Got the Focus? Any tips or tricks?

Mentor

Got the Focus? Any tips or tricks?

[ Edited ]

It's too early here to pick up the Samsung Focus at a local AT&T store so I'll have to wait at least a few more hours to get one.

If you've bought the Samsung Focus,

- What are your initial impressions?

- Is it as fast as everyone seems to say?

- Did you buy a larger memory card for it?

- Have you found any undocumented tips or tricks?

I can't wait to get one for myself!

Message 1 of 31 (4,240 Views)
Tutor

Re: Got the Focus? Any tips or tricks?

Ya, that seems a bit ridiculous since overnight charging is a typical standard practice.

Message 16 of 31 (2,200 Views)
Scholar

I have another question to ask readers, hope you don't mind... Smiley Happy

What do you think of the web browser, particularly with regards to web sites not created for mobile devices? Do you think it's worse/as good/better than the web browser on the iphone 4 and android 2.1?

Message 17 of 31 (2,173 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

I am loving the focus, played around with it alot today, adding a bunch content to start menu as pins, found that i could not inport outlook contacts directly onto phone, had to export and synch them to hotmail, than import them.

ordered a 32gig sd card from amazon for 81 bucks, cant wait to load stuff on phone

you can look at the friends in people sqaure, press down on pic and pin to start, a great tab to keep track of my 15 year old and stuff he post on his facebook page

ditto you can pin web page shortcuts

lots free apps in store, got twitter, facebook and a stock app,

the browser works for me as good as my iphone , but better cause of larger screen

Message 18 of 31 (2,141 Views)
Tutor

If I buy a Samsung Focus from some one else (probably on eBay) and just swap in my current AT&T SIM card, would it work? Does AT&T have a way to tell that I am using a WP7 (through IMEI or w/e) and charge me extra for the required data plan?

Message 19 of 31 (2,129 Views)
Professor

bei337 wrote:

If I buy a Samsung Focus from some one else (probably on eBay) and just swap in my current AT&T SIM card, would it work? Does AT&T have a way to tell that I am using a WP7 (through IMEI or w/e) and charge me extra for the required data plan?

If you use data and you don't have a plan that covers it, you will be charged for data useage. Yes your old SIM will work.

Message 20 of 31 (2,096 Views)
Scholar

Thanks for the links!

Message 21 of 31 (2,300 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Repost.

Message 22 of 31 (2,270 Views)
Tutor

Paolo01 wrote:

bei337 wrote:

If you use data and you don't have a plan that covers it, you will be charged for data useage. Yes your old SIM will work.

My old SIM has the unlimited data plan for "dumb phones".  So I was wondering if AT&T could tell I have switched to a Windows Phone and charge me for the smart phone data plan?

Message 23 of 31 (2,265 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

PerfectCr wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

One more thing.  The CSR told me today to not leave the Samsung plugged in for more than a few hours.  He said overnight charging was to be avoided because of the battery.  Interesting.  I wish they just had smart batteries which quit charging when fully charged. 

What? I don't believe that.  Everyone charges their phone overnight.  I'll test it tonight!

So I charged it overnight, WITH A CASE ON it, the phone was cool to the touch.  No issues.

Message 24 of 31 (2,259 Views)
Expert

PerfectCr wrote:

PerfectCr wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

One more thing.  The CSR told me today to not leave the Samsung plugged in for more than a few hours.  He said overnight charging was to be avoided because of the battery.  Interesting.  I wish they just had smart batteries which quit charging when fully charged. 

What? I don't believe that.  Everyone charges their phone overnight.  I'll test it tonight!

So I charged it overnight, WITH A CASE ON it, the phone was cool to the touch.  No issues.

havent seen a case that I like, or is protective enough for my tastes, hoping that Otterbox comes out with the Defender series for the phone.

Message 25 of 31 (2,217 Views)
Master

bei337 wrote:

My old SIM has the unlimited data plan for "dumb phones".  So I was wondering if AT&T could tell I have switched to a Windows Phone and charge me for the smart phone data plan?

Yes, AT&T will know it the minute you turn it on. Your phone's IMEI is transimitted to AT&T the first second you have it on. Since it is an AT&T branded phone, they know right away that you're using a Smartphone.

Message 26 of 31 (2,199 Views)
Voyager

You mentioned two hard reset methods. I know about the one in the About menu. How do you activate the bricked phone hard reset? I have a Samsung Focus that I have screwed up trying a 32 G Kingstom Class 4 microSDHD card? It only reports 15MB not 37GB of memory!

Bill Walter

Message 27 of 31 (2,092 Views)
Tutor

foxbat121 wrote:

bei337 wrote:

Yes, AT&T will know it the minute you turn it on. Your phone's IMEI is transimitted to AT&T the first second you have it on. Since it is an AT&T branded phone, they know right away that you're using a Smartphone.

Good point.

Now what if I buy an unlocked Windows Phone 7 that's not exclusive to AT&T, such as one from Europe that uses the same 3G band as AT&T, would they recognize that it's a smartphone?  I've had my unlocked E71 (which AT&T has and charges smartphone data for it) with the dumbphone plan, and I haven't had any issues.

Message 28 of 31 (2,083 Views)
Expert

bei337 wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

bei337 wrote:

Good point.

Now what if I buy an unlocked Windows Phone 7 that's not exclusive to AT&T, such as one from Europe that uses the same 3G band as AT&T, would they recognize that it's a smartphone?  I've had my unlocked E71 (which AT&T has and charges smartphone data for it) with the dumbphone plan, and I haven't had any issues.

maybe, maybe not - you never know, but remember if they do find out they will change the data plan. New OS, New IMEI series of numbers, suspect that it will be easier to identify then other smartphones with older os's

Message 29 of 31 (2,005 Views)
Professor

While many may know it, here is a quick link to explain how to configure the find my phone feature.

Message 30 of 31 (1,798 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.