GoPhone...AT&T took my money, but doesn't give me service...

GoPhone...AT&T took my money, but doesn't give me service...

I have a gophone, and I realize that is not the high end of service provided by AT&T but I still pay to use the air, and they should provide me SOMETHING for my money. I paid to renew, used the phone ONCE after paying, then it was shut off. I was told my SIM card was inactivated, yet AT&T has kept my payment for three months of service. How do I get my $25 back, or get them to turn my phone back on? I cannot access any online help because the system won't recognize me as a customer. Please, can anyone tell me how to get real help from a real person? Thanks.
Message 1 of 12 (1,242 Views)
Master

Re: GoPhone...AT&T took my money, but doesn't give me service...

babybeachbird wrote:
I have a gophone, and I realize that is not the high end of service provided by AT&T but I still pay to use the air, and they should provide me SOMETHING for my money. I paid to renew, used the phone ONCE after paying, then it was shut off. I was told my SIM card was inactivated, yet AT&T has kept my payment for three months of service. How do I get my $25 back, or get them to turn my phone back on? I cannot access any online help because the system won't recognize me as a customer. Please, can anyone tell me how to get real help from a real person? Thanks.
After three consecutive months of not refilling your account, ($25 cards/payments last for 90 days) your account has expired and is no longer available for access. This happened because you did not add any funds to your account within the three-month time period, even if you already had an existing balance of $25. Your account, as well as your SIM card, phone number, and the $25 has all expired. There may be a chance that AT&T will credit you back the $25 that was lost, but there's also a chance that they cannot.

Your SIM card cannot be re-activated as it has already expired. You will have to get a new SIM along with a new phone number.

You can contact customer service at 1-800-331-0500. They should be able to help you out.

***Mod note: When this was posted in "General Care", I posted my reply as the thread was being moved here to "Prepaid" at the same time. Is there any way to get my reply back? It was sort of a pain to have to re-post this again when I already had everything down...only to find that it did not process... Smiley Indifferent

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 12 (1,232 Views)

Thank you for your response. I am not sure I described the situation accurately. The $25 payment was not an expired, carried-over-three-month amount. It was a payment that was made at the end of my previously paid period. I paid up front for August-September-October, they kept the money but shut me off. I was able to use the phone ONCE after I made the payment. They should not have taken the money if they were going to discontinue the service, should not have let me use it only to shut it off AFTER my sending a payment. Doesn't make sense. I can handle losing the money I had been carrying over for several months previously, but in this case they should not have allowed me to make a payment on a so-called dead phone/account. Customer service number does not allow me to speak to a real person, asks for my number then cuts me off (obviously I am not calling from the gophone). I just want to know how to get to a real person to get my money back. I don't want to have to drive 20 miles to a phone store to fix this.
Message 3 of 12 (1,227 Views)
Master

babybeachbird wrote:
Thank you for your response. I am not sure I described the situation accurately. The $25 payment was not an expired, carried-over-three-month amount. It was a payment that was made at the end of my previously paid period. I paid up front for August-September-October, they kept the money but shut me off. I was able to use the phone ONCE after I made the payment. They should not have taken the money if they were going to discontinue the service, should not have let me use it only to shut it off AFTER my sending a payment. Doesn't make sense. I can handle losing the money I had been carrying over for several months previously, but in this case they should not have allowed me to make a payment on a so-called dead phone/account. Customer service number does not allow me to speak to a real person, asks for my number then cuts me off (obviously I am not calling from the gophone). I just want to know how to get to a real person to get my money back. I don't want to have to drive 20 miles to a phone store to fix this.

I would call customer service (1-800-331-0500) and instead of entering a phone number state "customer service" - the IVR will connect you with a live representative.  You will probably have to be transferred to prepaid customer service, but tell the rep that you are being cutoff by the prepaid IVR system as soon as you enter your phone number - hopefully they'll just connect you directly with the prepaid department. 

If your $25 payment for the three upcoming months of service was indeed charged to your credit card/and or deducted from your bank account, they should be able to refund the payment or re-activate your line of service without any issue.  (Should be the latter - as even if your previous refill had completely expired, you still have 60 days after the expiration date to reactivate the account.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 12 (1,214 Views)

hme83, Thank you, that was very helpful. I will give that a try!
Message 5 of 12 (1,186 Views)
Master

babybeachbird wrote:
hme83, Thank you, that was very helpful. I will give that a try!

You're welcome - good luck! Smiley Happy

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 6 of 12 (1,172 Views)

No joy.

I have tried several times now to speak to someone who can help.  I end up on hold, and even after telling them NOT to route me through the automated system, I end up there.

I have asked for people higher up on the authority chain, but apparently AT%T escalation practices are about doing the least possible for a customer that is of little dollar value.

I am sitting on hold again, right now, after a very sympathetic person said she'd see what she could do.

I have just been routed to a payment center who told me she was not able to process this claim.  They have my money, and took it  the day AFTER they cancelled the service, yet they will not return it. 

Talk about dishonest!

So....

I will be disputing the charge with my credit card company, and letting everyone I know hear that AT&T steals money.

If I have to, I will see them in small claims court.

And, write a letter to every member of the board of directors. 

Yes, over $25.  Hurting small people is not good, just because they are small. 

Message 7 of 12 (1,151 Views)

I am off now to write a blog post. Lots of people are going to hear about this.

I was planning to take service with AT&T to have the ability to talk for free to my family members.

I will be getting them OFF of their pricey At&T plan instead.
Message 8 of 12 (1,150 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

babybeachbird wrote:
I am off now to write a blog post. Lots of people are going to hear about this.

I was planning to take service with AT&T to have the ability to talk for free to my family members.

I will be getting them OFF of their pricey At&T plan instead.
Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Sorry to hear that AT&T's GoPhone service did not work out for you. I wish you good luck with pursuing your case with AT&T and spreading the word around the country. If you think people need to be aware of this, then that would be the way to do it.

Message 9 of 12 (1,146 Views)

Thanks, Wild Banchi.

Took care of my blogpost.

Next stop, Facebook and the Better Business Bureau.  Smiley Mad

I will definitely be speaking up.

Hopefully my credit card company will stand up for me too.

It's not like $25 is a huge deal to me, I'm grateful to be comfortably employed.  But it's the principle.  They shouldn't be allowed to get away with taking money for services they don't plan to deliver.

Message 10 of 12 (1,143 Views)
Master

babybeachbird wrote:

Thanks, Wild Banchi.

It's not like $25 is a huge deal to me, I'm grateful to be comfortably employed.  But it's the principle.  They shouldn't be allowed to get away with taking money for services they don't plan to deliver.

You're welcome. Smiley Happy

And you're completely right.

Message 11 of 12 (968 Views)
Master

babybeachbird wrote:

Thanks, Wild Banchi.

I agree - no matter how small the $'s, at&t should not get away with charging you for a refill and then not delivering the service.

Let us know how things turn out - hopefully under the circumstances your credit card company will be able to be of the most assistance in getting it resolved.  And if so, one very good reason to *always* pay for a refill via credit card, imo.

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 12 of 12 (961 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.