GoPhone surprises?

Professor

GoPhone surprises?

GoPhone advertising says, "No surprises...". Is that really true?

In these forums, I only saw nuisances like random $0.01 charge or $10 charge for text message received. That's insignificant compared to the $9000 surprise bill in the postpaid category, or someone getting a bill of $600 for international roaming while abroad.

Are GoPhones free of surprises? Can someone enlighten me.

Message 1 of 14 (502 Views)
Master

Re: GoPhone surprises?

ilikewireless wrote:

GoPhone advertising says, "No surprises...". Is that really true?

In these forums, I only saw nuisances like random $0.01 charge or $10 charge for text message received. That's insignificant compared to the $9000 surprise bill in the postpaid category, or someone getting a bill of $600 for international roaming while abroad.

Are GoPhones free of surprises? Can someone enlighten me.

Cost factor-wise, I would say yes, GoPhones are free of surprises. There is no credit check, signing a contract, activation fees, etc. The only surprise charges I have gotten without a notification are the $0.01 charges and the E911 fee I knew nothing about until earlier this month. Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 14 (500 Views)
Guru

It's always been my feeling that Go Phone is less of a hassle in terms of surprises than post paid. The only thing that I was not aware about is what Wild Banchi mentioned, the E911 fee, outside of that it's been one consistent shot.

Message 3 of 14 (496 Views)
Master

Depends on your perspective, I suppose. Smiley Happy

In all fairness to post paid service, I've never been "surprised" by charges there either.  You pay for your monthly service and feature packages in advance (similar to prepaid) - the only *potential* surprises are PPU fees, which is not substantially different than using PPU on a prepaid basis - the carrier just hasn't already had the use of your money in advance of your needing that particular service. Smiley Wink  Most people who are traveling internationally realize they aren't in the US any longer, and should be cognizant enough to realize that likely means additional/"different" cellular fees if they want to continue to use their at&t SIM.  (And of course GoPhones cannot roam internationally outside of Mexico, so that isn't really a valid comparison point anyway.)

All that said, the only "surprise" I've encountered with prepaid service is the noticeable lack of coverage in many areas I've traveled (compared side-by-side to that of at&t's post paid service).  And many prepaid users are "surprised" by the lack of customer support offered with at&t's prepaid service (compared to that for their post paid customers). 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 14 (488 Views)
Guru

Hme83, I have heard that before about prepaid lacking in customer service. Can you tell me in what way, because I haven't had any problems with customer support.

Message 5 of 14 (479 Views)
Professor

Hme83, on the gophone's lesser coverage, is that with your 3G phone?
Message 6 of 14 (476 Views)

[ Edited ]

ilikewireless wrote:

ilikewireless,

I do not want to highjack the thread, but it is me with the iPhone 3G, and not hme83.  (hme83 from his avatar has: Nokia E70, 6820; SE W518a, W580i).

And, no, ilikewirelss.  I have had no problem with data/talk coverage on my iPhone 3G (3G for data, no drops for talk), but I reside in Washington, DC.  And have yet to try the phone outside the DC area.

Also, I cannot speak to prepaid customer service as I am strictly DIY, and avoid dealing with their IVR system which forces shouts of  "Cancel Account!" to talk to a human *grin*.   I wish AT&T had a chat system, much like T-Mobile, but apparently prepaid lies at the bottom of their customer hierarchy.

Message 7 of 14 (464 Views)
Professor

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

ilikewireless,

I do not want to highjack the thread, but it is me with the iPhone 3G, and not hme83.  (hme83 from his avatar has: Nokia E70, 6820; SE W518a, W580i).

And, no, ilikewirelss.  I have had no problem with data/talk coverage on my iPhone 3G (3G for data, no drops for talk), but I reside in Washington, DC.  And have yet to try the phone outside the DC area.

Also, I cannot speak to prepaid customer service as I am strictly DIY, and avoid dealing with their IVR system which forces shouts of  "Cancel Account!" to talk to a human *grin*.   I wish AT&T had a chat system, much like T-Mobile, but apparently prepaid lies at the bottom of their customer hierarchy.

OnlytheShadowKnows, thank you for telling us about your experience.

Message 8 of 14 (460 Views)
Master

OnlytheShadowKnows wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

ilikewireless,

hme83's SE W518a is a 3G phone, if I remember correctly. I think I remember him saying that. An iPhone 3G is a 3G phone, too. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14 (452 Views)
Master

Razr8 wrote:

Hme83, I have heard that before about prepaid lacking in customer service. Can you tell me in what way, because I haven't had any problems with customer support.

It's not the CS reps themselves that are "lacking", but more of the options for support. For example, postpaid customers are eligible to send e-mails to AT&T by using the "Contact Us" link. Prepaid GoPhone customers cannot do this.

Also, it is much more difficult to get connected to a live chat rep compared to postpaid service. The IVR system sometimes does not understand things correctly, therefore making it more frustrating to just simply talk to customer service.

I know there are other ways of contacting AT&T that GoPhone customers are limited to, but I cannot seem to remember at this time.

Message 10 of 14 (450 Views)
Guru

I understand, thanks Wild Banchi.

Message 11 of 14 (418 Views)
Professor

Folks,

Is that all, what about account security?

Thanks.

Message 12 of 14 (406 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

ilikewireless wrote:

Folks,

Thanks.

I'm not aware of any differences in terms of on-line account security if that's what you mean. 

And yes, my SE W518a is a 3G device.  No matter what device I am using, the coverage with at&t's prepaid service is more limited in many of the areas of the country that I tend to frequent than it is with at&t's post paid service.

Correct - it's not the prepaid customer service representatives that I meant were lacking - the options for obtaining customer support are very limited for prepaid customers compared to that of post paid customers.  Post paid customers can e-mail customer service from within their on-liine account; and post paid customers have access to on-line technical support via a chat function; prepaid customers are not able to obtain technical support via chat.  Not to mention the fact that at&t intentionally makes it pretty obscure for a new user of the prepaid IVR system to figure out how to reach a live representative.  It's much more apparent with the post paid automated system - one or two menu selections and you are automatically connected to live support without having to know to actually request it.  They even tell you what the call hold times are like for obtaining live assistance at the beginning of the call.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 13 of 14 (401 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

hme83 wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

Folks,

Thanks.

I'm not aware of any differences in terms of on-line account security if that's what you mean. 

And yes, my SE W518a is a 3G device.  No matter what device I am using, the coverage with at&t's prepaid service is more limited in many of the areas of the country that I tend to frequent than it is with at&t's post paid service.

Correct - it's not the prepaid customer service representatives that I meant were lacking - the options for obtaining customer support are very limited for prepaid customers compared to that of post paid customers.  Post paid customers can e-mail customer service from within their on-liine account; and post paid customers have access to on-line technical support via a chat function; prepaid customers are not able to obtain technical support via chat.  Not to mention the fact that at&t intentionally makes it pretty obscure for a new user of the prepaid IVR system to figure out how to reach a live representative.  It's much more apparent with the post paid automated system - one or two menu selections and you are automatically connected to live support without having to know to actually request it.  They even tell you what the call hold times are like for obtaining live assistance at the beginning of the call.

There probably isn't any difference in vulnerability. But there may be a difference in consequences by virtue of being prepaid.

Message 14 of 14 (397 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.