Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 1, 2012
7:28:27 AM
Google Wallet on an AT&T supported phone?
Edited by UnusualSuspect on May 1, 2012 at 7:46:40 AM

In general:  Does AT&T sell a phone that supports Google Wallet?

Or, more specifically:  It's my understanding that my SGH-I777 has NFC hardware but that AT&T chose not to enable it.  Are there any rumors about enabling it via an ICS stock ROM?  Is that even possible?

Or, more specifically:  It's my understanding that my SGH-I777 has NFC hardware but that AT&T chose not to enable it.  Are there any rumors about enabling it via an ICS stock ROM?  Is that even possible?

Google Wallet on an AT&T supported phone?

[ Edited ]
4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 8:24:46 AM
(0)
Guru

UnusualSuspect wrote:

Nope.  It's possible to enable NFC on Gingerbread and also in Cyanogenmod 9, however no one has managed to get Wallet to work, only "other" NFC stuff.  In fact, installing GW on CM9 on my I777 hosed up NFC such that it didn't work at all until I uninstalled and rebooted.

The UCLD3 leak also has some degree of NFC functionality, but I don't believe Wallet is working, and UCLD3 offers nothing else of value - broken tethering and a kernel with a dangerous bug that can permanently damage the eMMC storage device of your phone.  (Same bug that has been plaguing ICS leaks for the Epic 4G Touch and international Galaxy Note, along with the SHW-M250S/K/L official releases and source code.  Only the GT-I9100 ICS leaks and I9100 Update4 source code seem safe.)

UnusualSuspect wrote:

Nope.  It's possible to enable NFC on Gingerbread and also in Cyanogenmod 9, however no one has managed to get Wallet to work, only "other" NFC stuff.  In fact, installing GW on CM9 on my I777 hosed up NFC such that it didn't work at all until I uninstalled and rebooted.

The UCLD3 leak also has some degree of NFC functionality, but I don't believe Wallet is working, and UCLD3 offers nothing else of value - broken tethering and a kernel with a dangerous bug that can permanently damage the eMMC storage device of your phone.  (Same bug that has been plaguing ICS leaks for the Epic 4G Touch and international Galaxy Note, along with the SHW-M250S/K/L official releases and source code.  Only the GT-I9100 ICS leaks and I9100 Update4 source code seem safe.)

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

Re: Google Wallet on an AT&T supported phone?

2 of 5 (2,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 8:46:44 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by UnusualSuspect on May 1, 2012 at 9:15:46 AM

Okay.  My main phone is now an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus (I9250), with the I777 as my "drop-back" phone.  Google Wallet for the Nexus phones is now available via Google Play. It's also now included in one of the Google ICS factory images (takju ... my phone is yakju IMM76I).

I'm thinking I might take it for a test drive on the I9250. Google pre-loads it with $10 when you activate it, and I understand it really freaks out the clerk at the cash register.  Smiley Very Happy

I'm sure that AT&T has folks hard at work figuring out how to get their hands on a transaction fee in any tap-to-pay solution they may eventually deliver...

Okay.  My main phone is now an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus (I9250), with the I777 as my "drop-back" phone.  Google Wallet for the Nexus phones is now available via Google Play. It's also now included in one of the Google ICS factory images (takju ... my phone is yakju IMM76I).

I'm thinking I might take it for a test drive on the I9250. Google pre-loads it with $10 when you activate it, and I understand it really freaks out the clerk at the cash register.  Smiley Very Happy

I'm sure that AT&T has folks hard at work figuring out how to get their hands on a transaction fee in any tap-to-pay solution they may eventually deliver...

[ Edited ]
3 of 5 (2,000 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 8:21:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Using Google Wallet on your Galaxy Nexus is the best way to try it right now.  Google has to authorize the app to work on specific phones so even if you got Google Wallet on your Samsung I777, Google Wallet would probably give you an "unsupported" error message once you opened it.

I have Google Wallet on my international One X, but it doesn't work, as Google hasn't added that device to their list of supported devices yet.

Some clerks are amazed with it.  Sometimes, I use it so fast (on my Nexus) that many don't even notice how I paid.

Using Google Wallet on your Galaxy Nexus is the best way to try it right now.  Google has to authorize the app to work on specific phones so even if you got Google Wallet on your Samsung I777, Google Wallet would probably give you an "unsupported" error message once you opened it.

I have Google Wallet on my international One X, but it doesn't work, as Google hasn't added that device to their list of supported devices yet.

Some clerks are amazed with it.  Sometimes, I use it so fast (on my Nexus) that many don't even notice how I paid.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (1,957 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2012 7:42:58 AM
(0)
Guru

21stNow wrote:

I can confirm that this is exactly what Wallet on the I777 does when installed on CM9.

21stNow wrote:

I can confirm that this is exactly what Wallet on the I777 does when installed on CM9.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

5 of 5 (1,938 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments