Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 21, 2011
6:35:01 PM
GoPhone SIM card questions

Hi guys, I'm considering being a GoPhone subscriber!

But first of all, I need a bit of help.

1. I'm thinking about buying this phone or just any quad-band phone. Is that okay for use with AT&T?

2. Can I get a GoPhone SIM at an AT&T Corporate store? How much will it cost?

3. If I get a GoPhone SIM on Amazon, how do I activate that? Is buying a GoPhone SIM on Amazon safe?

really need some answers ASAP guys! I need this phone in time for the summer session at college Smiley Indifferent

1. I'm thinking about buying this phone or just any quad-band phone. Is that okay for use with AT&T?

3. If I get a GoPhone SIM on Amazon, how do I activate that? Is buying a GoPhone SIM on Amazon safe?

really need some answers ASAP guys! I need this phone in time for the summer session at college Smiley Indifferent

GoPhone SIM card questions

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 9:12:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

bayewulf wrote:

1. Yes, it's OK. Any unlocked quad-band GSM phone is OK, but you may benefit from getting one that also supports 850/1900MHz 3G
  2. Yes, you can. If you add a $25 or more credit you're likely to get the SIM for free.
  3. It's probably easier to just do it at the store, especially since most likely it won't cost you anything for the SIM and you can make sure you're leaving the store with a functioning phone & SIM.

bayewulf wrote:

1. Yes, it's OK. Any unlocked quad-band GSM phone is OK, but you may benefit from getting one that also supports 850/1900MHz 3G
  2. Yes, you can. If you add a $25 or more credit you're likely to get the SIM for free.
  3. It's probably easier to just do it at the store, especially since most likely it won't cost you anything for the SIM and you can make sure you're leaving the store with a functioning phone & SIM.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: GoPhone SIM card questions

2 of 16 (11,126 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 21, 2011 9:43:01 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm not really interested in data, so I don't think the 3g would do me any good. Unless it's not just for data?

Oh yeah, i've got another concern.

My friend has/had a GoPhone (she said she stopped using it last week). She told me that she could text internationally with the $20 text feature package, and she didn't see her balance getting deductions from this. Can I really text internationally with that feature package or could her intl texting have been some sort of bug in the system?

I'm not really interested in data, so I don't think the 3g would do me any good. Unless it's not just for data?

My friend has/had a GoPhone (she said she stopped using it last week). She told me that she could text internationally with the $20 text feature package, and she didn't see her balance getting deductions from this. Can I really text internationally with that feature package or could her intl texting have been some sort of bug in the system?

3 of 16 (11,119 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 3:18:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, you may used that Motorola phone on your new prepaid service. A prepaid SIM card from an AT&T corporate store will cost you around $25. If you were to buy one instead on Amazon or eBay, they are a lot cheaper, and it is safe. I purchased three in the past year-and-a-half for just a measly $3.77 each from a seller on eBay. You can activate the new SIM card right here on this site. It's quick and easy.

3G is not just for data/Internet. 3G is a more advanced and faster signal type than regular 2G, or EDGE. If you were to have 3G, you would be able to send and receive messages/calls very quickly. I love 3G, and it doesn't cost anything to use it.

I'm not quite sure about the international text messaging. I would think that international text/MMS messages would cost extra.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Yes, you may used that Motorola phone on your new prepaid service. A prepaid SIM card from an AT&T corporate store will cost you around $25. If you were to buy one instead on Amazon or eBay, they are a lot cheaper, and it is safe. I purchased three in the past year-and-a-half for just a measly $3.77 each from a seller on eBay. You can activate the new SIM card right here on this site. It's quick and easy.

3G is not just for data/Internet. 3G is a more advanced and faster signal type than regular 2G, or EDGE. If you were to have 3G, you would be able to send and receive messages/calls very quickly. I love 3G, and it doesn't cost anything to use it.

I'm not quite sure about the international text messaging. I would think that international text/MMS messages would cost extra.

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 16 (11,096 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 4:21:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by hme83 on Mar 22, 2011 at 4:28:01 AM

bayewulf wrote:

I would also tend to advocate just getting your SIM from a local Corporate at&t store when you arrive and establish your account.  Unless you just don't have a Corporate store near your destination, there isn't any advantage to spending money for one from an unknown party on eBay/amazon.  Everything can be done all at once in a local at&t store, and as dmapr has already indicated if you do it this way and fund the account while in the store, there should be no charge at all for the SIM.

From a practical standpoint, 3G service really does not provide any benefit if you aren't interested in using data.  The primary benefits with the 3G network are (potentially) faster data speeds and the ability to use voice and data simultaneously.

The unlimited talk & text GoPhone plan ($60/month) includes SMS to 100 other countries, but it sounds like your friend had a different rate plan with the $20/month unlimited feature plan add-on?  There have been quite a few prepaid account users who have reported that their international texting was being charged no differently than that of domestic texting (coming from a messaging feature plan where they had one, charged at the domestic SMS rate where they didn't).  I don't know that it has ever been determined whether this is intentional (and will last) or is just a glitch in the billing system and may be changed at some point in time.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

bayewulf wrote:

I would also tend to advocate just getting your SIM from a local Corporate at&t store when you arrive and establish your account.  Unless you just don't have a Corporate store near your destination, there isn't any advantage to spending money for one from an unknown party on eBay/amazon.  Everything can be done all at once in a local at&t store, and as dmapr has already indicated if you do it this way and fund the account while in the store, there should be no charge at all for the SIM.

From a practical standpoint, 3G service really does not provide any benefit if you aren't interested in using data.  The primary benefits with the 3G network are (potentially) faster data speeds and the ability to use voice and data simultaneously.

The unlimited talk & text GoPhone plan ($60/month) includes SMS to 100 other countries, but it sounds like your friend had a different rate plan with the $20/month unlimited feature plan add-on?  There have been quite a few prepaid account users who have reported that their international texting was being charged no differently than that of domestic texting (coming from a messaging feature plan where they had one, charged at the domestic SMS rate where they didn't).  I don't know that it has ever been determined whether this is intentional (and will last) or is just a glitch in the billing system and may be changed at some point in time.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

[ Edited ]
5 of 16 (11,088 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 1:53:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

I was texting internationally till yesterday for the past 2 years and was on the 4.99 texting plan at 200 messages a month.  TODAY,  All of a sudden today I am being charged 25 cents per message to send internationally.  Anyone know what the deal is?  why,  what happened?

I was texting internationally till yesterday for the past 2 years and was on the 4.99 texting plan at 200 messages a month.  TODAY,  All of a sudden today I am being charged 25 cents per message to send internationally.  Anyone know what the deal is?  why,  what happened?

6 of 16 (11,052 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 2:13:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

tetovari wrote:

It could be that you have managed to go over the 200 message limit and would then have to pay the pay-per-use charge of international text messages, twenty-five cents per message, sent and received.

tetovari wrote:

It could be that you have managed to go over the 200 message limit and would then have to pay the pay-per-use charge of international text messages, twenty-five cents per message, sent and received.

7 of 16 (11,045 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 5:08:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

bayewulf wrote:

I personally have mixed feelings about 3G. When it works, it's great (compared to 2G) and I'm only talking about voice. Most of the times on 2G here in Bay Area the voice quality is very choppy. 3G on the other hand is very clear. Problem is, 3G coverage is nowhere near 2G and I get more network errors on 3G. Fortunately enough, all of my 3G-capable phones allow me to turn it on/off as I please, so I can always adjust if one suffers more than other. Bottom line: YMMV, but it's good to have options.

bayewulf wrote:

I personally have mixed feelings about 3G. When it works, it's great (compared to 2G) and I'm only talking about voice. Most of the times on 2G here in Bay Area the voice quality is very choppy. 3G on the other hand is very clear. Problem is, 3G coverage is nowhere near 2G and I get more network errors on 3G. Fortunately enough, all of my 3G-capable phones allow me to turn it on/off as I please, so I can always adjust if one suffers more than other. Bottom line: YMMV, but it's good to have options.

8 of 16 (11,027 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 7:17:42 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by bayewulf on Mar 22, 2011 at 7:57:49 PM

Okay, so 3g aint that important then, although it would be nicer?

Anyway, I'd like to know if receiving international calls will deduct anything from my balance.

I mean, if someone sends you a text from outside the USA, you'll get charged like, 10 cents right? So, will you get charged anything if someone from outside the USA calls you?

edit:

If I purchase $25 in credit, purchase the $20 unlimited texting feature package, and receive any kind of call at all, will I be charged for this?

HELP asap guys, before I order my phone (I'm scared it might go out of stock)

Anyway, I'd like to know if receiving international calls will deduct anything from my balance.

I mean, if someone sends you a text from outside the USA, you'll get charged like, 10 cents right? So, will you get charged anything if someone from outside the USA calls you?

edit:

If I purchase $25 in credit, purchase the $20 unlimited texting feature package, and receive any kind of call at all, will I be charged for this?

[ Edited ]
9 of 16 (11,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 22, 2011 10:44:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

bayewulf wrote:

edit:

On a Simple Rate plan you'll be charged 10 cents per minute for any incoming call, regardless of whether it's domestic or international.

bayewulf wrote:

edit:

On a Simple Rate plan you'll be charged 10 cents per minute for any incoming call, regardless of whether it's domestic or international.

10 of 16 (10,995 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 3:55:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

dmapr wrote:

bayewulf wrote:

It's interesting the different experiences people have - as I've noted before that my 3G phone (SE W518a) is no faster than my 2G phone (SE W580i) in terms of data usage, but the voice quality of calls is no different on the 3G device either.  I've not compared it directly to the 2G SE (I don't carry it daily and I make very few phone calls), but on both the 3G SE and my 2G Nokia E70-2, calls are consistently noticeably choppy compared to what my experience was several years ago (before 3G was implemented in this area).  Since I have an at&t branded device, I can't turn off the 3G network on the W518a to see if it helps the voice quality on that particular phone.  But all in all, my 3G experience has been very disheartening - the only benefit I receive with the 3G service (using a device I purchased from at&t) is the ability for simultaneous voice and data - which I really couldn't care less about. Smiley Sad

Lol.  I'd wonder if at&t was just forcing the "H" (HSPA) indicator on my W518a, except that simultaneous use of voice and data is available, so it does seem to be making use of the 3G network.  And this is even with a brand new post paid SIM.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

dmapr wrote:

bayewulf wrote:

It's interesting the different experiences people have - as I've noted before that my 3G phone (SE W518a) is no faster than my 2G phone (SE W580i) in terms of data usage, but the voice quality of calls is no different on the 3G device either.  I've not compared it directly to the 2G SE (I don't carry it daily and I make very few phone calls), but on both the 3G SE and my 2G Nokia E70-2, calls are consistently noticeably choppy compared to what my experience was several years ago (before 3G was implemented in this area).  Since I have an at&t branded device, I can't turn off the 3G network on the W518a to see if it helps the voice quality on that particular phone.  But all in all, my 3G experience has been very disheartening - the only benefit I receive with the 3G service (using a device I purchased from at&t) is the ability for simultaneous voice and data - which I really couldn't care less about. Smiley Sad

Lol.  I'd wonder if at&t was just forcing the "H" (HSPA) indicator on my W518a, except that simultaneous use of voice and data is available, so it does seem to be making use of the 3G network.  And this is even with a brand new post paid SIM.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

11 of 16 (9,020 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 6:16:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

bayewulf wrote:

edit: If I purchase $25 in credit, purchase the $20 unlimited texting feature package, and receive any kind of call at all, will I be charged for this? _____________________________________________________

That's exactly what I do, and I am charged ten cents per minute per call. As dmapr has already stated, international or local calls are the same rate per minute - just ten cents.

bayewulf wrote:

edit: If I purchase $25 in credit, purchase the $20 unlimited texting feature package, and receive any kind of call at all, will I be charged for this? _____________________________________________________

That's exactly what I do, and I am charged ten cents per minute per call. As dmapr has already stated, international or local calls are the same rate per minute - just ten cents.

12 of 16 (9,013 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 6:34:34 PM
(0)
Tutor

no did not go over my limit I have 128 messages remaining but i am charged for international texts at 25 cents when I send

no did not go over my limit I have 128 messages remaining but i am charged for international texts at 25 cents when I send

13 of 16 (8,990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 23, 2011 6:44:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

tetovari wrote:

Hmm. I thought that could be it. I'm not really sure what else it could be, other than AT&T has recently changed the policy on sending and receiving international text/MMS messages.

The one other thing I can think of is have you been using some sort of different appplcation other than the standard messaging feature on your phone to send the international messages? A third-party app, perhaps?

If you have just been using the regular messaging app already on your phone, something must have come up along the way...

tetovari wrote:

Hmm. I thought that could be it. I'm not really sure what else it could be, other than AT&T has recently changed the policy on sending and receiving international text/MMS messages.

The one other thing I can think of is have you been using some sort of different appplcation other than the standard messaging feature on your phone to send the international messages? A third-party app, perhaps?

If you have just been using the regular messaging app already on your phone, something must have come up along the way...

14 of 16 (8,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 4:01:35 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

tetovari wrote:

Unless you are on one of the "Talk & Text" rate plans and were sending text messages to one of the countries listed here, the stated rate for texting to international locations is $0.25 per message sent (received are charged at the domestic rate or deducted from a messaging plan). 

Many users have reported they weren't being charged differently for messages sent to international locations for quite some time now; however, at&t's documentation has always stated there would be a charge.  My "guess" would be that it was a billing glitch and at&t has finally gotten it sorted out - possibly there was a concerted effort on their part to do so since they now offer free unlimited texting to 100 other countries within the "Talk & Text" plans.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

tetovari wrote:

Unless you are on one of the "Talk & Text" rate plans and were sending text messages to one of the countries listed here, the stated rate for texting to international locations is $0.25 per message sent (received are charged at the domestic rate or deducted from a messaging plan). 

Many users have reported they weren't being charged differently for messages sent to international locations for quite some time now; however, at&t's documentation has always stated there would be a charge.  My "guess" would be that it was a billing glitch and at&t has finally gotten it sorted out - possibly there was a concerted effort on their part to do so since they now offer free unlimited texting to 100 other countries within the "Talk & Text" plans.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

15 of 16 (8,970 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 24, 2011 10:35:45 AM
(0)
Tutor

wow, that really sucks... Smiley Sad

I've gotten used to the Philippines (as I grew up there, lol) where incoming texts or calls wouldn't cost you a thing... And unlimited texting for a day at the most would set you back about $0.50 for one provider, and at the very least, that amount would get you two days of unlimited texting plus 10 minutes of calls to someone on the same network... There was even a promo where you could get unlimited talk and text for $3 a week... And you could get 50 minutes of international calls for less than $2...

I wonder why it's so expensive here in the USA... even incoming is charged/deducted Smiley Sad Are the signal towers or servers or whatever here that costly to run?

wow, that really sucks... Smiley Sad

I've gotten used to the Philippines (as I grew up there, lol) where incoming texts or calls wouldn't cost you a thing... And unlimited texting for a day at the most would set you back about $0.50 for one provider, and at the very least, that amount would get you two days of unlimited texting plus 10 minutes of calls to someone on the same network... There was even a promo where you could get unlimited talk and text for $3 a week... And you could get 50 minutes of international calls for less than $2...

I wonder why it's so expensive here in the USA... even incoming is charged/deducted Smiley Sad Are the signal towers or servers or whatever here that costly to run?

16 of 16 (8,954 Views)