Wireless Forums

Posted Sep 13, 2010
8:35:07 PM
View profile
HELP My Torch just shut off and wont turn on

I have a blackberry torch and it just shut off.  It looks like it is trying to start back up but then shuts down again.  Any ideas??

I have a blackberry torch and it just shut off.  It looks like it is trying to start back up but then shuts down again.  Any ideas??

HELP My Torch just shut off and wont turn on

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2010 3:12:53 AM
(0)
Expert

Basic question - is the battery charged? Might want to try and take it to a brick and mortar outlet and have them try a different battery

Basic question - is the battery charged? Might want to try and take it to a brick and mortar outlet and have them try a different battery

Re: HELP My Torch just shut off and wont turn on

2 of 7 (8,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 7:11:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

Hello. Sorry for the delayed response.

Is it under 30 days?

Do you have a red LED flashing light? Or is there no light?

Do you have the Desktop software installed on your computer?

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Hello. Sorry for the delayed response.

Is it under 30 days?

Do you have a red LED flashing light? Or is there no light?

Do you have the Desktop software installed on your computer?

3 of 7 (7,886 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 6:09:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am having this same issue. Has anyone found a solution to the problem?

I am having this same issue. Has anyone found a solution to the problem?

4 of 7 (7,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 23, 2010 3:07:36 AM
(0)
Guru

The battery and charger are possible culprits.  If the battery is failing or isn't getting charged, of course the phone can't fully power on.

If those have been ruled out, there's still a very good chance the phone can be recovered if it appears to try to turn on, or even if the red charging LED flashes.

If you attach the phone to a computer that has an appropriate version of Blackberry Desktop Software (for the Torch, that would need to be 6.0 for PC, or the only version for Mac), does the desktop software recognize the phone?  It may require a couple of minutes, and in extreme cases you may need to remove the battery and attach the phone. 

If it's recognized, back up the contents by choosing Device -> Back up.  Then, perform a clean application reload by mostly following the instructions here (or here for Mac).  However, even if the instructions seem to show the box checked, do NOT check the box(es) to back up device data or third-party applications.

If the desktop software does not recognize the device, follow the instructions appropriate to your system from this article.  Use the /resettofactory option.

Either of the two methods will remove any user content from the phone.  However, in the first case, using the desktop software, you will have a backup available to restore information from (preferably selectively).  In the second case, the information is already so inaccessible as to be lost.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

The battery and charger are possible culprits.  If the battery is failing or isn't getting charged, of course the phone can't fully power on.

If those have been ruled out, there's still a very good chance the phone can be recovered if it appears to try to turn on, or even if the red charging LED flashes.

If you attach the phone to a computer that has an appropriate version of Blackberry Desktop Software (for the Torch, that would need to be 6.0 for PC, or the only version for Mac), does the desktop software recognize the phone?  It may require a couple of minutes, and in extreme cases you may need to remove the battery and attach the phone. 

If it's recognized, back up the contents by choosing Device -> Back up.  Then, perform a clean application reload by mostly following the instructions here (or here for Mac).  However, even if the instructions seem to show the box checked, do NOT check the box(es) to back up device data or third-party applications.

If the desktop software does not recognize the device, follow the instructions appropriate to your system from this article.  Use the /resettofactory option.

Either of the two methods will remove any user content from the phone.  However, in the first case, using the desktop software, you will have a backup available to restore information from (preferably selectively).  In the second case, the information is already so inaccessible as to be lost.

5 of 7 (7,801 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2010 8:52:18 PM
(0)
Tutor

Its not the charger or desktop software.  I have had 3 torches in a week and a half and all 3 just freeze then turn off and quit working completely.   I’m exchanging another one tomorrow morning.   I think Blackberry has gotten in beyond their technical capabilities with the Torch. 

Its not the charger or desktop software.  I have had 3 torches in a week and a half and all 3 just freeze then turn off and quit working completely.   I’m exchanging another one tomorrow morning.   I think Blackberry has gotten in beyond their technical capabilities with the Torch. 

6 of 7 (7,453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 20, 2010 3:13:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

Update:

First Torch locked up halfway into the software upgrade an hour after I got home.  Had to replace it the next day.  Was told at that time by ATT staff "do NOT perform the upgrade" so second Torch I left as it came.  It locked up and went black at least once a day.  I returned it 4 days later.  Same problem with that one and finally returned it today.  Finally spoke to someone who knew something who did the upgrade direct off the phone and so far there is a noticeable difference how the thing works.  Much smoother and sure looks like its working better.  Hopefully this one lasts.

Update:

First Torch locked up halfway into the software upgrade an hour after I got home.  Had to replace it the next day.  Was told at that time by ATT staff "do NOT perform the upgrade" so second Torch I left as it came.  It locked up and went black at least once a day.  I returned it 4 days later.  Same problem with that one and finally returned it today.  Finally spoke to someone who knew something who did the upgrade direct off the phone and so far there is a noticeable difference how the thing works.  Much smoother and sure looks like its working better.  Hopefully this one lasts.

7 of 7 (7,408 Views)