Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 9, 2012
7:52:25 AM
HSPA+ appears to be a joke.

So, the iOS 5.1 update confirms my thoughts. My iPhone 4S shows "4G" where I live, but the service has been degraded for over a year now. I complained over a year ago, and I was told the tower was being upgraded to HSPA+ and expect it to be back to normal by March... of LAST YEAR! 

Here it is, a year later, and NOTHING has changed, except my iPhone shows "4G". I'm still lucky to break 2Mpbs running speedtest.net's iPhone app. I USED to get 4-5Mpbs and at least a constant 4 bars on my iPhone 4 (in 2010), not my 4S, 4! Now, I'm lucky to keep 3 bars, and it frequently drops to 1 or 2. My bf's 3GS yields the same results, for reference...

I'm in Bellwood, PA. I'm barely 1/2 mile from the tower (I can see it if I stand on my roof). This is pathetic!

My cell phone bill is almost $300 per month! I expect more for that money! 

PS... I am NOT being throttled due to usage. I CHOSE to drop my unlimited plan in favor of a tiered plan, which I NEVER use much data with. On top of that, I'm paying for tethering and 4GBs of data that basically goes to waste. That's another topic I'll save for a later rant.

I normally defend AT&T, but this is starting to make me question why I do. 

So, the iOS 5.1 update confirms my thoughts. My iPhone 4S shows "4G" where I live, but the service has been degraded for over a year now. I complained over a year ago, and I was told the tower was being upgraded to HSPA+ and expect it to be back to normal by March... of LAST YEAR! 

Here it is, a year later, and NOTHING has changed, except my iPhone shows "4G". I'm still lucky to break 2Mpbs running speedtest.net's iPhone app. I USED to get 4-5Mpbs and at least a constant 4 bars on my iPhone 4 (in 2010), not my 4S, 4! Now, I'm lucky to keep 3 bars, and it frequently drops to 1 or 2. My bf's 3GS yields the same results, for reference...

I'm in Bellwood, PA. I'm barely 1/2 mile from the tower (I can see it if I stand on my roof). This is pathetic!

PS... I am NOT being throttled due to usage. I CHOSE to drop my unlimited plan in favor of a tiered plan, which I NEVER use much data with. On top of that, I'm paying for tethering and 4GBs of data that basically goes to waste. That's another topic I'll save for a later rant.

HSPA+ appears to be a joke.

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 10:12:05 AM
(0)
Scholar

RedGeminiPA wrote:

Have you tried complaining again?

RedGeminiPA wrote:

Have you tried complaining again?

Re: HSPA+ appears to be a joke.

2 of 9 (1,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 10:36:10 AM
(0)
Employee
HSPA+ doesn't improve signal just more bandwidth for data. But if its been going on for a year that's the level of service to expect.
HSPA+ doesn't improve signal just more bandwidth for data. But if its been going on for a year that's the level of service to expect.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 9 (1,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 9, 2012 11:00:07 AM
(0)
Master

If you are breaking 2Mpbs in your speed tests consider yourself luck.  It's hard to reach those speeds in many large cities as the network is so saturated with users that it just can't keep up.

If you are breaking 2Mpbs in your speed tests consider yourself luck.  It's hard to reach those speeds in many large cities as the network is so saturated with users that it just can't keep up.

4 of 9 (1,840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 7:54:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

That's the problem... look up Bellwood, PA on a map. It's hardly a LARGE CITY, with population at probably 1,000 - give or take. Even 1,000 is probably exaggerated. 

That's the problem... look up Bellwood, PA on a map. It's hardly a LARGE CITY, with population at probably 1,000 - give or take. Even 1,000 is probably exaggerated. 

5 of 9 (1,774 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 8:00:09 AM
(0)
Tutor

So, what you're saying is, the "upgrade" is a joke, as my post describes. I go from fantastic service to this JOKE, and it's considered an upgrade? I'm supposed to be "ok" with service that's now almost on par with Verizon's in my area? Are you serious?

I never minded paying higher monthly bills with the benefit of AT&T's faster speeds. Now I'm thinking we'll be skipping upgrades for the next iPhone this year, paying some ETFs, jailbreaking our FIVE IPHONES and going with Straight Talk for MUCH less money. If I'm stuck with slower service, I may as well do it while saving a bunch of cash each month. 

So, what you're saying is, the "upgrade" is a joke, as my post describes. I go from fantastic service to this JOKE, and it's considered an upgrade? I'm supposed to be "ok" with service that's now almost on par with Verizon's in my area? Are you serious?

I never minded paying higher monthly bills with the benefit of AT&T's faster speeds. Now I'm thinking we'll be skipping upgrades for the next iPhone this year, paying some ETFs, jailbreaking our FIVE IPHONES and going with Straight Talk for MUCH less money. If I'm stuck with slower service, I may as well do it while saving a bunch of cash each month. 

6 of 9 (1,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2012 8:03:08 AM
(0)
Tutor

Oh, why was this topic moved to the iPhone section "for better exposure" when it's related to AT&T'S NETWORK, not my iPhones! 

Oh, why was this topic moved to the iPhone section "for better exposure" when it's related to AT&T'S NETWORK, not my iPhones! 

7 of 9 (1,769 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2012 3:11:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

thanks

thanks

8 of 9 (1,596 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2012 12:54:12 PM
(0)
Contributor
The "back hauling" updates may not be complete. Also, I've used the Mark the Spot app to routinely mark spots in my coverage area where the signal strength and/or speed is lacking--including my home. I believe this data makes to the techies who posess the influence needed to make a difference for you. With this app, be the squeaky wheel...like weekly reporting maybe.
The "back hauling" updates may not be complete. Also, I've used the Mark the Spot app to routinely mark spots in my coverage area where the signal strength and/or speed is lacking--including my home. I believe this data makes to the techies who posess the influence needed to make a difference for you. With this app, be the squeaky wheel...like weekly reporting maybe.

9 of 9 (1,521 Views)