Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 29, 2009
8:05:35 PM
View profile
Going on Cruise to Mexico will I have service and will it cost me a arm and a leg?
Going on Cruise to Mexico will I have service and will it cost me a arm and a leg?

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2009 8:13:26 PM
(0)
Guru
Yes you will get service but make sure you ad international roaming to your account... If you wanna save $$$ you can ask ATT to unlock your phone and use local Pay As You Go SIM card to make calls. 
Yes you will get service but make sure you ad international roaming to your account... If you wanna save $$$ you can ask ATT to unlock your phone and use local Pay As You Go SIM card to make calls. 

Re: Going on Cruise to Mexico will I have service and will it cost me a arm and a leg?

2 of 9 (6,691 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2009 3:30:59 PM
(0)
Guru

I don't know your cruise, but when I took at cruise in 2005 it left Tampa and went down the Florida coast (cut across the Coast -- no coverage then, Cell-at-Sea nowadays) and had coverage along the Yucatan coastline.  I lost coverage at the Guatemalan border, and didn't get it back until the next day.  I had coverage in Belize.  Obviously something following the Pacific coast would be completely different.

You can usually buy Telecel SIMs off E-Bay fairly cheaply.  Stay away from the other carrier (Movistar).  While their prices are significantly cheaper, their coverage zones are much smaller.  

I don't know your cruise, but when I took at cruise in 2005 it left Tampa and went down the Florida coast (cut across the Coast -- no coverage then, Cell-at-Sea nowadays) and had coverage along the Yucatan coastline.  I lost coverage at the Guatemalan border, and didn't get it back until the next day.  I had coverage in Belize.  Obviously something following the Pacific coast would be completely different.

You can usually buy Telecel SIMs off E-Bay fairly cheaply.  Stay away from the other carrier (Movistar).  While their prices are significantly cheaper, their coverage zones are much smaller.  

Re: Going on Cruise to Mexico will I have service and will it cost me a arm and a leg?

3 of 9 (6,645 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2009 1:27:59 PM
(0)
Explorer
Most likely it will.  Most of the cruise lines set their own rates (most $2.49 per min but you should check with the cruise line directly to find out what their rates are) and there are no discounts available, so adding the international roaming feature will not help you at all
Most likely it will.  Most of the cruise lines set their own rates (most $2.49 per min but you should check with the cruise line directly to find out what their rates are) and there are no discounts available, so adding the international roaming feature will not help you at all

4 of 9 (6,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2009 7:38:34 PM
(0)
Scholar

CAknowitall wrote:

This. Even with World Traveler, which provides a discount to most countries, Cruises are not including in the plan. Cruise ships hate letting things off as cheap, and thus seem to refuse to sign a discounted plan with any wireless provider. For that matter, I wouldn't even have your phone on while NEAR the ship since you could accidentally attach to the ship's signal and then get forced to pay their price even though you are not on the ship

CAknowitall wrote:

This. Even with World Traveler, which provides a discount to most countries, Cruises are not including in the plan. Cruise ships hate letting things off as cheap, and thus seem to refuse to sign a discounted plan with any wireless provider. For that matter, I wouldn't even have your phone on while NEAR the ship since you could accidentally attach to the ship's signal and then get forced to pay their price even though you are not on the ship

5 of 9 (6,469 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2009 1:59:16 PM
(0)
Professor

Even with roaming and other various plans like world traveller that give you a discount, roaming is still very expensive and the best thing to do is purchase a local SIM as others suggested. You could change the voicemail on your phone saying you are away and leave the new international phone number for people to call you if they really need you.

Even with roaming and other various plans like world traveller that give you a discount, roaming is still very expensive and the best thing to do is purchase a local SIM as others suggested. You could change the voicemail on your phone saying you are away and leave the new international phone number for people to call you if they really need you.

6 of 9 (6,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2009 6:28:40 PM
(0)
Guru
Remember that you can do a manual network search and lock your phone on a carrier.  On some phones, you can also get into the roaming data base and delete cellular at sea.  I just finished a Baltic cruise and had some internet minutes that I didn't use.  (I bought 250 minutes for $65 from the cruise ship).  I tried a Magic Jack on the ship's internet and was surprised that the connection was acceptable.  
Remember that you can do a manual network search and lock your phone on a carrier.  On some phones, you can also get into the roaming data base and delete cellular at sea.  I just finished a Baltic cruise and had some internet minutes that I didn't use.  (I bought 250 minutes for $65 from the cruise ship).  I tried a Magic Jack on the ship's internet and was surprised that the connection was acceptable.  

7 of 9 (6,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2009 8:43:20 AM
(0)
Guru
Second that you need to make sure that you have data turned off on the phone.  I was recently on a cruise and made a mistake and turned it back on and spent $15 on data in 30 minutes.  It was my mistake.
Second that you need to make sure that you have data turned off on the phone.  I was recently on a cruise and made a mistake and turned it back on and spent $15 on data in 30 minutes.  It was my mistake.

8 of 9 (6,039 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2009 2:32:51 PM
(0)
Guru
Blackberry International includes cruise ship data (not voice) roaming, but you only connect at GPRS speeds.
Blackberry International includes cruise ship data (not voice) roaming, but you only connect at GPRS speeds.

9 of 9 (6,025 Views)