Got the Focus? Any tips or tricks?

Mentor

Got the Focus? Any tips or tricks?

[ Edited ]

It's too early here to pick up the Samsung Focus at a local AT&T store so I'll have to wait at least a few more hours to get one.

If you've bought the Samsung Focus,

- What are your initial impressions?

- Is it as fast as everyone seems to say?

- Did you buy a larger memory card for it?

- Have you found any undocumented tips or tricks?

I can't wait to get one for myself!

Message 1 of 31 (4,241 Views)
Professor

Re: Got the Focus? Any tips or tricks?

Standing in line myself. a veryshort line mind you :-) about ten minutes to go.
Message 2 of 31 (4,201 Views)
Tutor

Got mine already and LOVING IT!  The screen is gorgeous.

Can't really offer any tips right now, I'm just staring at the screen,Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 31 (4,135 Views)
Professor

Be VERY deliberate about the format process when you put your new microSDHC card in the phone.  Follow the directions on this link.

http://www.wireless.att.com/support/tutorials.do?tutorialsCategory=Getting+Started&tutorialId=877530...

1. Simultaneously press and hold the Camera key, Volume down key, and Power key.
  2. Once the phone vibrates, release the Power key while still holding down the Camera and Volume down keys.
  3. When the "Format" prompt is displayed on screen, release the Camera and Volume down keys, press the WINDOWS key.
  4. Press the Windows key again to confirm formatting.
  5. Once the format is completed, the Initial setup will be displayed.
  6. Verify the available memory has been updated by tapping Settings > About.

These steps will work.  The quick start is a lettle less specific and stumped me for a bit.  I ended up with 22GB after inserting my 16GB card.

Message 4 of 31 (4,113 Views)
Professor

Did anybody find a way to get free Zune time with their WP7 purchase through att wireless?

Message 5 of 31 (4,082 Views)
Tutor

So are you saying to get a "clean" format you have to follow those steps?

I added my card after firing up the phone the first time and it didn't automatically reset the phone and only recognized the onboard 8gb.  I then went into settings, about, and hit "reset your phone".  After the warnings about losing data, it restarted, went through the initial setup wizard, and I now see 22GB.

Was my method not a true reset?

Message 6 of 31 (4,079 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

I think it is the same. Two different hard resetting methods: one pure software initiated and one pure hardware initiated. Same as old WM phones. There is time that the pure hardware initiated method is needed, like when your phone is toally bricked and unresponsive.

Message 7 of 31 (4,070 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Paolo01 wrote:

Did anybody find a way to get free Zune time with their WP7 purchase through att wireless?

http://freeentertainmentpack.com/?wtSlotClick=1-004CGC-0-1&WT.svl=calltoaction

Message 8 of 31 (3,972 Views)
Teacher

I got my Focus today morning. I was the first guy, and the only guy, when local AT&T store opened. I like it as you can clearly see the display even in direct sunlight.

Initially, it was not accepting my live id telling me that the username and passwords not matching. After 3 trials, I noticed something. I was typing '...@hotmail..com'. The two dots were coming as the 'com' in the SIP has got the preceeding dot. So though it is small one, can be irritating if not noticed.

It is bad that the phone is having SD card issue. Anyway I am not removing the SD card now itself and will not be loading much till the MS delivers the fix.

Message 9 of 31 (3,926 Views)
Scholar

Anyone figure out how to get ringtones for the Focus?  I can't find a way to do it directly from the Focus, and when I go to the AT&T ringtone download site and select a ringtone to purchase, it asks me to select the phone and the Focus is not listed among the Samsung choices (either as "Focus" or "SGH-i917").

Message 10 of 31 (3,908 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

WP7 does not yet support custom ringtones.  Only OS factory supplied ones will work presently.

On the WP7 feedback site (where you can vote for OS upgrades/features - it is listed there if you want to tell MS you want it, sign up and vote there).

Message 11 of 31 (2,308 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

I had read WP7 didn't support custom ringtones, but I thought that meant the ringtones I made myself for my Fuze.  I didn't realize it meant that AT&T's own ringtones which they like to sell to us won't work either.  BTW, where is that WP7 feedback site that I can cast my vote?

Message 12 of 31 (2,305 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]
Message 13 of 31 (2,266 Views)
Professor

One more thing.  The CSR told me today to not leave the Samsung plugged in for more than a few hours.  He said overnight charging was to be avoided because of the battery.  Interesting.  I wish they just had smart batteries which quit charging when fully charged. 

Message 14 of 31 (2,218 Views)
Teacher

Paolo01 wrote:

One more thing.  The CSR told me today to not leave the Samsung plugged in for more than a few hours.  He said overnight charging was to be avoided because of the battery.  Interesting.  I wish they just had smart batteries which quit charging when fully charged. 

What? I don't believe that.  Everyone charges their phone overnight.  I'll test it tonight!

Message 15 of 31 (2,206 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.