSUPA being present on the network.

The guys asked about status on HSUPA and all he got was a field report on how HSDPA is doing for some here and a link to a 3G map that tells you absolutely nothing other than HSDPA is deployed and where. I'm sure he gave up and moved on by now.
Message 10 of 12 (5,766 Views)
Teacher

OOPS.... dave, my misstake, I should read more carefully.
Message 11 of 12 (1,982 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Here in Cincinnati, OH - Once known for its spotty AT&T reception, I am getting over 600K upload results from speed tests like Broadband Reports. I've noticed in the past 6 months an increasingly reliable AT&T signal strength all over town. Thanks for listening to us about our issues AT&T!

I'll be traveling to the east coast in the next few weeks to see if I can get readings from other cities. I'll keep everyone posted.
Message 12 of 12 (1,916 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.