Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 18, 2010
11:26:50 AM
View profile
Google Voice on iPhone

Now that Apple has relaxed it App Store rules, it's nice to see the first GV app popping up. Downloaded it, and it works like a charm.

Now that Apple has relaxed it App Store rules, it's nice to see the first GV app popping up. Downloaded it, and it works like a charm.

Google Voice on iPhone

27 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 7:44:56 PM
(0)
Scholar

I purchased it too, and yes, it works -- but I don't really see the benefit over the web app, which also 'works like a charm'...

I purchased it too, and yes, it works -- but I don't really see the benefit over the web app, which also 'works like a charm'...

Re: Google Voice on iPhone

2 of 28 (3,881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 8:18:03 PM
(0)
Professor
The main difference is access to your iphone's contact lists and much faster of course
The main difference is access to your iphone's contact lists and much faster of course

3 of 28 (3,871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 8:31:44 PM
(0)
Mentor

Is still uses your monthly minutes though correct?

Is still uses your monthly minutes though correct?

4 of 28 (3,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 8:42:41 PM
(0)
Professor
Correct
Correct

5 of 28 (3,855 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 9:24:19 PM
(0)
Scholar

guandalf wrote:

Hmmm...  As I ActiveSync my contact list with my Gmail account, which uses the same contact list as Google Voice, it's the same addressbook anyway, and I don't see where it works any faster -- just a local app as opposed to a web one, both work at the same speed and both require an internet connection...  Thanks though Smiley Wink

guandalf wrote:

Hmmm...  As I ActiveSync my contact list with my Gmail account, which uses the same contact list as Google Voice, it's the same addressbook anyway, and I don't see where it works any faster -- just a local app as opposed to a web one, both work at the same speed and both require an internet connection...  Thanks though Smiley Wink

6 of 28 (3,834 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 9:28:05 PM
(0)
Professor
Actually if you purchase gv mobile which just came out a few minutes ago, you have the option for off line dialing which doesn't need an Internet connectionSmiley Wink. If you want to stick with a web app i would voice central instead of googlr's web app.
Actually if you purchase gv mobile which just came out a few minutes ago, you have the option for off line dialing which doesn't need an Internet connectionSmiley Wink. If you want to stick with a web app i would voice central instead of googlr's web app.

7 of 28 (3,828 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 9:58:10 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by benjitek on Sep 18, 2010 at 10:08:38 PM

You'd need internet connectivity to have the call show up as being from your Google Voice number regardless of the app used.  You need a data connection of some sort to use any and all aspects of Google Voice.  I'm not saying the apps are by any means bad, you just haven't provided any valid reasons why they're better then using the web app provided by Google.

Not sure how you think it doesn't need an internet connection, you must not have actually read the product description:

"GV Mobile+ initiates a secure connection with Google and sends commands to do various tasks (call, send sms, etc).

GV Mobile+ communictates with Google and no one else.

Please note that GV Mobile+ relies heavily on the use of a data connection (3G, EDGE, WiFi, etc).  If your data connection is weak, this app may not function properly.  By using GV Mobile+, you understand that I am not liable for the data charges you may incur.  Any drastic changes on Google's end my make GV Mobile+ inoperable.  GV Mobile + is not a product of Google"

You'd need internet connectivity to have the call show up as being from your Google Voice number regardless of the app used.  You need a data connection of some sort to use any and all aspects of Google Voice.  I'm not saying the apps are by any means bad, you just haven't provided any valid reasons why they're better then using the web app provided by Google.

Not sure how you think it doesn't need an internet connection, you must not have actually read the product description:

"GV Mobile+ initiates a secure connection with Google and sends commands to do various tasks (call, send sms, etc).

GV Mobile+ communictates with Google and no one else.

Please note that GV Mobile+ relies heavily on the use of a data connection (3G, EDGE, WiFi, etc).  If your data connection is weak, this app may not function properly.  By using GV Mobile+, you understand that I am not liable for the data charges you may incur.  Any drastic changes on Google's end my make GV Mobile+ inoperable.  GV Mobile + is not a product of Google"

[ Edited ]
8 of 28 (3,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 10:09:30 PM
(0)
Professor
This is why they have the OFFLINE feature. For those time without an Internet connection. Just like you would use gv from a land line.
This is why they have the OFFLINE feature. For those time without an Internet connection. Just like you would use gv from a land line.

9 of 28 (3,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 10:14:05 PM
(0)
Professor
Here is the developer's own words. Just asked him on twitter " It will dial your GV number first and then transmit the number you want to call over the phone instead of using Wifi/3G."
Here is the developer's own words. Just asked him on twitter " It will dial your GV number first and then transmit the number you want to call over the phone instead of using Wifi/3G."

10 of 28 (3,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 10:27:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

It's not possible to initiate a VOIP call with Google Voice in any way from an iPhone, whether it's the web app or either of the recently released apps.  They all work via your iPhones voice connection.  Someone needs to do their homework Smiley Wink

It's not possible to initiate a VOIP call with Google Voice in any way from an iPhone, whether it's the web app or either of the recently released apps.  They all work via your iPhones voice connection.  Someone needs to do their homework Smiley Wink

11 of 28 (3,652 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 10:29:23 PM
(0)
Professor
Where do you see the word voip? Google voice does not support voip. Actually it does within gmail only
Where do you see the word voip? Google voice does not support voip. Actually it does within gmail only

12 of 28 (3,647 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 10:33:05 PM
(0)
Scholar

You need to study up on how Google Voice works.  Start with the basics.  Use of Google Voice requires a data connection.

You need to study up on how Google Voice works.  Start with the basics.  Use of Google Voice requires a data connection.

13 of 28 (3,642 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 10:46:49 PM
(0)
Professor
Really? Call your google voice from your land line. Then press # and your pin number and dial in any number you want. Where is an Internet connection involved here?
Really? Call your google voice from your land line. Then press # and your pin number and dial in any number you want. Where is an Internet connection involved here?

14 of 28 (3,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 11:15:48 PM
(0)
Scholar

If you were to do that from your iPhone, you would in fact be paying for the call twice.  Once using your AT&T minutes to place the call to Google Voice, and then again using the paid-minutes of Google Voice for calls placed this way.  Why on earth would you recommend to unsuspecting users that they pay 2 services to make 1 call?

guandalf wrote:

If you were to do that from your iPhone, you would in fact be paying for the call twice.  Once using your AT&T minutes to place the call to Google Voice, and then again using the paid-minutes of Google Voice for calls placed this way.  Why on earth would you recommend to unsuspecting users that they pay 2 services to make 1 call?

guandalf wrote:

15 of 28 (3,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 11:38:19 PM
(0)
Professor

benjitek wrote:

guandalf wrote:

Paid minutes of Google Voice? Google Voice is free, unless you call overseas.

benjitek wrote:

guandalf wrote:

16 of 28 (3,621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 1:33:02 AM
(0)
Scholar

guandalf wrote: 

Wow... that's something I didn't know.  Way back when I set up my GV account, it gave me a .10 credit, so I assumed if you dialed in directly that's when you paid.  I just took a look at their international rates, and they're a LOT lower than AT&T's -- no wonder they didn't want those apps available.  I also noticed calls to Canada are free along with the domestic ones you mentioned.  And all this without the monthly surcharges for AT&T international calling: http://www.google.com/voice/rates

These apps are starting to make more sense now, I wish I'd bought that 2nd one instead of the 1st, as I'm unable to find the ability to dial in to make calls with that one.

I host my personal domain email with Google Apps and Google Voice integration is currently in beta, I signed up and it's working quite well.  Previously, GV was separate with it's own addressbook -- now that it's all integrated and using 1 addressbook I'm suddenly finding more use for it.  I do however prefer YouMail.com as my voicemail, primarily because of the SmartGreeting feature.  With luck they'll gobble up that company and integrate it's features into GV Smiley Wink

guandalf wrote: 

Wow... that's something I didn't know.  Way back when I set up my GV account, it gave me a .10 credit, so I assumed if you dialed in directly that's when you paid.  I just took a look at their international rates, and they're a LOT lower than AT&T's -- no wonder they didn't want those apps available.  I also noticed calls to Canada are free along with the domestic ones you mentioned.  And all this without the monthly surcharges for AT&T international calling: http://www.google.com/voice/rates

These apps are starting to make more sense now, I wish I'd bought that 2nd one instead of the 1st, as I'm unable to find the ability to dial in to make calls with that one.

I host my personal domain email with Google Apps and Google Voice integration is currently in beta, I signed up and it's working quite well.  Previously, GV was separate with it's own addressbook -- now that it's all integrated and using 1 addressbook I'm suddenly finding more use for it.  I do however prefer YouMail.com as my voicemail, primarily because of the SmartGreeting feature.  With luck they'll gobble up that company and integrate it's features into GV Smiley Wink

17 of 28 (3,609 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 1:45:18 AM
(0)
Mentor

I won't be using it until we can get VOIP and it doesn't cost me my minutes. For those with the "A-list" you could make your GV number one of your A list numbers and then it wouldn't cost you any minutes. Our plan doesn't have enough minutes to qualify for the A-list.

I won't be using it until we can get VOIP and it doesn't cost me my minutes. For those with the "A-list" you could make your GV number one of your A list numbers and then it wouldn't cost you any minutes. Our plan doesn't have enough minutes to qualify for the A-list.

18 of 28 (3,606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 1:55:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

MC_Hammer wrote:

Makes sense to me -- there are rare occasions when I need to make international calls, and a little more often, calls to Canada.  I don't have a landline, so a few of those calls will easily offset the cost of these apps.  I expect the service may eventually develop into something I'd use more often, but for now it's more of a nice-to-have option.  As I got in early on in the beta, I have a slick number -- would be nice to someday use it as my primary one.

MC_Hammer wrote:

Makes sense to me -- there are rare occasions when I need to make international calls, and a little more often, calls to Canada.  I don't have a landline, so a few of those calls will easily offset the cost of these apps.  I expect the service may eventually develop into something I'd use more often, but for now it's more of a nice-to-have option.  As I got in early on in the beta, I have a slick number -- would be nice to someday use it as my primary one.

19 of 28 (3,604 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 9:54:09 AM
(0)
Guru

I've been using GVMobile for months and really like it.  I'm really glad to Sean Kovacs finally got it approved for distribution in the iPhone App store.  Let me offer a few observations why I'd recommend it:

1.  Sean is promising Push Notification very soon which will be great.  I use it to text people from outside the US, in the Sky, etc.

2. You can get push notification right now if you install the Growl app which enables push notification for a number of apps which don't natively support it.  It takes a little work, but if you are at all technical, you can get the job done in 20 minutes;

3. I give my Google Voice number out as my cell to clients and use it like a free version of Line2.  I can shut it off on weekends (sending all calls to voicemail), send pests to voicemail all the time (just program their number in Google Voice's website for special treatment), screen calls, etc..  Unlike other call forwarding arrangements, if the client texts me I get the text;

4. You can call Canada for free over Google Voice.  You pay minutes for a US call and it sends the call to Canada for free;

5.   You can have a virtual number in a different area code which is great for a college student, etc.  A friend of mine who is in the military uses it as virtual cell phone number dumping voicemails to emails when he is abroad and forwarding it to a prepaid sim he buys for return visits to the US.  Once he is back stateside, he will permanently map that number to his cell;

6.    Sean promises to support Google's VOIP, but has not set a specific date. 

7.   Google has cheap international calling rates

I've been using GVMobile for months and really like it.  I'm really glad to Sean Kovacs finally got it approved for distribution in the iPhone App store.  Let me offer a few observations why I'd recommend it:

1.  Sean is promising Push Notification very soon which will be great.  I use it to text people from outside the US, in the Sky, etc.

2. You can get push notification right now if you install the Growl app which enables push notification for a number of apps which don't natively support it.  It takes a little work, but if you are at all technical, you can get the job done in 20 minutes;

3. I give my Google Voice number out as my cell to clients and use it like a free version of Line2.  I can shut it off on weekends (sending all calls to voicemail), send pests to voicemail all the time (just program their number in Google Voice's website for special treatment), screen calls, etc..  Unlike other call forwarding arrangements, if the client texts me I get the text;

4. You can call Canada for free over Google Voice.  You pay minutes for a US call and it sends the call to Canada for free;

5.   You can have a virtual number in a different area code which is great for a college student, etc.  A friend of mine who is in the military uses it as virtual cell phone number dumping voicemails to emails when he is abroad and forwarding it to a prepaid sim he buys for return visits to the US.  Once he is back stateside, he will permanently map that number to his cell;

6.    Sean promises to support Google's VOIP, but has not set a specific date. 

7.   Google has cheap international calling rates

20 of 28 (3,560 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 10:09:51 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by tonester on Sep 19, 2010 at 10:10:42 AM

Granted that the main topic of this thread is about how to best be able to use Google Voice on an iPhone, but let's point out some stuff here so that there is no confusion about Google Voice itself:

1) Google Voice does not absolutely require a data connection in order to use its main feature, which is to make free domestic calls within the U.S.; yes, you would technically need a data connection if you wish to configure/customize GV, and/or to create custom contact lists...but as far as being able to dial a number from GV--no data connection is absolutely required--not unless you wish to nitpick and argue that a hardwired landline phone uses data...but at that point we could just be arguing semantics.

2) Neither of the two most-popular Google Voice apps currently available in the iTunes Store are actually offered by Google--both are third-party apps.  Of these two--GV Mobile + and GV Connect--I've personally used GV Mobile (both the regular version--which was free, and the "+" version--which isn't) back when it was available as a Cydia app and liked it a lot, so I'm partial to it, if only because I've yet to try GV Connect--after all, it was released on 9/17.  Based on the review count and number of ratings as of 9/19, GV Connect seems to be the more popular of the two, but GV Mobile + has garnered higher ratings (avg. 4 stars vs. 3 for GV Connect).

3) As most of you are aware, Google Voice has never (or, has yet) been advertised to be a VoIP solution, so to insinuate that because it's not very useful due to the lack of VoIP not allowing you to use it to make free unlimited calls from your iPhone (of course, you'd have to use the iPhone's Wifi radio in order to make free unlimited calls from it...not unless you have unlimited minutes on your wireless phone plan) is not giving GV enough credit as a useful feature.  I use GV to make unlimited domestic calls within the U.S. from my home landline phone--all at no additional charge; what this means is that I no longer need to subscribe to a domestic long distance phone plan on my landline phone account, plus I could theoretically subscribe to just the cheapest basic phone service (free local calls only)...thus saving quite a bit of money on my landline phone bill--and yes, AT&T would probably not view me as one of the their more-profitable residential landline customers.  Yes, you could argue that I should just get rid of my landline and rely solely on my wireless phone service but unlike many of you who may have gone that route, my reason for subscribing to wireless so wasn't so that it can supplement my landline service.

Granted that the main topic of this thread is about how to best be able to use Google Voice on an iPhone, but let's point out some stuff here so that there is no confusion about Google Voice itself:

1) Google Voice does not absolutely require a data connection in order to use its main feature, which is to make free domestic calls within the U.S.; yes, you would technically need a data connection if you wish to configure/customize GV, and/or to create custom contact lists...but as far as being able to dial a number from GV--no data connection is absolutely required--not unless you wish to nitpick and argue that a hardwired landline phone uses data...but at that point we could just be arguing semantics.

2) Neither of the two most-popular Google Voice apps currently available in the iTunes Store are actually offered by Google--both are third-party apps.  Of these two--GV Mobile + and GV Connect--I've personally used GV Mobile (both the regular version--which was free, and the "+" version--which isn't) back when it was available as a Cydia app and liked it a lot, so I'm partial to it, if only because I've yet to try GV Connect--after all, it was released on 9/17.  Based on the review count and number of ratings as of 9/19, GV Connect seems to be the more popular of the two, but GV Mobile + has garnered higher ratings (avg. 4 stars vs. 3 for GV Connect).

3) As most of you are aware, Google Voice has never (or, has yet) been advertised to be a VoIP solution, so to insinuate that because it's not very useful due to the lack of VoIP not allowing you to use it to make free unlimited calls from your iPhone (of course, you'd have to use the iPhone's Wifi radio in order to make free unlimited calls from it...not unless you have unlimited minutes on your wireless phone plan) is not giving GV enough credit as a useful feature.  I use GV to make unlimited domestic calls within the U.S. from my home landline phone--all at no additional charge; what this means is that I no longer need to subscribe to a domestic long distance phone plan on my landline phone account, plus I could theoretically subscribe to just the cheapest basic phone service (free local calls only)...thus saving quite a bit of money on my landline phone bill--and yes, AT&T would probably not view me as one of the their more-profitable residential landline customers.  Yes, you could argue that I should just get rid of my landline and rely solely on my wireless phone service but unlike many of you who may have gone that route, my reason for subscribing to wireless so wasn't so that it can supplement my landline service.

[ Edited ]
21 of 28 (3,573 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 11:08:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

Um... we know Smiley Wink

22 of 28 (3,557 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 11:13:17 AM
(0)
Guru

Google Voice is not current a VOIP solution.  Clearly, Google is moving in that direction with the purchase of Gizmo, the bringing of VOIP to its webmail products, etc.  If you want VOIP over 3g right now, I'm pretty sure that Vonage Mobile does VOIP over 3g.  You can buy a $5 card and it works fine.  Truphone is another option, but Vonage is cheaper.  If you already have VOIP, look at Acrobits which is a great VOIP over 3g client.  I've got it connected to my Asterisks server with the option G729 codec and have used it around the world.  

Google Voice is not current a VOIP solution.  Clearly, Google is moving in that direction with the purchase of Gizmo, the bringing of VOIP to its webmail products, etc.  If you want VOIP over 3g right now, I'm pretty sure that Vonage Mobile does VOIP over 3g.  You can buy a $5 card and it works fine.  Truphone is another option, but Vonage is cheaper.  If you already have VOIP, look at Acrobits which is a great VOIP over 3g client.  I've got it connected to my Asterisks server with the option G729 codec and have used it around the world.  

23 of 28 (3,556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 19, 2010 11:44:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

There are other topics about VOIP and the iPhone, do a search for more info Smiley Wink

There are other topics about VOIP and the iPhone, do a search for more info Smiley Wink

24 of 28 (3,543 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 6:31:54 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Sep 20, 2010 at 6:33:10 AM

guandalf wrote:

benjitek wrote:

Actually he might be referring to the iPhone call forwarding when you dial your number. On an incoming call if unanswered, it either goes through the AT&T voicemail (0 minutes involved) or if you setup call forwarding (2 minutes involved). If you have CF on, it's two minutes per voicemail.

guandalf wrote:

benjitek wrote:

Actually he might be referring to the iPhone call forwarding when you dial your number. On an incoming call if unanswered, it either goes through the AT&T voicemail (0 minutes involved) or if you setup call forwarding (2 minutes involved). If you have CF on, it's two minutes per voicemail.

[ Edited ]
25 of 28 (3,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 8:42:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

Nothing to do with what I was talking about, but thanks for stopping by Smiley Wink

Nothing to do with what I was talking about, but thanks for stopping by Smiley Wink

26 of 28 (3,448 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 1:30:04 PM
(0)
Guru

benjitek wrote:

Well that's great...but I'm sure my post will help those who might not know; heck--up until a few posts ago, YOU didn't even know that making calls through GV were free except if you were calling overseas...plus your statement about Google Voice requiring a data connection is partially incorrect--a data connection may/would be required to perform GV-related administrative tasks but for making calls through GV, such a connection is not required.

benjitek wrote:

Well that's great...but I'm sure my post will help those who might not know; heck--up until a few posts ago, YOU didn't even know that making calls through GV were free except if you were calling overseas...plus your statement about Google Voice requiring a data connection is partially incorrect--a data connection may/would be required to perform GV-related administrative tasks but for making calls through GV, such a connection is not required.

27 of 28 (3,413 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 1:39:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

tonester wrote:

[blah blah blah] ...heck--up until a few posts ago, YOU didn't even know that making calls through GV... [blah blah blah]

Right, then it was established -- no need for you to stop by and provide a review of things, but no biggie, perhaps it was to help yourself keep it all in order?  Not important, have a nice day Smiley Wink

tonester wrote:

[blah blah blah] ...heck--up until a few posts ago, YOU didn't even know that making calls through GV... [blah blah blah]

Right, then it was established -- no need for you to stop by and provide a review of things, but no biggie, perhaps it was to help yourself keep it all in order?  Not important, have a nice day Smiley Wink

28 of 28 (3,404 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments