Google to buy Motorola

Guru

Google to buy Motorola

I just heard that Google intends on buying Motorola for $12.5 billion. I'm real curious to see how this one turns out.

Message 1 of 46 (1,089 Views)
Guru

Re: GOOGLE BUYING MOTOROLA

Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 46 (917 Views)
Professor

I like this hobby 'cuz I have not spent much money owing to the overwhelming choices of phones.Smiley Very Happy

With Google buying Motorola Mobility Inc., I think the end of overwhelming choices is near. I recall that it used to be harder to pick a PC with all the choices in the market but now for me it's easy - just pick a well made one with plenty of reserves.

Message 17 of 46 (916 Views)
Expert

Will these older phones eventually get cut out of the Network?  There will come a time when they can't get a signal?

Message 18 of 46 (913 Views)
Professor

What happens with existing network is that eventually it will be in "maintenance only" mode, while the "G" number increases. There's a very high investment in existing network, and they are not going to go away anytime soon. The 2G and EDGE network practically blankets the whole country. I can see that newly developed housing areas will be getting only the newer G's.

Message 19 of 46 (910 Views)
Guru

spd2demun wrote:

Will these older phones eventually get cut out of the Network?  There will come a time when they can't get a signal?

I think I remember reading on this site somewhere about if you had an older non 3G phone that AT&T was recommending an upgrade to a newer phone because after a certain date the older phone would be of no use, or something like that. Does anyone know or heard anything about that? It's been awhile since I've read that so I could be way off, if I can dig it up I'll pass it along.

Message 20 of 46 (907 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

There has been forum discussions elsewhere about techies saying that AT&T would be sunsetting 2G soon. That could be true only in certain market areas and coming in phases for that to make sense because an upgrade is a monumental investment all over the US. It's also partly because of the large customer base. The GoPhone lack of 2G coverage in the middle portion of US but depicted 3G coverage in the same areas had me wondering if they started building up 3G's in sparsely populated areas where there was not even 2G to begin with. It makes sense to me for new construction to be only 3G or higher.

I seem to recall the forum name howardforums.com.

Edit: Here it is:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1726599-Shutting-down-2G-in-Mississippi

Message 21 of 46 (955 Views)
Master

Re: Google to buy Motorola

There are areas shown even on ATT's coverage map that note a 3G phone is required to have service in those areas.

Large chucks of Montana, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Nevada to name a few locations "Requires a 3G Capable Handset" to have voice coverage there.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 22 of 46 (952 Views)
Guru

Google buying Motorola, AT&T merging with T Mobile, I guess we can expect some interesting times ahead.

Message 23 of 46 (926 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Razr8 wrote:

Google buying Motorola, AT&T merging with T Mobile, I guess we can expect some interesting times ahead.

Domino effect? This looks like the beginning of a major cell phone industry shake-up. Anyway read about the fate of HP webos smartphones, tablets and PC business: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20094264-92/hp-bidding-adieu-to-webos-pc-business-roundup/

Message 24 of 46 (917 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

I read that earlier, unbelievable!  And getting out of the tablet business, and probably selling off the computer side.

The T-mo thing may not happen, but we can't discuss that here. Smiley Sad

I wonder if Google can give us a smartphone RAZR? Smiley Very Happy

Message 25 of 46 (913 Views)
Professor

spd2demun wrote:

I read that earlier, unbelievable!  And getting out of the tablet business, and probably selling off the computer side.

The T-mo thing may not happen, but we can't discuss that here. Smiley Sad

I wonder if Google can give us a smartphone RAZR? :smileyvery-happy:

I want a smartphone RAZR too. With speech to text translation, a QWERTY keyboard is not always necessary.

Message 26 of 46 (911 Views)
Expert

Now, you're talking! Smiley Very Happy  Let's get them working on that, pronto!

Message 27 of 46 (908 Views)
Guru

LOL, that's too funny, I have also had ideas for a RAZR style phone with smartphone like specs. Just as long as call quality is at the top of list.

Message 28 of 46 (902 Views)
Professor

Okay are you guys done laughing?Smiley Happy

The closest to a smart razr is a Blackberry flip phoneSmiley Happy

Message 29 of 46 (894 Views)
Guru

As for the smartphone RAZR it has to have Crystal Talk Plus or better and it definitely has to be made of metal, maybe the same stuff that Wonder Woman's bracelets are made ofSmiley Very Happy. And no less than a 5 megapixel camera.

Message 30 of 46 (895 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.