Helpful Links

Google Voice on iPhone

Professor

Google Voice on iPhone

Now that Apple has relaxed it App Store rules, it's nice to see the first GV app popping up. Downloaded it, and it works like a charm.

Message 1 of 28
Scholar

Re: Google Voice on iPhone

I purchased it too, and yes, it works -- but I don't really see the benefit over the web app, which also 'works like a charm'...

Message 2 of 28
Professor

The main difference is access to your iphone's contact lists and much faster of course
Message 3 of 28
Mentor

Is still uses your monthly minutes though correct?

Message 4 of 28
Professor

Correct
Message 5 of 28
Scholar

guandalf wrote:
The main difference is access to your iphone's contact lists and much faster of course

Hmmm...  As I ActiveSync my contact list with my Gmail account, which uses the same contact list as Google Voice, it's the same addressbook anyway, and I don't see where it works any faster -- just a local app as opposed to a web one, both work at the same speed and both require an internet connection...  Thanks though Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 28
Professor

Actually if you purchase gv mobile which just came out a few minutes ago, you have the option for off line dialing which doesn't need an Internet connectionSmiley Wink. If you want to stick with a web app i would voice central instead of googlr's web app.
Message 7 of 28
Scholar

You'd need internet connectivity to have the call show up as being from your Google Voice number regardless of the app used.  You need a data connection of some sort to use any and all aspects of Google Voice.  I'm not saying the apps are by any means bad, you just haven't provided any valid reasons why they're better then using the web app provided by Google.

Not sure how you think it doesn't need an internet connection, you must not have actually read the product description:

"GV Mobile+ initiates a secure connection with Google and sends commands to do various tasks (call, send sms, etc).

GV Mobile+ communictates with Google and no one else.

Please note that GV Mobile+ relies heavily on the use of a data connection (3G, EDGE, WiFi, etc).  If your data connection is weak, this app may not function properly.  By using GV Mobile+, you understand that I am not liable for the data charges you may incur.  Any drastic changes on Google's end my make GV Mobile+ inoperable.  GV Mobile + is not a product of Google"

Message 8 of 28
Professor

This is why they have the OFFLINE feature. For those time without an Internet connection. Just like you would use gv from a land line.
Message 9 of 28
Professor

Here is the developer's own words. Just asked him on twitter " It will dial your GV number first and then transmit the number you want to call over the phone instead of using Wifi/3G."
Message 10 of 28
Scholar

It's not possible to initiate a VOIP call with Google Voice in any way from an iPhone, whether it's the web app or either of the recently released apps.  They all work via your iPhones voice connection.  Someone needs to do their homework Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 28
Professor

Where do you see the word voip? Google voice does not support voip. Actually it does within gmail only
Message 12 of 28
Scholar

You need to study up on how Google Voice works.  Start with the basics.  Use of Google Voice requires a data connection.

Message 13 of 28
Professor

Really? Call your google voice from your land line. Then press # and your pin number and dial in any number you want. Where is an Internet connection involved here?
Message 14 of 28
Scholar

If you were to do that from your iPhone, you would in fact be paying for the call twice.  Once using your AT&T minutes to place the call to Google Voice, and then again using the paid-minutes of Google Voice for calls placed this way.  Why on earth would you recommend to unsuspecting users that they pay 2 services to make 1 call?

guandalf wrote:
Really? Call your google voice from your land line. Then press # and your pin number and dial in any number you want. Where is an Internet connection involved here?

Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support