Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 13, 2011
5:54:12 PM
View profile
Good ICS news for Galaxy S2 owners!!

Rumors and tipsters have Galaxy S2 owners for all carriers getting ICS in December... Whoo hoo Smiley Happy

ICS December release

Rumors and tipsters have Galaxy S2 owners for all carriers getting ICS in December... Whoo hoo Smiley Happy

ICS December release

Good ICS news for Galaxy S2 owners!!

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2011 6:44:16 PM
(0)
Master

pmt1209 wrote:

ICS December release

You may want to read that again. From the article: "As these take time to test, it’s likely the update in December will probably be only for owners of the unlocked version of the Samsung Galaxy S2." I would believe the unlocked international version would get it first of all the Samsung Galaxy SII models. It is questionable for the US variants. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it took six months or more.
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy

pmt1209 wrote:

ICS December release

You may want to read that again. From the article: "As these take time to test, it’s likely the update in December will probably be only for owners of the unlocked version of the Samsung Galaxy S2." I would believe the unlocked international version would get it first of all the Samsung Galaxy SII models. It is questionable for the US variants. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if it took six months or more.
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

Re: Good ICS news for Galaxy S2 owners!!

2 of 15 (4,740 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2011 7:56:44 PM
(0)
Scholar
Boooo pessimist lol.. I honestly don't think they'll drag their feet seeing the popularity of the GS2 not to mention sales for GS2 would get a second shot in the arm.
Boooo pessimist lol.. I honestly don't think they'll drag their feet seeing the popularity of the GS2 not to mention sales for GS2 would get a second shot in the arm.

3 of 15 (4,720 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 13, 2011 7:59:08 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by Entropy512 on Nov 13, 2011 at 8:01:10 PM

Yup.  Officially, the I777 will see it probably 6-9 months after the I9100 - just look at the Captivate vs. the I9000.

Unofficially - I'd guess a matter of a few weeks to 95% functionality to get ported from I9100 to I777.  Most likely barriers:

1)  Battery charger driver if not included in Samsung's kernel source drop

2)  Microphone noise reduction for outgoing audio on calls

(The above two are the only major differences between our devices in terms of compatibility that are not easy fixes.  At this point, I777 owners who are into running custom ROMs can get an I9100 ROM running on their phones just by flashing a small package in Clockworkmod Recovery, and everything but home button haptic and a few tiny other things work.)

Edit:  pmt1209, the I777 is not that popular, at least not when compared to the I9100.  As said before - just look at I9000 vs. Captivate.  Captivate started getting unofficial Gingerbread ports from the I9000 before Froyo was even officially released for it.  Also, this is AT&T - they ALWAYS drag their feet.

Yup.  Officially, the I777 will see it probably 6-9 months after the I9100 - just look at the Captivate vs. the I9000.

Unofficially - I'd guess a matter of a few weeks to 95% functionality to get ported from I9100 to I777.  Most likely barriers:

1)  Battery charger driver if not included in Samsung's kernel source drop

2)  Microphone noise reduction for outgoing audio on calls

(The above two are the only major differences between our devices in terms of compatibility that are not easy fixes.  At this point, I777 owners who are into running custom ROMs can get an I9100 ROM running on their phones just by flashing a small package in Clockworkmod Recovery, and everything but home button haptic and a few tiny other things work.)

Edit:  pmt1209, the I777 is not that popular, at least not when compared to the I9100.  As said before - just look at I9000 vs. Captivate.  Captivate started getting unofficial Gingerbread ports from the I9000 before Froyo was even officially released for it.  Also, this is AT&T - they ALWAYS drag their feet.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

[ Edited ]
4 of 15 (4,719 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2011 3:56:05 AM
(0)
Master
More like realist. After having various android phones across two carriers and reading some of the blog sites that follow android news, I never expect updates to come quickly only that they do come eventually. My current phone was recently updated from FroYo to Gingerbread. It took seven months from the phone's release date to getting the update. This was on a phone manufactured by one of the faster companies that update their devices. At the time of my phone's release, the rumors for the Gingerbread update was centered around the summer. Ha! Not! If you want to keep thinking that I am a pessimist, it is no skin off my back.
More like realist. After having various android phones across two carriers and reading some of the blog sites that follow android news, I never expect updates to come quickly only that they do come eventually. My current phone was recently updated from FroYo to Gingerbread. It took seven months from the phone's release date to getting the update. This was on a phone manufactured by one of the faster companies that update their devices. At the time of my phone's release, the rumors for the Gingerbread update was centered around the summer. Ha! Not! If you want to keep thinking that I am a pessimist, it is no skin off my back.

5 of 15 (4,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2011 5:00:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

AT&T not drag their feet? You're kidding I hope.

AT&T not drag their feet? You're kidding I hope.

6 of 15 (4,690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2011 7:09:38 AM
(0)
Master

It took Samsung at least 3 months to get first Gingerbread ROM for i9000 out for testing, not releasing. It took AT&T over 6 months now and still not releasing any Gingerbread ROMs for Captivate which was ready in the summer. There is no way we will see anything from Samsung about ICS this December even for unlocked i9100.

It took Samsung at least 3 months to get first Gingerbread ROM for i9000 out for testing, not releasing. It took AT&T over 6 months now and still not releasing any Gingerbread ROMs for Captivate which was ready in the summer. There is no way we will see anything from Samsung about ICS this December even for unlocked i9100.

7 of 15 (4,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 5:11:16 AM
(0)
Teacher
Samsung is not the problem... its ATT. Don't buy in to what their support team says, because they don't even know. The problem is that ATT is so busy trying to modify the code to block features so they can load their own bloatware to make an extra buck! So hear we are officially 3 OS versions behind. THANKS ATT, you SUCK!!!
Samsung is not the problem... its ATT. Don't buy in to what their support team says, because they don't even know. The problem is that ATT is so busy trying to modify the code to block features so they can load their own bloatware to make an extra buck! So hear we are officially 3 OS versions behind. THANKS ATT, you SUCK!!!

8 of 15 (4,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 6:57:26 AM
(0)
Guru

Yup.  AT&T is too busy adding spyware (Carrier IQ) to the Infuse Gingerbread release, that's why it's so far behind.

Yes, that's right - Froyo didn't have CIQ, Rogers GB had it but it was fairly noninvasive, CIQ for AT&T Gingerbread on Infuse is DEEPLY injected into the system - the bloat/spyware is all over.  It even phones home when you connect to a wifi access point.

Yup.  AT&T is too busy adding spyware (Carrier IQ) to the Infuse Gingerbread release, that's why it's so far behind.

Yes, that's right - Froyo didn't have CIQ, Rogers GB had it but it was fairly noninvasive, CIQ for AT&T Gingerbread on Infuse is DEEPLY injected into the system - the bloat/spyware is all over.  It even phones home when you connect to a wifi access point.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

9 of 15 (4,588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 2:47:32 PM
(0)
Scholar

Next question is  if we are looking at 6 months min. for  ICS to come from Samsung/AT&T how long before the guys at that "other" developers site has it ready for i777 owners?? Smiley Happy

Next question is  if we are looking at 6 months min. for  ICS to come from Samsung/AT&T how long before the guys at that "other" developers site has it ready for i777 owners?? Smiley Happy

10 of 15 (4,528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 4:41:58 PM
(0)
Master

I think there is already something floating around. How well they worked on our phone is another story. But personally, I will just wait for AT&T firmware leak that was specifically designed for i777. For example, we already have 2.3.6 leak that is quite release ready and a some what buggy 2.3.5 leak before that.

I think there is already something floating around. How well they worked on our phone is another story. But personally, I will just wait for AT&T firmware leak that was specifically designed for i777. For example, we already have 2.3.6 leak that is quite release ready and a some what buggy 2.3.5 leak before that.

11 of 15 (4,438 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 8:18:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

So, what's so great about ICS?

So, what's so great about ICS?

12 of 15 (4,427 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2011 8:45:08 PM
(0)
Mentor

I don't know what is so great about ICS.  I am really happy with the way my GS2 is now.  I really don't want to upgrade to the first release of ICS (4.0) that probably has a lot of bugs.

I don't know what is so great about ICS.  I am really happy with the way my GS2 is now.  I really don't want to upgrade to the first release of ICS (4.0) that probably has a lot of bugs.

13 of 15 (4,424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 3:38:24 AM
(0)
Master
Here is the video that introduced ICS and its features. See for yourself what improvements and changes that were made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts5WBm0tXzI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Here is the video that introduced ICS and its features. See for yourself what improvements and changes that were made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts5WBm0tXzI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

14 of 15 (4,410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2011 7:48:58 AM
(0)
Guru

pmt1209 wrote:

I already covered that above.  Smiley Happy

Not until the I9100 gets it - but hopefully fairly quickly afterwards.

pmt1209 wrote:

I already covered that above.  Smiley Happy

Not until the I9100 gets it - but hopefully fairly quickly afterwards.

15 of 15 (4,405 Views)