Google to buy Motorola

Guru

Google to buy Motorola

I just heard that Google intends on buying Motorola for $12.5 billion. I'm real curious to see how this one turns out.

Message 1 of 46 (1,098 Views)
Professor

Re: Google to buy Motorola

Might mean no more long waits for updates.Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 46 (1,046 Views)
Guru

Berzerker wrote:

Might mean no more long waits for updates.Smiley HappySmiley Wink

The report also mentioned that Google would have access to several patents held by Motorola, so let's see where they go with that.

Message 3 of 46 (1,044 Views)
Expert

This does not make me and my RAZR happy. Smiley Mad

Message 4 of 46 (1,026 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

GOOGLE BUYING MOTOROLA

So Google is buying out Motorola... hmm will be interesting to see how the motorola products either merge or fades. Even more interesting to see what new products may come from this merge and what carriers will "DO" (att)  to them before they get released to the consumer .

Message 5 of 46 (1,022 Views)
Guru

Re: GOOGLE BUYING MOTOROLA

I'd like to get a RAZR3 out of the deal if I couldSmiley Wink

Message 6 of 46 (1,012 Views)
Expert

Which carriers are even offering them these days?  Certainly not ATT in my area.  You should see the horrible dumbphone selection!

I think Google is getting too big for their britches these days. Smiley Mad

Message 7 of 46 (997 Views)
Guru

Spd2demun, are you using a RAZR or RAZR2? Google didn't exactly invent Android, correct? Didn't Linux come up with it and Google took it from there or something like that?

Message 8 of 46 (994 Views)
Master

Wow, I wonder if they will get full ownership of the company/what they plan to do with Motorola once it's under their wing. I honestly don't see what they would do with it or what they would need it for, other than creating new Motorola/Google Android devices...

Although I'm not sure how Android fully emerged, I know that it's associated with Google and they have a large partnership together.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 9 of 46 (989 Views)
Expert

I have a V3xxx, didn't go up to the V9 (I think it was next?) because I didn't want a bigger screen outside to be scratched.

One of your fellow Wireless members was kind enough to help me troubleshoot mine when it died last year (mobo got fried).  I ended up taking the mobo out of son's broken one, and had them swapped for $20!  Only problem with the RAZR, it harder to see the screen, finer print. Smiley Sad  It's in near perfect condition, and even the ATT repair center was drooling over it, LOL!

Another worry I have is on the Uverse side.  Some markets (mine) are using Moto DVRs/STBs; other markets have Ciscos.  Already seems more problems with the Moto boxes vs. the Ciscos, so no telling what will happen. Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 46 (987 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

"It's in near perfect condition, and even the ATT repair center was drooling over it, LOL!"

I saw the Razr at Bestbuy's unlocked phone section, and I thought the look of the phone was impressive. Did the Razr win the top 10 best looking phone award? I wonder why Motorola quit selling them if millions were sold and Razr ranks number 2, after a Nokia phone in world wide sales.

I'm seriously considering a Razr to use for travel.

Message 11 of 46 (942 Views)
Expert

I know it's old-tech, but it's a sturdy phone made from mostly metal!  Mine has been dropped twice in about 6 years, but only the battery cover popped off.  And no data plan *required*!

I found several new ones online, and was going that route if I couldn't get mine fixed.  Sorry, but it's just a reliable phone with good battery life.

Moto has been in financial trouble for a while, IIRC. Smiley Sad  I think it is that most people want (think they need) a smartphone.

Message 12 of 46 (935 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

I have to agree with spd2demun, solid metal construction, great reception and reliable. Couldn't be happier with my phone. The only thing I can think of as to why Motorola stopped selling them was maybe they felt there was no market for them in a smartphone world. Although Motorola did release the RAZR3 in Korea. [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 13 of 46 (930 Views)
Guru

spd2demun wrote:

I know it's old-tech, but it's a sturdy phone made from mostly metal!  Mine has been dropped twice in about 6 years, but only the battery cover popped off.  And no data plan *required*!

I found several new ones online, and was going that route if I couldn't get mine fixed.  Sorry, but it's just a reliable phone with good battery life.

Moto has been in financial trouble for a while, IIRC. Smiley Sad  I think it is that most people want (think they need) a smartphone.

Spd2demun, I was able to get my hands on an extra V9x, so if the one I'm using meets an untimely end I am covered.Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 46 (923 Views)
Expert

Smiley Very Happy  I guess we look like a sad lot!

Message 15 of 46 (921 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.