Ask a question

Posted Nov 8, 2010
    5:17:23 AM
    View profile
    Got the Focus? Any tips or tricks?
    Edited by AllanUSC on Nov 8, 2010 at 5:19:14 AM

It's too early here to pick up the Samsung Focus at a local AT&T store so I'll have to wait at least a few more hours to get one.

If you've bought the Samsung Focus,

- What are your initial impressions?

- Is it as fast as everyone seems to say?

- Did you buy a larger memory card for it?

- Have you found any undocumented tips or tricks?

I can't wait to get one for myself!

Got the Focus? Any tips or tricks?

[ Edited ]
    30 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (30)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 5:53:23 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Standing in line myself. a veryshort line mind you :-) about ten minutes to go.

Re: Got the Focus? Any tips or tricks?

2 of 31 (4,099 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 8:39:20 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Got mine already and LOVING IT!  The screen is gorgeous.

Can't really offer any tips right now, I'm just staring at the screen,Smiley Very Happy

3 of 31 (4,033 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 9:39:25 AM
    (0)
    Professor

Be VERY deliberate about the format process when you put your new microSDHC card in the phone.  Follow the directions on this link.

http://www.wireless.att.com/support/tutorials.do?tutorialsCategory=Getting+Started&tutorialId=877530&deviceId=12630

1. Simultaneously press and hold the Camera key, Volume down key, and Power key.
    2. Once the phone vibrates, release the Power key while still holding down the Camera and Volume down keys.
    3. When the "Format" prompt is displayed on screen, release the Camera and Volume down keys, press the WINDOWS key.
    4. Press the Windows key again to confirm formatting.
    5. Once the format is completed, the Initial setup will be displayed.
    6. Verify the available memory has been updated by tapping Settings > About.

These steps will work.  The quick start is a lettle less specific and stumped me for a bit.  I ended up with 22GB after inserting my 16GB card.

4 of 31 (4,011 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 10:09:57 AM
    (0)
    Professor

Did anybody find a way to get free Zune time with their WP7 purchase through att wireless?

5 of 31 (3,980 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 10:12:33 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

So are you saying to get a "clean" format you have to follow those steps?

I added my card after firing up the phone the first time and it didn't automatically reset the phone and only recognized the onboard 8gb.  I then went into settings, about, and hit "reset your phone".  After the warnings about losing data, it restarted, went through the initial setup wizard, and I now see 22GB.

Was my method not a true reset?

6 of 31 (3,977 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 10:15:28 AM
    (0)
    Master
    Edited by foxbat121 on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:16:48 AM

I think it is the same. Two different hard resetting methods: one pure software initiated and one pure hardware initiated. Same as old WM phones. There is time that the pure hardware initiated method is needed, like when your phone is toally bricked and unresponsive.

[ Edited ]
    7 of 31 (3,968 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 1:22:36 PM
    (0)
    Expert

Paolo01 wrote:

Did anybody find a way to get free Zune time with their WP7 purchase through att wireless?

http://freeentertainmentpack.com/?wtSlotClick=1-004CGC-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction

8 of 31 (3,870 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 2:51:12 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

I got my Focus today morning. I was the first guy, and the only guy, when local AT&T store opened. I like it as you can clearly see the display even in direct sunlight.

Initially, it was not accepting my live id telling me that the username and passwords not matching. After 3 trials, I noticed something. I was typing '...@hotmail..com'. The two dots were coming as the 'com' in the SIP has got the preceeding dot. So though it is small one, can be irritating if not noticed.

It is bad that the phone is having SD card issue. Anyway I am not removing the SD card now itself and will not be loading much till the MS delivers the fix.

9 of 31 (3,824 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 3:17:42 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Anyone figure out how to get ringtones for the Focus?  I can't find a way to do it directly from the Focus, and when I go to the AT&T ringtone download site and select a ringtone to purchase, it asks me to select the phone and the Focus is not listed among the Samsung choices (either as "Focus" or "SGH-i917").

10 of 31 (3,806 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 3:29:28 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by Strider_Aus on Nov 8, 2010 at 3:29:56 PM

WP7 does not yet support custom ringtones.  Only OS factory supplied ones will work presently.

On the WP7 feedback site (where you can vote for OS upgrades/features - it is listed there if you want to tell MS you want it, sign up and vote there).

[ Edited ]
    11 of 31 (2,206 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 3:32:22 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by gmfeld on Nov 8, 2010 at 3:32:50 PM

I had read WP7 didn't support custom ringtones, but I thought that meant the ringtones I made myself for my Fuze.  I didn't realize it meant that AT&T's own ringtones which they like to sell to us won't work either.  BTW, where is that WP7 feedback site that I can cast my vote?

[ Edited ]
    12 of 31 (2,203 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 4:37:31 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by Strider_Aus on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:38:08 PM

[ Edited ]
    13 of 31 (2,164 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 6:54:29 PM
    (0)
    Professor

One more thing.  The CSR told me today to not leave the Samsung plugged in for more than a few hours.  He said overnight charging was to be avoided because of the battery.  Interesting.  I wish they just had smart batteries which quit charging when fully charged. 

14 of 31 (2,116 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 7:09:37 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

Paolo01 wrote:

One more thing.  The CSR told me today to not leave the Samsung plugged in for more than a few hours.  He said overnight charging was to be avoided because of the battery.  Interesting.  I wish they just had smart batteries which quit charging when fully charged. 

What? I don't believe that.  Everyone charges their phone overnight.  I'll test it tonight!

15 of 31 (2,104 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 7:10:58 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Ya, that seems a bit ridiculous since overnight charging is a typical standard practice.

16 of 31 (2,101 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 8:02:00 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

I have another question to ask readers, hope you don't mind... Smiley Happy

What do you think of the web browser, particularly with regards to web sites not created for mobile devices? Do you think it's worse/as good/better than the web browser on the iphone 4 and android 2.1?

17 of 31 (2,074 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 9:23:27 PM
    (0)
    Mentor

I am loving the focus, played around with it alot today, adding a bunch content to start menu as pins, found that i could not inport outlook contacts directly onto phone, had to export and synch them to hotmail, than import them.

ordered a 32gig sd card from amazon for 81 bucks, cant wait to load stuff on phone

you can look at the friends in people sqaure, press down on pic and pin to start, a great tab to keep track of my 15 year old and stuff he post on his facebook page

ditto you can pin web page shortcuts

lots free apps in store, got twitter, facebook and a stock app,

the browser works for me as good as my iphone , but better cause of larger screen

18 of 31 (2,042 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 8, 2010 9:43:35 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

If I buy a Samsung Focus from some one else (probably on eBay) and just swap in my current AT&T SIM card, would it work? Does AT&T have a way to tell that I am using a WP7 (through IMEI or w/e) and charge me extra for the required data plan?

19 of 31 (2,030 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2010 2:06:04 AM
    (0)
    Professor

bei337 wrote:

If I buy a Samsung Focus from some one else (probably on eBay) and just swap in my current AT&T SIM card, would it work? Does AT&T have a way to tell that I am using a WP7 (through IMEI or w/e) and charge me extra for the required data plan?

If you use data and you don't have a plan that covers it, you will be charged for data useage. Yes your old SIM will work.

20 of 31 (1,997 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2010 5:46:41 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Thanks for the links!

21 of 31 (2,201 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2010 6:54:57 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by bei337 on Nov 9, 2010 at 6:56:43 AM

Repost.

[ Edited ]
    22 of 31 (2,171 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2010 6:56:23 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Paolo01 wrote:

bei337 wrote:

If you use data and you don't have a plan that covers it, you will be charged for data useage. Yes your old SIM will work.

My old SIM has the unlimited data plan for "dumb phones".  So I was wondering if AT&T could tell I have switched to a Windows Phone and charge me for the smart phone data plan?

23 of 31 (2,166 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2010 6:58:39 AM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by PerfectCr on Nov 9, 2010 at 6:59:44 AM

PerfectCr wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

What? I don't believe that.  Everyone charges their phone overnight.  I'll test it tonight!

So I charged it overnight, WITH A CASE ON it, the phone was cool to the touch.  No issues.

[ Edited ]
    24 of 31 (2,160 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2010 8:11:38 AM
    (0)
    Expert

PerfectCr wrote:

PerfectCr wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

So I charged it overnight, WITH A CASE ON it, the phone was cool to the touch.  No issues.

havent seen a case that I like, or is protective enough for my tastes, hoping that Otterbox comes out with the Defender series for the phone.

25 of 31 (2,118 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2010 8:23:32 AM
    (0)
    Master

bei337 wrote:

My old SIM has the unlimited data plan for "dumb phones".  So I was wondering if AT&T could tell I have switched to a Windows Phone and charge me for the smart phone data plan?

Yes, AT&T will know it the minute you turn it on. Your phone's IMEI is transimitted to AT&T the first second you have it on. Since it is an AT&T branded phone, they know right away that you're using a Smartphone.

26 of 31 (2,100 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2010 4:03:12 PM
    (0)
    Voyager

You mentioned two hard reset methods. I know about the one in the About menu. How do you activate the bricked phone hard reset? I have a Samsung Focus that I have screwed up trying a 32 G Kingstom Class 4 microSDHD card? It only reports 15MB not 37GB of memory!

Bill Walter

27 of 31 (1,993 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 9, 2010 4:28:40 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

foxbat121 wrote:

bei337 wrote:

Yes, AT&T will know it the minute you turn it on. Your phone's IMEI is transimitted to AT&T the first second you have it on. Since it is an AT&T branded phone, they know right away that you're using a Smartphone.

Good point.

Now what if I buy an unlocked Windows Phone 7 that's not exclusive to AT&T, such as one from Europe that uses the same 3G band as AT&T, would they recognize that it's a smartphone?  I've had my unlocked E71 (which AT&T has and charges smartphone data for it) with the dumbphone plan, and I haven't had any issues.

28 of 31 (1,984 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 10, 2010 3:32:07 AM
    (0)
    Expert

bei337 wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

bei337 wrote:

Good point.

Now what if I buy an unlocked Windows Phone 7 that's not exclusive to AT&T, such as one from Europe that uses the same 3G band as AT&T, would they recognize that it's a smartphone?  I've had my unlocked E71 (which AT&T has and charges smartphone data for it) with the dumbphone plan, and I haven't had any issues.

maybe, maybe not - you never know, but remember if they do find out they will change the data plan. New OS, New IMEI series of numbers, suspect that it will be easier to identify then other smartphones with older os's

29 of 31 (1,906 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Nov 14, 2010 2:07:09 AM
    (0)
    Professor

While many may know it, here is a quick link to explain how to configure the find my phone feature.

30 of 31 (1,699 Views)