Got Galaxy Note and new to Android: setting up email using either wireless or using data plan???

Scholar

Got Galaxy Note and new to Android: setting up email using either wireless or using data plan???

Got the new Note.  I upgraded from a a WinMo 6.5 Tilt2.  So far, having fun learning the new Android set up.  I am confused about setting up email. 

When I autoconfigured my POP3 email account (a Southern California Road Runner Account) it chose "smtp-mobile.roadrunner.com" as the outgoing email server.  A couple of searches on the internet showed this as the correct outgoing server at port 25.    (My incoming mail server is just fine).   This setting doesn't work to send emails with Wi-fi detection turned on or off.  However, the OLD outgoing server setting (cwmx.com) works to send emails, but it only works  with WiFi turned off.

I would like to take advantage of leaving wi-fi turned on and being able to send emails using wi-fi.   Can anyone help or clarify how this works on Android. 

I think the Android operating system is 2.3.6

Thanks,

W!

Message 1 of 5 (1,215 Views)
Voyager

Re: Got Galaxy Note and new to Android: setting up email using either wireless or using data plan???

Just a quick guess here, but I believe that with WiFi turned on you need to use the same SMTP settings (name AND port (587?) as you do if accessing via a PC. Like you, I found out that the cwmx.com and port 25 works only if WiFi is off. My assumption is that those settings are used when you go through the ATT network (via the cell) and the other settings would work if you're going via your router with WiFi turned on which in my case would be smtp.comcast.net and port 587...but I haven't tried it yet.

Let us know if that works for you.

Message 2 of 5 (1,140 Views)
Voyager

Re: Got Galaxy Note and new to Android: setting up email using either wireless or using data plan???

Well, I just tried my own suggestion and it works. When I'm using WiFi (around the house) I attach to my router and send e-mails (and do everything else) on my home connection using the setup I described. I guess it's a way to save some air time and data plan usage...just need to configure two account settings to use.

Message 3 of 5 (1,118 Views)
Voyager

Well I've not got it figured out: use my Comcast settings for ALL outgoing mail. When I'm on ATT's 4G network I'm going through the Comcast SMTP server since I have to log on using my ID and password. When I'm home, I just turn on WiFi and go out that way. Either way, only one outgoing setting required for my POP3 e-mail account. Live and learn...

Message 4 of 5 (1,117 Views)
Scholar

I'll be experimenting more with it this weekend. When I first set up the phone it had port 587 and auto configured smtp-mobile.roadrunner.com and I did get a test email to work just great.  Then I kept fiddling around and it stopped working ---- I do know the cwmx.com with wifi off works consistently to send emails.  But I ran into the same problem you did!

Message 5 of 5 (1,099 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.