Wireless Forums

Posted Aug 15, 2011
9:27:54 AM
View profile
Google to buy Motorola

I just heard that Google intends on buying Motorola for $12.5 billion. I'm real curious to see how this one turns out.

I just heard that Google intends on buying Motorola for $12.5 billion. I'm real curious to see how this one turns out.

Google to buy Motorola

45 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(45)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2011 11:36:54 AM
(0)
Professor

Might mean no more long waits for updates.:smileyhappy:

Might mean no more long waits for updates.:smileyhappy:

Re: Google to buy Motorola

2 of 46 (879 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 15, 2011 11:50:36 AM
(0)
Guru

Berzerker wrote:

Might mean no more long waits for updates.:smileyhappy::smileywink:

The report also mentioned that Google would have access to several patents held by Motorola, so let's see where they go with that.

Berzerker wrote:

Might mean no more long waits for updates.:smileyhappy::smileywink:

The report also mentioned that Google would have access to several patents held by Motorola, so let's see where they go with that.

3 of 46 (877 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 4:18:59 AM
(0)
Expert

This does not make me and my RAZR happy. :smileymad:

This does not make me and my RAZR happy. :smileymad:

4 of 46 (859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 4:36:56 AM
(0)
Professor

So Google is buying out Motorola... hmm will be interesting to see how the motorola products either merge or fades. Even more interesting to see what new products may come from this merge and what carriers will "DO" (att)  to them before they get released to the consumer .

So Google is buying out Motorola... hmm will be interesting to see how the motorola products either merge or fades. Even more interesting to see what new products may come from this merge and what carriers will "DO" (att)  to them before they get released to the consumer .

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

GOOGLE BUYING MOTOROLA

5 of 46 (855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 9:01:34 AM
(0)
Guru

I'd like to get a RAZR3 out of the deal if I could:smileywink:

I'd like to get a RAZR3 out of the deal if I could:smileywink:

Re: GOOGLE BUYING MOTOROLA

6 of 46 (845 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 8:05:45 PM
(0)
Expert

Which carriers are even offering them these days?  Certainly not ATT in my area.  You should see the horrible dumbphone selection!

I think Google is getting too big for their britches these days. :smileymad:

Which carriers are even offering them these days?  Certainly not ATT in my area.  You should see the horrible dumbphone selection!

I think Google is getting too big for their britches these days. :smileymad:

7 of 46 (830 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 8:19:27 PM
(0)
Guru

Spd2demun, are you using a RAZR or RAZR2? Google didn't exactly invent Android, correct? Didn't Linux come up with it and Google took it from there or something like that?

Spd2demun, are you using a RAZR or RAZR2? Google didn't exactly invent Android, correct? Didn't Linux come up with it and Google took it from there or something like that?

8 of 46 (827 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 10:23:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Wow, I wonder if they will get full ownership of the company/what they plan to do with Motorola once it's under their wing. I honestly don't see what they would do with it or what they would need it for, other than creating new Motorola/Google Android devices...

Although I'm not sure how Android fully emerged, I know that it's associated with Google and they have a large partnership together.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Wow, I wonder if they will get full ownership of the company/what they plan to do with Motorola once it's under their wing. I honestly don't see what they would do with it or what they would need it for, other than creating new Motorola/Google Android devices...

Although I'm not sure how Android fully emerged, I know that it's associated with Google and they have a large partnership together.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 46 (822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2011 10:42:46 PM
(0)
Expert

I have a V3xxx, didn't go up to the V9 (I think it was next?) because I didn't want a bigger screen outside to be scratched.

One of your fellow Wireless members was kind enough to help me troubleshoot mine when it died last year (mobo got fried).  I ended up taking the mobo out of son's broken one, and had them swapped for $20!  Only problem with the RAZR, it harder to see the screen, finer print. :smileysad:  It's in near perfect condition, and even the ATT repair center was drooling over it, LOL!

Another worry I have is on the Uverse side.  Some markets (mine) are using Moto DVRs/STBs; other markets have Ciscos.  Already seems more problems with the Moto boxes vs. the Ciscos, so no telling what will happen. :smileysad:

I have a V3xxx, didn't go up to the V9 (I think it was next?) because I didn't want a bigger screen outside to be scratched.

One of your fellow Wireless members was kind enough to help me troubleshoot mine when it died last year (mobo got fried).  I ended up taking the mobo out of son's broken one, and had them swapped for $20!  Only problem with the RAZR, it harder to see the screen, finer print. :smileysad:  It's in near perfect condition, and even the ATT repair center was drooling over it, LOL!

Another worry I have is on the Uverse side.  Some markets (mine) are using Moto DVRs/STBs; other markets have Ciscos.  Already seems more problems with the Moto boxes vs. the Ciscos, so no telling what will happen. :smileysad:

10 of 46 (820 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 8:25:40 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 17, 2011 at 8:29:28 AM

"It's in near perfect condition, and even the ATT repair center was drooling over it, LOL!"

I saw the Razr at Bestbuy's unlocked phone section, and I thought the look of the phone was impressive. Did the Razr win the top 10 best looking phone award? I wonder why Motorola quit selling them if millions were sold and Razr ranks number 2, after a Nokia phone in world wide sales.

I'm seriously considering a Razr to use for travel.

"It's in near perfect condition, and even the ATT repair center was drooling over it, LOL!"

I saw the Razr at Bestbuy's unlocked phone section, and I thought the look of the phone was impressive. Did the Razr win the top 10 best looking phone award? I wonder why Motorola quit selling them if millions were sold and Razr ranks number 2, after a Nokia phone in world wide sales.

I'm seriously considering a Razr to use for travel.

[ Edited ]
11 of 46 (775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 8:44:05 AM
(0)
Expert

I know it's old-tech, but it's a sturdy phone made from mostly metal!  Mine has been dropped twice in about 6 years, but only the battery cover popped off.  And no data plan *required*!

I found several new ones online, and was going that route if I couldn't get mine fixed.  Sorry, but it's just a reliable phone with good battery life.

Moto has been in financial trouble for a while, IIRC. :smileysad:  I think it is that most people want (think they need) a smartphone.

I know it's old-tech, but it's a sturdy phone made from mostly metal!  Mine has been dropped twice in about 6 years, but only the battery cover popped off.  And no data plan *required*!

I found several new ones online, and was going that route if I couldn't get mine fixed.  Sorry, but it's just a reliable phone with good battery life.

Moto has been in financial trouble for a while, IIRC. :smileysad:  I think it is that most people want (think they need) a smartphone.

12 of 46 (768 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 9:09:46 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by pamelaz on Aug 17, 2011 at 9:11:52 AM

I have to agree with spd2demun, solid metal construction, great reception and reliable. Couldn't be happier with my phone. The only thing I can think of as to why Motorola stopped selling them was maybe they felt there was no market for them in a smartphone world. Although Motorola did release the RAZR3 in Korea. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I have to agree with spd2demun, solid metal construction, great reception and reliable. Couldn't be happier with my phone. The only thing I can think of as to why Motorola stopped selling them was maybe they felt there was no market for them in a smartphone world. Although Motorola did release the RAZR3 in Korea. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

[ Edited ]
13 of 46 (763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 9:16:43 AM
(0)
Guru

spd2demun wrote:

Spd2demun, I was able to get my hands on an extra V9x, so if the one I'm using meets an untimely end I am covered.:smileywink:

spd2demun wrote:

Spd2demun, I was able to get my hands on an extra V9x, so if the one I'm using meets an untimely end I am covered.:smileywink:

14 of 46 (756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 9:18:59 AM
(0)
Expert

:smileyvery-happy:  I guess we look like a sad lot!

:smileyvery-happy:  I guess we look like a sad lot!

15 of 46 (754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 9:29:55 AM
(0)
Guru

:smileyvery-happy:

:smileyvery-happy:

16 of 46 (749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 9:32:10 AM
(0)
Professor

I like this hobby 'cuz I have not spent much money owing to the overwhelming choices of phones.:smileyvery-happy:

With Google buying Motorola Mobility Inc., I think the end of overwhelming choices is near. I recall that it used to be harder to pick a PC with all the choices in the market but now for me it's easy - just pick a well made one with plenty of reserves.

I like this hobby 'cuz I have not spent much money owing to the overwhelming choices of phones.:smileyvery-happy:

With Google buying Motorola Mobility Inc., I think the end of overwhelming choices is near. I recall that it used to be harder to pick a PC with all the choices in the market but now for me it's easy - just pick a well made one with plenty of reserves.

17 of 46 (748 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 9:34:27 AM
(0)
Expert

Will these older phones eventually get cut out of the Network?  There will come a time when they can't get a signal?

Will these older phones eventually get cut out of the Network?  There will come a time when they can't get a signal?

18 of 46 (745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 9:43:11 AM
(0)
Professor

What happens with existing network is that eventually it will be in "maintenance only" mode, while the "G" number increases. There's a very high investment in existing network, and they are not going to go away anytime soon. The 2G and EDGE network practically blankets the whole country. I can see that newly developed housing areas will be getting only the newer G's.

What happens with existing network is that eventually it will be in "maintenance only" mode, while the "G" number increases. There's a very high investment in existing network, and they are not going to go away anytime soon. The 2G and EDGE network practically blankets the whole country. I can see that newly developed housing areas will be getting only the newer G's.

19 of 46 (742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 10:26:00 AM
(0)
Guru

spd2demun wrote:

I think I remember reading on this site somewhere about if you had an older non 3G phone that AT&T was recommending an upgrade to a newer phone because after a certain date the older phone would be of no use, or something like that. Does anyone know or heard anything about that? It's been awhile since I've read that so I could be way off, if I can dig it up I'll pass it along.

spd2demun wrote:

I think I remember reading on this site somewhere about if you had an older non 3G phone that AT&T was recommending an upgrade to a newer phone because after a certain date the older phone would be of no use, or something like that. Does anyone know or heard anything about that? It's been awhile since I've read that so I could be way off, if I can dig it up I'll pass it along.

20 of 46 (739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 11:12:01 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 17, 2011 at 11:21:55 AM

There has been forum discussions elsewhere about techies saying that AT&T would be sunsetting 2G soon. That could be true only in certain market areas and coming in phases for that to make sense because an upgrade is a monumental investment all over the US. It's also partly because of the large customer base. The GoPhone lack of 2G coverage in the middle portion of US but depicted 3G coverage in the same areas had me wondering if they started building up 3G's in sparsely populated areas where there was not even 2G to begin with. It makes sense to me for new construction to be only 3G or higher.

I seem to recall the forum name howardforums.com.

Edit: Here it is:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1726599-Shutting-down-2G-in-Mississippi

There has been forum discussions elsewhere about techies saying that AT&T would be sunsetting 2G soon. That could be true only in certain market areas and coming in phases for that to make sense because an upgrade is a monumental investment all over the US. It's also partly because of the large customer base. The GoPhone lack of 2G coverage in the middle portion of US but depicted 3G coverage in the same areas had me wondering if they started building up 3G's in sparsely populated areas where there was not even 2G to begin with. It makes sense to me for new construction to be only 3G or higher.

I seem to recall the forum name howardforums.com.

Edit: Here it is:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1726599-Shutting-down-2G-in-Mississippi

[ Edited ]
21 of 46 (787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 17, 2011 11:28:26 AM
(0)
Professor
There are areas shown even on ATT's coverage map that note a 3G phone is required to have service in those areas.

Large chucks of Montana, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Nevada to name a few locations "Requires a 3G Capable Handset" to have voice coverage there.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :smileyhappy:
There are areas shown even on ATT's coverage map that note a 3G phone is required to have service in those areas.

Large chucks of Montana, the Dakotas, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Nevada to name a few locations "Requires a 3G Capable Handset" to have voice coverage there.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

22 of 46 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 9:51:27 AM
(0)
Guru

Google buying Motorola, AT&T merging with T Mobile, I guess we can expect some interesting times ahead.

Google buying Motorola, AT&T merging with T Mobile, I guess we can expect some interesting times ahead.

23 of 46 (758 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 5:19:43 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Aug 18, 2011 at 5:30:54 PM

Razr8 wrote:

Domino effect? This looks like the beginning of a major cell phone industry shake-up. Anyway read about the fate of HP webos smartphones, tablets and PC business: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20094264-92/hp-bidding-adieu-to-webos-pc-business-roundup/

Razr8 wrote:

Domino effect? This looks like the beginning of a major cell phone industry shake-up. Anyway read about the fate of HP webos smartphones, tablets and PC business: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20094264-92/hp-bidding-adieu-to-webos-pc-business-roundup/

[ Edited ]
24 of 46 (749 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 5:29:17 PM
(0)
Expert

I read that earlier, unbelievable!  And getting out of the tablet business, and probably selling off the computer side.

The T-mo thing may not happen, but we can't discuss that here. :smileysad:

I wonder if Google can give us a smartphone RAZR? :smileyvery-happy:

I read that earlier, unbelievable!  And getting out of the tablet business, and probably selling off the computer side.

25 of 46 (745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 5:34:35 PM
(0)
Professor

spd2demun wrote:

I want a smartphone RAZR too. With speech to text translation, a QWERTY keyboard is not always necessary.

spd2demun wrote:

I want a smartphone RAZR too. With speech to text translation, a QWERTY keyboard is not always necessary.

26 of 46 (743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 5:53:52 PM
(0)
Expert

Now, you're talking! :smileyvery-happy:  Let's get them working on that, pronto!

Now, you're talking! :smileyvery-happy:  Let's get them working on that, pronto!

27 of 46 (740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 9:20:42 PM
(0)
Guru

LOL, that's too funny, I have also had ideas for a RAZR style phone with smartphone like specs. Just as long as call quality is at the top of list.

LOL, that's too funny, I have also had ideas for a RAZR style phone with smartphone like specs. Just as long as call quality is at the top of list.

28 of 46 (734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 10:33:26 PM
(0)
Professor

Okay are you guys done laughing?:smileyhappy:

The closest to a smart razr is a Blackberry flip phone:smileyhappy:

Okay are you guys done laughing?:smileyhappy:

The closest to a smart razr is a Blackberry flip phone:smileyhappy:

29 of 46 (726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2011 10:38:24 PM
(0)
Guru

As for the smartphone RAZR it has to have Crystal Talk Plus or better and it definitely has to be made of metal, maybe the same stuff that Wonder Woman's bracelets are made of:smileyvery-happy:. And no less than a 5 megapixel camera.

As for the smartphone RAZR it has to have Crystal Talk Plus or better and it definitely has to be made of metal, maybe the same stuff that Wonder Woman's bracelets are made of:smileyvery-happy:. And no less than a 5 megapixel camera.

30 of 46 (727 Views)