GoPhone SIM and monthly refilling plan??

Contributor

GoPhone SIM and monthly refilling plan??

I'm thinking about getting a new phone, I'll probably buy an unlocked one off of ebay. Either a blackberry or some kind of touch screen phone, not sure yet. But when I do, can I use the at&t gophone sim card and put it in my new unlocked phone and use the prepaid plan?? and the refill cards i would have to buy every month, there's one that says unlimited talk text and data for $50 a month, i JUST spend 50 dollars a month and get unlmtd talk text and web or is there some kinda hidden fee ill have to pay that makes it more than 50 a month??? i'm confused. someone help. right now i'm using straight talk which is only 45 a month, so 50 a month wouldnt be bad at all. but any more than that then my dad miiight say no.. so your answers are verrrrry much appreciated. thank you!

Message 1 of 5 (2,596 Views)
Master

Re: GoPhone SIM and monthly refilling plan??

eliseeaddy wrote:

I'm thinking about getting a new phone, I'll probably buy an unlocked one off of ebay. Either a blackberry or some kind of touch screen phone, not sure yet. But when I do, can I use the at&t gophone sim card and put it in my new unlocked phone and use the prepaid plan?? and the refill cards i would have to buy every month, there's one that says unlimited talk text and data for $50 a month, i JUST spend 50 dollars a month and get unlmtd talk text and web or is there some kinda hidden fee ill have to pay that makes it more than 50 a month??? i'm confused. someone help. right now i'm using straight talk which is only 45 a month, so 50 a month wouldnt be bad at all. but any more than that then my dad miiight say no.. so your answers are verrrrry much appreciated. thank you!

Yes. You will be able to use a GoPhone SIM and plan in an unlocked phone of your choice. As far as I know, there are no "hidden" fees outside of the $50 - it's just straight $50 per month. There may be a monthly E911 fee, which is a state tax. It may vary on the cost depending on which state you live in, but you may be able to avoid it if you just refill your account with $50 before the fee can take effect.

As far as smartphones go, you may be somewhat limited to your choices. If you were to purchase a smartphone such as a BlackBerry, you would NOT be able to take advantage of the unlimited data portion of your plan. Instead, you would have to purchase a separate data package, which will cost you more than $50 per month. So, it would probably be best for you to go with a non-smartphone. You will be able to use unlimited data with a feature phone.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 5 (2,590 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

[ Edited ]

eliseeaddy wrote:

One tip I can give you is to check the GoPhone coverage for your area, and places you visit occasionally.

Is your Straight Talk phone served by Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile or others?  Sometimes you actually get better coverage with Straight Talk  phones than GoPhones because Straight Talk has roaming partners all over the US. GoPhones have limited roaming. Depending on where you live in the US, it may or may not make much difference. Another difference in coverage: GoPhones can roam in Canada and Mexico but I doubt if Straight Talk would roam in Canada.

If you buy a phone from a retailer that has a 30 day return policy, you can try GoPhone to see if the coverage will work for you. Just buy $15 airtime (expires in 30 days) to start.

Message 3 of 5 (2,580 Views)
Contributor

So like if i buy an unlocked blackberry i'll still have to buy a separate data plan/?
Message 4 of 5 (2,559 Views)
Master

Unfortunately, yes. Smiley Sad

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 5 of 5 (2,557 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.