GoPhone PIN - Currently not in the U.S.

Tutor

GoPhone PIN - Currently not in the U.S.

Hi All

I hope you can help.

I bought a gophone sim on ebay from an authorized AT&T dealer. He activated it before it was sent to me in Europe. I tried to go online when I received it to add more credit, so that I didn't lose the $15 credit already on the sim, before I arrive in the States on Vacation in May.

When I went to "manage my account" it asked me for my PIN, which I worked out was the last 4 digits off the cell number. However although it accepted this it promptly went on to tell me that as it was my first time logging on, they had sent me a new PIN by text and that I should enter this PIN to continue...

However, given that I am in Europe at the moment, the tet doesn't get through to me. The forgotten password option on AT&T will only send me a new PIN code to the phone and I haven't been able to reach anybody at AT&T to help (I only get the automated telephone assistant).

Can anybody help? i have the original card which the sim came in, which has the sim # etc.

Thanks
Ressie
Message 1 of 8 (5,255 Views)
Master

Re: GoPhone PIN - Currently not in the U.S.

I see the problem. I was in the same boat in June when I did not know the PIN/password to log-in to my online account. An automated text message containing my new password could not be sent to me because I had no money in the account, so I never got it.

So the automated message cannot be sent to you because you are in Europe. Hmmm...is there any way that you could possibly purchase an AT&T GoPhone refill card at any local store in Europe? Do they even sell the refill cards there? That's one other alternative to re-funding your account. If that is not possible, you could also purchase one off eBay for the time being.

Once you refill the account, you would receive the text message containing the new password for your online account when you enter the U.S. That's if you should ever need to log-in to your account again back in Europe so that you will now have the new password and can memorize it.

If you would like to call Customer Service, after every automated voice prompt keep repeating "customer service". The system will eventually give up and transfer you to a live rep where you can talk about the issue.

I hope the helps. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 8 (5,242 Views)
Tutor

Unfortunately we can't get refills for AT&T in Europe, so online is the only real option. :-(

Thanks for the tip re: the automated service. I've just tried that and it seems to work...except the offices are closed now until tomorrow! I'll try again then.
Message 3 of 8 (5,239 Views)
Master

ressie103 wrote:
Unfortunately we can't get refills for AT&T in Europe, so online is the only real option. :-(

Thanks for the tip re: the automated service. I've just tried that and it seems to work...except the offices are closed now until tomorrow! I'll try again then.

That's what I had thought about the refill cards - that they're not available in Europe.

But that's great to hear that it worked for you! Too bad the offices are closed...tomorrow sounds like a good deal.

Message 4 of 8 (5,233 Views)
Tutor

Ok. So I managed to reach somebody in Customer Services, but to be honest it wasn't much help.

It took me 10 mins for her to understand that as I wasn't currently in the states, I didn't have a network connection and therefore couldn't receive the texts which they were sending me with a new password. (to be fair, she was obviously of asian-descent with english as a second language, and my english accent plus a not so brilliant line obviously weren't helping matters).

So she said she would look in to my options and I should wait. Then she came back and said I should go online and enter the last 4 digits of the phone number as the password (which I had done last time, and it had been accepted although then it said as it was my first login it would send me a new password via text). She said once i did that, it would ASK me to personalise the password. So I did it, it accepted the password and then promptly told me, as it was my first login it had sent me a new one via text!! :bangs head against the wall:

So I asked the nice lady if she could just reset it as she had before (back to the default password of the last 4 digits of the phone number) and she said she couldn't do that?? But she obviously did it before because previously the website wouldn't accept the last 4 digits of my number...

...anyway, at this point i gave up. The most important thing for me was the confirmation that the $25 I had added yesterday had been added and had extended my original $15 credit until June 17th.

Now, In researching this i discovered that there have previosuly been issues with the imei when the phone being used was different to the phone used to activate the sim. Given that the sim was activated by the seller, this means my imei will obviously be different. Does anybody know if this is still a problem or whether I should just be able to insert the sim in to my own phone when I arrive in the states and it should work straight away??
Message 5 of 8 (5,146 Views)
Master

That's...not the best Customer Service experience I've heard of by far, but at least she tried to help. All that really matters is that the money was successfully added to your account and the expiration date (also on my birthday Smiley Wink) was pushed back.

The IMEI number of the phone upon activation of the SIM card would depend. If the eBay seller actually activated the SIM with their own phone or another one, there could be a chance that the SIM would be locked to that phone 180 days after it was activated. However, I'm sure that the seller activated the SIM card through AT&T's own system to activate a SIM card. I have activated three brand new (never activated or used) SIM cards on that tutorial before, and there was no phone other than the one I put it in's IMEI associated with the newly activated card. Therefore, the switch and phone number were the same for the phone, being that the new SIM was never activated in another phone before.

Honestly, you should be fine. I mean, there's a small chance that your SIM card could be locked to the original phone upon activation, but I think when you put your SIM card into your own phone it will work absolutely fine without any problems.

Message 6 of 8 (5,137 Views)
Tutor

I hope so :-)The only thing that worries me, is that the piece of paper the seller sent with the sims showing the info with which it had been activated, said something about Samsung SGH...

But this is an authorized AT&T seller on ebay and they're by far not the only activated sim cards they've sold so I guess a) they know what they are doing and b) if not, there would have been plenty of negative feedback on his ebay profile!

I'm certainly worrying for nothing!!

Surely it's a good omen that the expiration has been extended to your birthday, given that you have been so helpful! :-)

Message 7 of 8 (5,135 Views)
Master

That could be the phone that the SIM card was activated to, if it was activated to a phone at all. I wouldn't worry much about it. I think you will be just fine.

I find it ironic that your account expiration date just so happens to lie on my birthday... Smiley Very Happy Thank you, and you're welcome!

Message 8 of 8 (5,126 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.