Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 6, 2010
11:38:00 AM
Google Voice and HTC Aria

I'm trying to set up Google Voice on my HTC Aria phone for my voicemail. For some reason I keep getting an error message stating Google Voice can't change the phone's voicemail settings. I've tried manually entering the Google Voice fowarding number into the default AT&T voicemail settings but I can't access my messages through the Google Voice app. Does anyone know how to get Google Voice working on this phone?

I'm trying to set up Google Voice on my HTC Aria phone for my voicemail. For some reason I keep getting an error message stating Google Voice can't change the phone's voicemail settings. I've tried manually entering the Google Voice fowarding number into the default AT&T voicemail settings but I can't access my messages through the Google Voice app. Does anyone know how to get Google Voice working on this phone?

Google Voice and HTC Aria

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2010 12:34:26 PM
(0)
Scholar

Just ignore that warning, same thing happened to me but Google Voice has been running just fine collecting voicemails and sendings texts.

Just ignore that warning, same thing happened to me but Google Voice has been running just fine collecting voicemails and sendings texts.

Re: Google Voice and HTC Aria

2 of 6 (2,868 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2010 12:35:23 PM
(0)
Scholar

Also, do you have your settings on your google voice account set up to catch voicemail from your mobile number?  is your mobile number set up on google voice?  That would be a major cause for your error.

Also, do you have your settings on your google voice account set up to catch voicemail from your mobile number?  is your mobile number set up on google voice?  That would be a major cause for your error.

3 of 6 (2,864 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2010 11:49:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I followed the instructions that the Google Voice app made me go through to set up my mobile# for use with Google Voice. I was able to call my Google voicemail by holding down the 1 key and record a greeting so my mobile# must be set up with Google Voice. It would be nice to visually view my voicemail in Google Voice as this is the only reason I'm using it instead of AT&T's voicemail.

I followed the instructions that the Google Voice app made me go through to set up my mobile# for use with Google Voice. I was able to call my Google voicemail by holding down the 1 key and record a greeting so my mobile# must be set up with Google Voice. It would be nice to visually view my voicemail in Google Voice as this is the only reason I'm using it instead of AT&T's voicemail.

4 of 6 (2,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2010 5:52:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

you need to go to voice.Google.com and make sure and set up your number with the service.  The Google voice application for android is only a way to use it.  To set it up you HAVE to go to the website and set up your phone numbers with a verification code, which at that time you can set which numbers to ring, and when, and which voice mail service to use and other various settings.  Your phone number needs to be authenticated on the Google Voice Website before it'll work on an android device.  There are other services out there that will do just what you want, like Fusion Voice mail for Android (on the market), Google voice is way more powerful though and gives you the ability to use your cell phone like a voip on wifi networks and send text messages like data instead of messages, all this on top of reviving your voice mail visually.  If you only want visual voice mail, I might suggest using a different service.  Google Voice will set you up with a phone number that people can dial, called your Google voice number, at which point it will ring any phone number that is set up on your Google voice account at the same time, as you have set it respectively.  Just a suggestion however.

you need to go to voice.Google.com and make sure and set up your number with the service.  The Google voice application for android is only a way to use it.  To set it up you HAVE to go to the website and set up your phone numbers with a verification code, which at that time you can set which numbers to ring, and when, and which voice mail service to use and other various settings.  Your phone number needs to be authenticated on the Google Voice Website before it'll work on an android device.  There are other services out there that will do just what you want, like Fusion Voice mail for Android (on the market), Google voice is way more powerful though and gives you the ability to use your cell phone like a voip on wifi networks and send text messages like data instead of messages, all this on top of reviving your voice mail visually.  If you only want visual voice mail, I might suggest using a different service.  Google Voice will set you up with a phone number that people can dial, called your Google voice number, at which point it will ring any phone number that is set up on your Google voice account at the same time, as you have set it respectively.  Just a suggestion however.

5 of 6 (2,770 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 7, 2010 10:59:01 AM
(0)
Tutor

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to get a new phone# from Google for their Voice service. I'm using my existing AT&T phone#. I wasn't aware that it was necessary to go to Google's website, but I'll try it. I didn't have to do this when setting up a family member's AT&T Nexus One phone for voicemail on Google Voice. The entire setup and authentication process was done from the phone itself using the Google Voice app.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to get a new phone# from Google for their Voice service. I'm using my existing AT&T phone#. I wasn't aware that it was necessary to go to Google's website, but I'll try it. I didn't have to do this when setting up a family member's AT&T Nexus One phone for voicemail on Google Voice. The entire setup and authentication process was done from the phone itself using the Google Voice app.

6 of 6 (2,734 Views)