Wireless Forums

Posted Aug 10, 2008
12:00:21 PM
View profile
HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN RINGTONES FOR LG VU 920
I just bought the memory sd card and a usb cable and uploaded some music onto my phone but I dont know how to make my own ringtones. Please help! thanks!
I just bought the memory sd card and a usb cable and uploaded some music onto my phone but I dont know how to make my own ringtones. Please help! thanks!

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN RINGTONES FOR LG VU 920

23 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(23)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2008 12:16:54 PM
(0)
Mentor
You need software or specialized websites to make your own ringtone.

Free software you can use is Audacity.  Google it.

An example of a website that allows you to make ringtones is: http://makeownringtone.com

LG max limit is 30 sec and 300kb.  A good way to fall under the limit is make it 25 seconds at 96kbps rate.  If you want to make it 30 seconds, you'll have to use a lower bitrate, such as 80kbps.
You need software or specialized websites to make your own ringtone.

Free software you can use is Audacity.  Google it.

An example of a website that allows you to make ringtones is: http://makeownringtone.com

LG max limit is 30 sec and 300kb.  A good way to fall under the limit is make it 25 seconds at 96kbps rate.  If you want to make it 30 seconds, you'll have to use a lower bitrate, such as 80kbps.

Re: HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN RINGTONES FOR LG VU 920

2 of 24 (26,287 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2008 1:28:52 PM
(0)
After I use audacity to make my ringtone, what is the process I need to go through in order to make that clip my ringtone? Thanks
After I use audacity to make my ringtone, what is the process I need to go through in order to make that clip my ringtone? Thanks

3 of 24 (26,268 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2008 1:41:45 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by bluejonas on Aug 10, 2008 at 1:44:26 PM
If you have a SD card, drag the mp3 onto the card, and insert card into phone.  Or while your card is in your phone, connect to USB then drag mp3 to card that way.

Message Edited by bluejonas on 08-10-2008 01:44:26 PM
If you have a SD card, drag the mp3 onto the card, and insert card into phone.  Or while your card is in your phone, connect to USB then drag mp3 to card that way.

Message Edited by bluejonas on 08-10-2008 01:44:26 PM

[ Edited ]
4 of 24 (26,264 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2008 2:35:48 PM
(0)
Im still having problems, sorry lol When I connect my phone to the usb cable it doesnt show anywhere to drag to the sd card. It gives me the options to open device to view files, sync files to this device using windows media player, or no action at all. Then when I click the first option, open device to view files, it only shows the external drive, then when i open that, thats where I uploaded my other music and tried to upload the ringtone I made but looked on my phone and couldnt find it anywhere. So what am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to make that my ringtone. Thanks again for the help
Im still having problems, sorry lol When I connect my phone to the usb cable it doesnt show anywhere to drag to the sd card. It gives me the options to open device to view files, sync files to this device using windows media player, or no action at all. Then when I click the first option, open device to view files, it only shows the external drive, then when i open that, thats where I uploaded my other music and tried to upload the ringtone I made but looked on my phone and couldnt find it anywhere. So what am I doing wrong and what do I need to do to make that my ringtone. Thanks again for the help

5 of 24 (26,253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2008 2:58:40 PM
(0)
Mentor
This part, I can't help you, at least I don't want to try to assume the answers.

I ordered a OEM USB cable for the Vu for 5 bucks, still hasn't arrived (if you live in the U.S., ATT does not provide the USB cable with the phone, and since it is  proprietary, I have to order the LG specific USB cable).

What I've been doing is simply taking the card out of the phone, connecting it directly to my PC (it has multiple card readers) and dragging all the mp3s/pictures directly onto the card, then putting the card back into the phone.

Although it seem like doing it via USB would be easy, I've seen so much simplicity errors on these LG phones that I won't assume anything, so you either have to experiment yourself to you get it, google it, or wait here for an answer from someone who routinely does this on their Vu with a USB cable.

Or you can wait until monday when my USB cable arrives and I'll hopefully have an answer for you... lol.
This part, I can't help you, at least I don't want to try to assume the answers.

I ordered a OEM USB cable for the Vu for 5 bucks, still hasn't arrived (if you live in the U.S., ATT does not provide the USB cable with the phone, and since it is  proprietary, I have to order the LG specific USB cable).

What I've been doing is simply taking the card out of the phone, connecting it directly to my PC (it has multiple card readers) and dragging all the mp3s/pictures directly onto the card, then putting the card back into the phone.

Although it seem like doing it via USB would be easy, I've seen so much simplicity errors on these LG phones that I won't assume anything, so you either have to experiment yourself to you get it, google it, or wait here for an answer from someone who routinely does this on their Vu with a USB cable.

Or you can wait until monday when my USB cable arrives and I'll hopefully have an answer for you... lol.

6 of 24 (26,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 10, 2008 3:11:32 PM
(0)
haha alright well i will experiment with the card in/out method and ill see what i can do, then if i cant get that to work, post your solution using your cable as soon as you try it out please, thanks so much for all of your help again.
haha alright well i will experiment with the card in/out method and ill see what i can do, then if i cant get that to work, post your solution using your cable as soon as you try it out please, thanks so much for all of your help again.

7 of 24 (26,244 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2008 2:37:10 AM
(0)
I just noticed that the ringtone i made is in aup form, how do i make that into an mp3 form, cuz its not able to be made into a ringtone in that form.
I just noticed that the ringtone i made is in aup form, how do i make that into an mp3 form, cuz its not able to be made into a ringtone in that form.

8 of 24 (26,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2008 9:34:33 AM
(0)
Tutor
Assuming that you are using Audacity   :      File > Export Selection As MP3  
Assuming that you are using Audacity   :      File > Export Selection As MP3  

9 of 24 (26,146 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2008 10:30:06 AM
(0)
then once i do that, the song name/artist name/genre ect. thing comes up then asks me to locat the lame. "Audacity needs the file lame_enc.dll to create mp3s." I dont know what to do with that because I have no clue what that means or what I am looking for. HELP!
then once i do that, the song name/artist name/genre ect. thing comes up then asks me to locat the lame. "Audacity needs the file lame_enc.dll to create mp3s." I dont know what to do with that because I have no clue what that means or what I am looking for. HELP!

10 of 24 (26,135 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2008 12:36:33 PM
(0)
Tutor
Ahhh, I see...... I had found that file in my winamp folder. I searched using my Windows search feature for "Lame" and I found it in there.. *lol* sorry about that...
Ahhh, I see...... I had found that file in my winamp folder. I searched using my Windows search feature for "Lame" and I found it in there.. *lol* sorry about that...

11 of 24 (10,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2008 1:30:02 PM
(0)
Contributor
You just need some application to chop a mp3 file into 10-20 sec range or lower quality. I haven't found the size of mp3 that you can use for a ringtone.
I usaully just use Windows Movie Maker to edit/crop the file, export it, convert it into mp3 (Windows Movie Maker only export into wmv), and then move it to my phone via bluetooth.
You just need some application to chop a mp3 file into 10-20 sec range or lower quality. I haven't found the size of mp3 that you can use for a ringtone.
I usaully just use Windows Movie Maker to edit/crop the file, export it, convert it into mp3 (Windows Movie Maker only export into wmv), and then move it to my phone via bluetooth.

12 of 24 (10,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2008 3:11:55 PM
(0)
Edited by scoobydoo on Aug 11, 2008 at 7:40:17 PM
what will the file look like? i have no clue what im searching for...god im about to give up on this ringtone {Please don't go around the word filter}

Message Edited by scoobydoo on 08-11-2008 10:40:17 PM
what will the file look like? i have no clue what im searching for...god im about to give up on this ringtone {Please don't go around the word filter}

Message Edited by scoobydoo on 08-11-2008 10:40:17 PM

[ Edited ]
13 of 24 (10,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2008 2:48:32 PM
(0)
Tutor
All I did to make Audacity work was to place the phrase " lame_enc.dll " ( without quotes) into windows search, and see if it's in your system somewhere. Or heck you could even google it and download that single file off the internet. Very easy.
All I did to make Audacity work was to place the phrase " lame_enc.dll " ( without quotes) into windows search, and see if it's in your system somewhere. Or heck you could even google it and download that single file off the internet. Very easy.

14 of 24 (10,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2009 5:44:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
I must be doing something wrong.  I chopped a song using Audacity, exported it as an MP3 using LAME and put it on my phone. I had to use the Sync feature on Windows Media Player.  Here's the kicker, the phone doesn't recognize it as a ringtone.  It sends it to the Music Player in my phone but I can't select it as a ring tone.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong since the file is <300Kb.  Everything I've read says if your file is small enough and you load an MP3 to your phone it will automatically be under your ringtones.  Any suggestions?
I must be doing something wrong.  I chopped a song using Audacity, exported it as an MP3 using LAME and put it on my phone. I had to use the Sync feature on Windows Media Player.  Here's the kicker, the phone doesn't recognize it as a ringtone.  It sends it to the Music Player in my phone but I can't select it as a ring tone.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong since the file is <300Kb.  Everything I've read says if your file is small enough and you load an MP3 to your phone it will automatically be under your ringtones.  Any suggestions?

15 of 24 (8,837 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2009 3:57:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Papa J wrote:

Don't know if this will help you or not, but after my husband made ringtones for my Shine using Audacity, he sent them to me as a MMS message. When I got the message, I would VIEW the message, Options, View Attachment and save to my Audio/Ringtones file from there. THEN I could use that MP3 clip as a ringtone. I do NOT have an option to move ANY of my MP3 clips to the Audio/Ringtones folder from my Music Folder. So it seems that once they are placed in your Music folder, that is where they stay and will only play as music.

Hope this helps a little.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Papa J wrote:

Don't know if this will help you or not, but after my husband made ringtones for my Shine using Audacity, he sent them to me as a MMS message. When I got the message, I would VIEW the message, Options, View Attachment and save to my Audio/Ringtones file from there. THEN I could use that MP3 clip as a ringtone. I do NOT have an option to move ANY of my MP3 clips to the Audio/Ringtones folder from my Music Folder. So it seems that once they are placed in your Music folder, that is where they stay and will only play as music.

Hope this helps a little.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 24 (8,812 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 4:28:59 PM
(0)
Contributor
hey, i cant seem to use a ringtone other than the ones that were already there on my lg neon. ...help?
hey, i cant seem to use a ringtone other than the ones that were already there on my lg neon. ...help?

17 of 24 (5,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2009 6:34:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
What are you trying?? Are you making some of them yourself? If you are, be sure to keep them UNDER 300 kb.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

What are you trying?? Are you making some of them yourself? If you are, be sure to keep them UNDER 300 kb.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

18 of 24 (5,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2009 9:54:16 AM
(0)
Guru
I use www.myxertones.com its easy and Free!! 
I use www.myxertones.com its easy and Free!! 

19 of 24 (5,569 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2009 7:11:11 PM
(0)
Contributor
iunno, cuz when i click set ringtone and i look through my files, it says "3 files in this folder" so i click on it, but its empty. maybe its because the clips are too long, but the default ringtones are twice as long.
iunno, cuz when i click set ringtone and i look through my files, it says "3 files in this folder" so i click on it, but its empty. maybe its because the clips are too long, but the default ringtones are twice as long.

20 of 24 (5,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2009 11:27:48 AM
(0)
Contributor

I wanna make my own ringtones too. But I cant find the drivers for my phone. I bought the cable from At&T that hooks my phone to my computer, but under the Device manager it has a exslamation mark beside it, and On windows Xp it says the device is not working properly.

Hello Everyone I am new to the forum.

My name is Brock

I wanna make my own ringtones too. But I cant find the drivers for my phone. I bought the cable from At&T that hooks my phone to my computer, but under the Device manager it has a exslamation mark beside it, and On windows Xp it says the device is not working properly.

Hello Everyone I am new to the forum.

My name is Brock

21 of 24 (2,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 11, 2010 12:20:19 AM
(0)
Contributor

You need to go under connections and change the option from music sync to mass storage. Problem solved

You need to go under connections and change the option from music sync to mass storage. Problem solved

22 of 24 (1,879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2010 8:28:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Hi Brockisit...you may want to take a look at THIS THREAD that Sandspurious started on making your own ringtones.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Hi Brockisit...you may want to take a look at THIS THREAD that Sandspurious started on making your own ringtones.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

23 of 24 (1,843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 16, 2010 10:30:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

Get PavTube Ringtone Maker full version for FREE!!!
http://www.pavtube.com/promotion/2010-world-cup.html

Pavtube Ringtone Maker is a powerful ringtone maker software that supports convert any videos like AVI, WMV, MPEG, MOV, FLV, MKV, RM, XviD, MP4, H.264/AVC, AVCHD, M2TS, DAT, 3GP, VOB, etc, and audios such as MP3, M4A, MP2, MPA, WMA, AAC, AC3, MKA, OGG, AIFF, RA, RAM, WAV, APE, FLAC, etc into ringtones for playback on iPhone, PSP, Zune, iPod, etc.

How to make FIFA World Cup songs as ringtones

Get PavTube Ringtone Maker full version for FREE!!!
http://www.pavtube.com/promotion/2010-world-cup.html

Pavtube Ringtone Maker is a powerful ringtone maker software that supports convert any videos like AVI, WMV, MPEG, MOV, FLV, MKV, RM, XviD, MP4, H.264/AVC, AVCHD, M2TS, DAT, 3GP, VOB, etc, and audios such as MP3, M4A, MP2, MPA, WMA, AAC, AC3, MKA, OGG, AIFF, RA, RAM, WAV, APE, FLAC, etc into ringtones for playback on iPhone, PSP, Zune, iPod, etc.

How to make FIFA World Cup songs as ringtones

24 of 24 (1,614 Views)