Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 18, 2011
9:44:20 PM
Gophone purchase

Perhaps I can get an answer here, as the supposed "live chat" did not do the trick. Neither did calling, where I got run around into a dead-end automated response. Yesterday I purchased a refurbished Gophone and $50 unlimited calling plan online. The total at checkout was $93.04. Today I look at my bank account online and find that I have been charged $180 (so far!). As I stated, the one human being I was able to talk to transferred me to her "associate" which was actually an automated bunch of crap that wound up disconnecting me after I had been waiting patiently for about 15 minutes. So, can anyone tell me why AT&T finds the need to steal from it's customers? I would very much like to know.

Perhaps I can get an answer here, as the supposed "live chat" did not do the trick. Neither did calling, where I got run around into a dead-end automated response. Yesterday I purchased a refurbished Gophone and $50 unlimited calling plan online. The total at checkout was $93.04. Today I look at my bank account online and find that I have been charged $180 (so far!). As I stated, the one human being I was able to talk to transferred me to her "associate" which was actually an automated bunch of crap that wound up disconnecting me after I had been waiting patiently for about 15 minutes. So, can anyone tell me why AT&T finds the need to steal from it's customers? I would very much like to know.

Gophone purchase

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 5:10:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Oct 19, 2011 at 5:12:12 AM

When you were transferred back to the automated voice response system, did you state "customer service" at every menu option?  That's really what it takes to reach a live rep with at&t any more, but you should be able to do so.  (Prepaid customers do not have access to "Live Chat". Smiley Sad )

Unfortunately I cannot answer why at&t has charged you basically double what the order total was - and it has actually been deducted from your bank account balance?  The second approx. $90 is not just a "reserved authorization" amount as they do with credit/debit cards? (If that's what it is it should be removed within a few days, but it still won't hurt to confirm that with customer service.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

When you were transferred back to the automated voice response system, did you state "customer service" at every menu option?  That's really what it takes to reach a live rep with at&t any more, but you should be able to do so.  (Prepaid customers do not have access to "Live Chat". Smiley Sad )

Unfortunately I cannot answer why at&t has charged you basically double what the order total was - and it has actually been deducted from your bank account balance?  The second approx. $90 is not just a "reserved authorization" amount as they do with credit/debit cards? (If that's what it is it should be removed within a few days, but it still won't hurt to confirm that with customer service.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Gophone purchase

[ Edited ]
2 of 9 (340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 6:25:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

There was never an option to do anything on the automated response other than enter the phone number, which doesn't work as I haven't received and activated the phone yet. The thing that is so upsetting is that I live on a fixed income and due to this situation I now have $9 on which to eat for the rest of the month.

There was never an option to do anything on the automated response other than enter the phone number, which doesn't work as I haven't received and activated the phone yet. The thing that is so upsetting is that I live on a fixed income and due to this situation I now have $9 on which to eat for the rest of the month.

3 of 9 (334 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 19, 2011 10:43:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
I certainly understand. Smiley Sad You should be able to choose "more options" at the first prompt (choose "another number" if asked if the phone number you are calling from is correct), then say customer service at each subsequent prompt. The system should give up after a few and connect you with a live rep who can help you with what is going on.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

I certainly understand. Smiley Sad You should be able to choose "more options" at the first prompt (choose "another number" if asked if the phone number you are calling from is correct), then say customer service at each subsequent prompt. The system should give up after a few and connect you with a live rep who can help you with what is going on.
                                                                                                                         =^..^=

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 9 (328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 7:05:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK, so after a week of haggling we got the issue with the bank account straightened out. The problem now is that my sim card won't activate. It fail when I turn the phone on and it fails when I try to do it online with the card number. So I'm wondering....the reason I bought this phone is that I live and work in a mountainous region of northern California. The only service that works properly up here is AT&T. So is it possible that I'm just not getting a good enough signal? Or should I be able to activate the card no matter where I am?

Thanks

OK, so after a week of haggling we got the issue with the bank account straightened out. The problem now is that my sim card won't activate. It fail when I turn the phone on and it fails when I try to do it online with the card number. So I'm wondering....the reason I bought this phone is that I live and work in a mountainous region of northern California. The only service that works properly up here is AT&T. So is it possible that I'm just not getting a good enough signal? Or should I be able to activate the card no matter where I am?

Thanks

5 of 9 (298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2011 10:17:22 PM
(0)
Professor

bigguns1961 wrote:

Thanks

Glad that you were able to straighten out the dollar amount.

You should be able to activate the card wherever there's signal. Power down the phone and then power back up. Then try to register the phone online again.

bigguns1961 wrote:

Thanks

You should be able to activate the card wherever there's signal. Power down the phone and then power back up. Then try to register the phone online again.

6 of 9 (290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 5:31:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

ilikewireless wrote:

bigguns1961 wrote:

Thanks

And if that doesn't work, you may have to contact customer service for activation - the last two SIMs I activated, the on-line activation tool failed and I had to contact customer service in order to complete the process.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

ilikewireless wrote:

bigguns1961 wrote:

Thanks

And if that doesn't work, you may have to contact customer service for activation - the last two SIMs I activated, the on-line activation tool failed and I had to contact customer service in order to complete the process.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

7 of 9 (284 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 5:28:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks. Got ahold of a customer service guy on the phone and he hooked me right up. And the phone works great!!!

Thanks. Got ahold of a customer service guy on the phone and he hooked me right up. And the phone works great!!!

8 of 9 (272 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2011 9:37:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That's great - I'm glad to hear it! Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

That's great - I'm glad to hear it! Smiley Happy

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

9 of 9 (266 Views)