Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 4, 2012
7:46:23 PM
View profile
Grandfathered plan question
Hi everyone! This is my first post on here so I'm sorry if this is the wrong lace to post this but here we go my mom has the iPhone grandfathered in plan thing. AT&T Is giving her an upgrade this month and for my birthday she is giving me it, but my mom doesn't want to lose her data plan thing. I really want to get the Samsung infuse 4g, but I don't know if I get that, If my mom will Lose her grandfathered plan. So, if she gives ME the upgrade (she doesn't use it) and I get a Samsung phone (not an iPhone) will they take away her grandfathered plan? Thank everyone soo very much who helps. It's very much appreciated!
Hi everyone! This is my first post on here so I'm sorry if this is the wrong lace to post this but here we go my mom has the iPhone grandfathered in plan thing. AT&T Is giving her an upgrade this month and for my birthday she is giving me it, but my mom doesn't want to lose her data plan thing. I really want to get the Samsung infuse 4g, but I don't know if I get that, If my mom will Lose her grandfathered plan. So, if she gives ME the upgrade (she doesn't use it) and I get a Samsung phone (not an iPhone) will they take away her grandfathered plan? Thank everyone soo very much who helps. It's very much appreciated!

Grandfathered plan question

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 9:16:24 PM
(0)
Professor

Your mother won't lose her data plan by giving you her upgrade, but an appropriate data plan will have to be added to your line if you don't already have one and you upgrade to a smartphone.

Your mother won't lose her data plan by giving you her upgrade, but an appropriate data plan will have to be added to your line if you don't already have one and you upgrade to a smartphone.

Re: Grandfathered plan question

2 of 7 (1,231 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 9:21:41 PM
(0)
Explorer
I already do have a phone, but it is not a smartphone. It's a Samsung eternity. So would I have to change my plan? If so, how much would that cost? Thank you by the way!
I already do have a phone, but it is not a smartphone. It's a Samsung eternity. So would I have to change my plan? If so, how much would that cost? Thank you by the way!

3 of 7 (1,226 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2012 11:11:30 PM
(0)
Guru

You would have to subscribe to one of the new tiered data plans - $20 for 300MB (?) or $30 for 3GB. You can't get the smartphone unlimited data plan anymore....your mom can keep hers, but she can't transfer her eligibility to keep that plan to anyone else.

You would have to subscribe to one of the new tiered data plans - $20 for 300MB (?) or $30 for 3GB. You can't get the smartphone unlimited data plan anymore....your mom can keep hers, but she can't transfer her eligibility to keep that plan to anyone else.

4 of 7 (1,216 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 8:11:05 AM
(0)
Explorer
I can't get the unlimited plan, even if we buy an unlimited plan? Why?

5 of 7 (1,204 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 8:37:21 AM
(0)
Expert

Noahwhite wrote:

the unlimited smartphone plan was discontinued a few years ago, it is no longer a option for new smartphones. the grandfathered unlimited plans are tied to the number that it is on, as long as your mother keeps a smartphone on her line she keeps the unlimited plan, any new lines added to the plan with a smartphone are required to pick from the existing tiered plans. Smartphone data plans are per number / device not account.

Noahwhite wrote:

the unlimited smartphone plan was discontinued a few years ago, it is no longer a option for new smartphones. the grandfathered unlimited plans are tied to the number that it is on, as long as your mother keeps a smartphone on her line she keeps the unlimited plan, any new lines added to the plan with a smartphone are required to pick from the existing tiered plans. Smartphone data plans are per number / device not account.

6 of 7 (1,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2012 9:14:27 AM
(0)
Explorer
Thank you very much. This helped a lot. Thank you!
Thank you very much. This helped a lot. Thank you!

7 of 7 (1,195 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments