Helpful Links

GoPhone use in Paris France

Tutor

GoPhone use in Paris France

I want to use my GoPhone in France to send text messages to other Americans with GoPhones in France and French friends with their French Phones.

Any problems or advise I should know before going on my trip?

Message 1 of 12
Master

Re: GoPhone use in Paris France

GoPhone service doesn't allow for international roaming so unless you get your GoPhone subsidy unlocked (at&t may provide the code for you if you've been an active GoPhone customer for at least six months) and use a SIM card provided by a local provider while you are in France, you won't be able to use the GoPhone.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 12
ACE - Expert

hme83 wrote:

GoPhone service doesn't allow for international roaming so unless you get your GoPhone subsidy unlocked (at&t may provide the code for you if you've been an active GoPhone customer for at least six months) and use a SIM card provided by a local provider while you are in France, you won't be able to use the GoPhone.

And it may also be possible that the OP's GoPhone lacks one or both of European bands, so it may not work in France at all.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 12
Master

Good point - thank you.  Smiley Happy
                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 12
Tutor

Thank you for this information. The AT&T website was confusing.

Looks like I'll rent a phone in France during our trip.

Message 5 of 12
ACE - Expert

kgamble68 wrote:

Thank you for this information. The AT&T website was confusing.

Looks like I'll rent a phone in France during our trip.

What is your GoPhone make & model? Some phones are easy enough to unlock and it may be cheaper then to just buy a SIM card in France than to rent a phone.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 12
Tutor

My GoPhone is the Motorola c168i (850/1600).

I've read of some using a new SIM in the UK to get it working.

Any advise is appreciated.

Message 7 of 12
ACE - Expert

kgamble68 wrote:

My GoPhone is the Motorola c168i (850/1600).

I've read of some using a new SIM in the UK to get it working.

Any advise is appreciated.

Unfortunately, C168i will not work anywhere in Europe Smiley Sad While some modification could be possible to change it from 850/1900 to 900/1800 I wouldn't even bother — the procedure would have to be reversed for the phone to become usable in US after you return.

Message 8 of 12
Tutor

It was worth the thought. Thanks
Message 9 of 12
Tutor

Do you know which, if any, GoPhones work in France. I'm still interested in the SIM option and could upgrade.
Message 10 of 12
ACE - Expert

kgamble68 wrote:
Do you know which, if any, GoPhones work in France. I'm still interested in the SIM option and could upgrade.

Samsung A437 is the only one that I see on their website currently that can be unlocked for free (unless something has changed with later firmware) and is quad-band, so it'll work both here and there. Other than that, any quad-band phone they sell will work (check the specifications to see that the following four frequencies are listed: 850/900/1800/1900) and if your account is in good standing and has been active for more than 180 days AT&T will give you the unlock code for free.
Message 11 of 12
Professor

dmapr wrote:

kgamble68 wrote:

Samsung A437 is the only one that I see on their website currently that can be unlocked for free (unless something has changed with later firmware) and is quad-band, so it'll work both here and there. Other than that, any quad-band phone they sell will work (check the specifications to see that the following four frequencies are listed: 850/900/1800/1900) and if your account is in good standing and has been active for more than 180 days AT&T will give you the unlock code for free.

Good sugestion. My wife used a GoPhone A437 for a trip last year to Asia and later to South America with sims from local prepaid providers. The unlock process is easily found on the web and it takes less than a minute to do it (if, as you said, nothing has changed in the firmware that affects that).

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support