Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 25, 2012
8:34:38 PM
GoPhone Sim with off contract Captivate?

I have an AT&T Go Phone (samsung SGH-a107) on which I buy the $50/mo unlimited talk.data on. I received an off-contract AT&T Captivate frmo a friend and SIM unlocked it then attempted to use my activated GoPhone sim in the Captivate, however the captivate doesn't seem to recognize the GoPhone sim card, displaying a message saying 'Check Sim Card' when the unit boots. Sim obviously works fine in the GoPhone and since they are both AT&T, I thought it would work.

Is this possible? Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Captivate works with other AT&T sim cards as does the GoPhone. So what gives with the GoPhone sim?

Any help would be appreciated. 

-Maj

I have an AT&T Go Phone (samsung SGH-a107) on which I buy the $50/mo unlimited talk.data on. I received an off-contract AT&T Captivate frmo a friend and SIM unlocked it then attempted to use my activated GoPhone sim in the Captivate, however the captivate doesn't seem to recognize the GoPhone sim card, displaying a message saying 'Check Sim Card' when the unit boots. Sim obviously works fine in the GoPhone and since they are both AT&T, I thought it would work.

Is this possible? Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Captivate works with other AT&T sim cards as does the GoPhone. So what gives with the GoPhone sim?

Any help would be appreciated. 

-Maj

GoPhone Sim with off contract Captivate?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2012 7:13:26 AM
(0)
Scholar

The GoPhone SIM is likely locked to the original device (SGH-a107). Call AT&T customer service to have it unlocked. Use your landline or another cellphone to call customer service since they're going to ask you to turn off the phones and switch SIM cards.

The GoPhone SIM is likely locked to the original device (SGH-a107). Call AT&T customer service to have it unlocked. Use your landline or another cellphone to call customer service since they're going to ask you to turn off the phones and switch SIM cards.

Re: GoPhone Sim with off contract Captivate?

2 of 6 (539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 2:49:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah, I tried that. They said no. They said that they would not unlock it for 6 months so not sure if there are any other options.

Yeah, I tried that. They said no. They said that they would not unlock it for 6 months so not sure if there are any other options.

3 of 6 (522 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 6:31:47 PM
(0)
Tutor

Go to AT&T store and get a new sim card and have them switch the sim card in the store. it should work.

Majestyk wrote:

Go to AT&T store and get a new sim card and have them switch the sim card in the store. it should work.

Majestyk wrote:

4 of 6 (514 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2012 10:58:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK I will give that a try. Do I have to tell them I will be using it in the Captivate instead? And I assume they will charge the mandatory $20 bucks for the new sim.

OK I will give that a try. Do I have to tell them I will be using it in the Captivate instead? And I assume they will charge the mandatory $20 bucks for the new sim.

5 of 6 (507 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2012 9:01:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

Majestyk wrote:

The sim card should be free, no charge. just tell them that u just need a replacement sim card. no need to mention anything abt the Captivate

Majestyk wrote:

The sim card should be free, no charge. just tell them that u just need a replacement sim card. no need to mention anything abt the Captivate

6 of 6 (495 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments