Helpful Links

Goodbye AT&T Gophone service

Contributor

Goodbye AT&T Gophone service

My phone has been swamped with incoming spam text messages costing me $0.20 a pop.  I have called customer service several times.  The first time, I was promised a credit to offset the charges but the credit was never applied.  My second two calls were a waste of time and an exercise in futility.  When I pointed out that the were service providers who offer lower per minute voice rates and free incoming texts, I was told that that was my decision to make.  So I have made it.  No more AT&T for me.  Anyone care to join me?

Message 1 of 26
Master

Re: Goodbye AT&T Gophone service

I don't disagree that things could be done differently. From a business economics standpoint though, it really makes more sense for the carriers to split the transaction and bill both parties. Price increases are more readily swallowed by the consumer and you have the ability for a larger total price increase if it's being shared by both parties, etc. The only real issue with the system is effectively dealing with the problem of spam text. It's only with prepaid service where at&t hasn't provided any option for eliminating it, which can certainly be called self serving. You are either charged for it (PPU) or they really *need* you to consume the messages due to rollover of unused allotments on the feature plans.

Call me crazy, but I guess I'm one of the few to not feel particularly perturbed at the $0.20/message PPU rate, regardless of the carrier's cost. Carriers are in business to make a profit, and as a low volume user I don't feel the charge is unreasonable. There are price discounted feature plans for higher volume users of messaging where paying the same rate per message would become unreasonable. 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 16 of 26
Guru

Is that SPAM texting a real serious issue? I may have gotten on or two in my time with AT&T.

Message 17 of 26
Master

Razr8 wrote:

Is that SPAM texting a real serious issue? I may have gotten on or two in my time with AT&T.

It hasn't been for me in all my years of service - on either of my accounts.  But I also do not give my cell phone number(s) to anyone beyond close friends.  I won't provide it to businesses, etc. unless there is a legitimate necessity for them to have it - so I am "different" in that many people use cell phones as their primary point of contact any more. (Most businesses look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I don't have a cell phone number where they can reach me - they'll have to leave a voice mail at home or contact me at work. lol.)

But I also think the issue may be more with spammers texting a random series of phone numbers.  Spam SMS that is sent to your phone from an e-mail address is manageable via at&t's messaging preferences (if it's even still functional), but I'm not certain that prepaid account holders can access it.  Just finding the web page is difficult - at&t doesn't really publicize it any longer, and it's a separate log in from OLAM, direct billing, etc.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 18 of 26
Master

Razr8 wrote:

It's funny, in reading some of these posts I never knew how low prepaid customers were on the totem pole. For example I have often wondered why post paid coverage was more expansive compared to prepaid, maybe AT&T figured that if prepaid had the same perks then maybe there'd be no incentive to go post paid. 

I think there is a component of it that certainly they feel if they offer too many perks on prepaid it cannibalizes their opportunity to obtain the annuity revenue stream of having someone choose post paid service instead.

But additionally, I think it's just a matter of you have to make service/cost compromises somewhere (not discussing the relative merits of carriers making a profit vs. how profitable they are, etc.).  Prepaid service is billed as being somewhat of a "value" offering - much like self-service gas pumps were before that became the norm, or discount/warehouse grocery stores where you do your own bagging/carry out, etc.  I mean think about it - with prepaid service you can now get the full blown all you can eat buffet (unlimited voice, text, data) with a non-smartphone for $50/month.  As an individual on post paid service you'd pay $100/month for the same thing.  And the least expensive plan you can get on prepaid service (besides PPU) is 250 minutes plus unlimited messaging for $25/month.  With post paid service as an individual, the least expensive "equivalent" plan you can get is $60/month ($40 voice, although it's for 450 minutes + unlimited messaging).  Of course if you are able/willing to participate in a family plan (and the risks that go along with that) you can get significant savings from those rates even with post paid service.

And prepaid customers do enjoy some benefits that aren't available to post paid customers, such as rollover on the unused feature plan allotments.  It's one reason why if the coverage of prepaid service meets your needs, prepaid service can be a much better way to go, esp. for an individual. 

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 19 of 26
Guru

Thanks hme83, informative as always. And I agree AT&T has a sort of blancing act between prepaid and post paid. Also prepaid definitely works for me, I am more than satisfied with my plan and service. 

Message 20 of 26
Guru

hme83 wrote:

Razr8 wrote:

It hasn't been for me in all my years of service - on either of my accounts.  But I also do not give my cell phone number(s) to anyone beyond close friends.  I won't provide it to businesses, etc. unless there is a legitimate necessity for them to have it - so I am "different" in that many people use cell phones as their primary point of contact any more. (Most businesses look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them I don't have a cell phone number where they can reach me - they'll have to leave a voice mail at home or contact me at work. lol.)

But I also think the issue may be more with spammers texting a random series of phone numbers.  Spam SMS that is sent to your phone from an e-mail address is manageable via at&t's messaging preferences (if it's even still functional), but I'm not certain that prepaid account holders can access it.  Just finding the web page is difficult - at&t doesn't really publicize it any longer, and it's a separate log in from OLAM, direct billing, etc.

You know I think I may have recieved one SPAM text once, but I replied with "STOP" and have gotten any since. And I'm the same as you hme83, in that I don't give out my number beyond what's necessary.

Message 21 of 26
Scholar

Razr8 wrote:

I don't really receive SPAM text. I think the risk is mostly if someone else has used the phone number before and you receive messages intended for the previous owner of the phone number. Had that happen with one of the new GoPhones I activated.

Message 22 of 26
Guru

hnzw_rui wrote:

Razr8 wrote:

I don't really receive SPAM text. I think the risk is mostly if someone else has used the phone number before and you receive messages intended for the previous owner of the phone number. Had that happen with one of the new GoPhones I activated.

I think I read somewhere on this forum another possible reason for SPAM text is when you download pics or ringtones from certain sites without reading the disclaimers that puts you in a position for SPAM.

Message 23 of 26
Scholar

Razr8 wrote:

I think I read somewhere on this forum another possible reason for SPAM text is when you download pics or ringtones from certain sites without reading the disclaimers that puts you in a position for SPAM.

Unfortunately, while I do find business practices like that atrocious, that's partly the user's fault as the user did solicit it in the first place. Personally, I steer clear of sites like those.

Message 24 of 26
Guru

Yeah, I agree, your pretty much tempting fate when you interact with certain sites. I avoid them as well.

Message 25 of 26
Highlighted
Professor

Razr8 wrote:

Yeah, I agree, your pretty much tempting fate when you interact with certain sites. I avoid them as well.

Me too.

Message 26 of 26
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support