Go phone general Questions

Teacher

Go phone general Questions

Hi, I have not yet gotten a go-phone, but I have some questions first.

I am interested in the 25$ plan. Are there any hidden fees or anything besides the 25$?

If i purchased a refurbished phone, are they in good condition?

Can you buy refill cards at the store, or only online?

Can you buy a sim card and bring your old phone and use it as a go-phone?

Any other good or bad things worth mentioning?

Message 1 of 36 (14,573 Views)
Teacher

Re: Go phone general Questions

[quote]

Hi, I have not yet gotten a go-phone, but I have some questions first.

I am interested in the 25$ plan. Are there any hidden fees or anything besides the 25$?

If i purchased a refurbished phone, are they in good condition?

Can you buy refill cards at the store, or only online?

Can you buy a sim card and bring your old phone and use it as a go-phone?

Any other good or bad things worth mentioning?[/quote]

I have the ZTE Avail Go Phone with the $25.00 monthly plan.

Other than sales tax there are no more fees.

Refurb should have a warranty

Cards can be bought both at stores and online or use your cc to refill thru ATT

Sim Card and other phone, I think it depends on which phone

Love my phone, plan and service. Came from an iPhone

Message 2 of 36 (14,402 Views)
Teacher

thanks for replying.

Do you feel like you still get most of the features from the ZTE avial, even though you don't get internet on the 25$ plan.? I know it's an android, are you still getting the full experience or most of it, or does it feel like you are really restricted? Did you buy your phone online or in the store? Are they cheaper online? Are you able to upload more than 25$ per month?

Like can you buy a 100$ card, upload it, and it will last for 4 months? thanks

Message 3 of 36 (14,375 Views)
Teacher

and wait, this phone comes with wifi. Does that mean you don't need a data plan to use the internet? Can you still access the android market on wifi or do you need a plan for that?

Message 4 of 36 (14,355 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Don't feel restricted at all.

Bought it at Walmart for $129.00.  They are the same online from what I have found.

I don't think you can purchase a card that will last more than a month however if you need more time you can purchase an unlimited (talk/text) card for $50.00 per month. But for me the $25.00 per month plan works fine for me (250 minutes & unlimited text) if I were to go over 250 min. it's .10 cents per minute.

Yes the wifi works great and I can access the Android Market (Google Play / silly name) Also Amazon App Store.  NO Data Plan needed!!

Message 5 of 36 (14,334 Views)
Teacher

Can you have a weather widget and what not just using wifi? Can you watch videos online? So you can download games, apps, and other stuff on the android market on wifi? And How is the voice-to-text? Can it interpret larger sentences like: "tell roger to meet me at the riverside cafe after he gets done with work", or can it only take simple commands, like "how are you doing"?

Message 6 of 36 (14,320 Views)
Teacher

And also, how does adding refill cards work? I don't know if you know how tracfone works, but You just went to the prepaid menu on the phone, then "add airtime" then you typed in the code then you were updated. Is it like that, or do you have to have an online account to upload the pin to redeem the card?

Message 7 of 36 (14,316 Views)
Teacher

Yes Yes and Yes Smiley Happy but of course only when connected to wifi. Unless you pay extra for a data plan. I haven't tried the voice to text.
Message 8 of 36 (14,310 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

How is "how are you doing" considered a simple instruction? That's one silly question that's better suited for Siri. As for the earlier, last I tried, Android couldn't interpret something like that. However, you could use voice commands to send a text message or email and then use dictation to write the message/email. Refill, *888* + pin number + # then press send.
Message 9 of 36 (14,312 Views)
Teacher

You do not have to use / buy a card you can do it either online with your cc or call (free) 611. You can have ATT to auto charge your cc/debit card monthly, or if you register a cc/debit card they will send you a text and pay (this is my prefered method) just by replying 25 + last four #'s of your cc that's on file.

Message 10 of 36 (14,311 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Grimreaper11 wrote:

And also, how does adding refill cards work? I don't know if you know how tracfone works, but You just went to the prepaid menu on the phone, then "add airtime" then you typed in the code then you were updated. Is it like that, or do you have to have an online account to upload the pin to redeem the card?

Yes. You can buy refill cards. Refill cards have PIN numbers that you can enter into the phone or online.

Refill cards will expire in  x days from the time of activation, not  x days from your current expiration date.  This is one aspect where AT&T differs from Tracfone. For a $25 refill card, x = 90.

Message 11 of 36 (14,310 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

hnzw_rui wrote:
How is "how are you doing" considered a simple instruction? That's one silly question that's better suited for Siri. As for the earlier, last I tried, Android couldn't interpret something like that. However, you could use voice commands to send a text message or email and then use dictation to write the message/email. Refill, *888* + pin number + # then press send.

when I said A simple command like  "how are you doing" I was talking about speach to text....

Message 12 of 36 (14,290 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

ilikewireless wrote:

Yes. You can buy refill cards. Refill cards have PIN numbers that you can enter into the phone or online.

Refill cards will expire in  x days from the time of activation, not  x days from your current expiration date.  This is one aspect where AT&T differs from Tracfone. For a $25 refill card, x = 90.

ww..ww...waaiitt.  A 25$ go phone refill card lasts 90 days? Are you sure You are talking about the same plan I am, because if you were, that would be sweet. I am talking about the 25$ unlimited text and 250 minutes plan...

Message 13 of 36 (14,286 Views)
Professor

Grimreaper11 wrote:

ilikewireless wrote:

ww..ww...waaiitt.  A 25$ go phone refill card lasts 90 days? Are you sure You are talking about the same plan I am, because if you were, that would be sweet. I am talking about the 25$ unlimited text and 250 minutes plan...

That post is a reply to your question about refill cards. You can accumulate up to $500 in your account and the 90 days extension is for the pool of money in your account. A $25 monthly plan can draw from your pool of money in your account. The instant you select the $25 monthly plan, $25 will be deducted from your account. A month later $25 will be deducted per the plan.  Your account expiration date can be extended when you enter the PIN number of a refill card. For a $25 refill card, the extension is 90 days from the day of activation of the refill card.

Message 14 of 36 (14,273 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

Grimreaper11 wrote:

The refill cards themselves expire after 90 days. The $25/250 minutes+unlimited text plan expires after 30 days. What this basically means is if you load $25 to the account and sign-up for the $25/250 min plan and don't refill after, you'll get the following:

day 1-30:

$25 credit - $25 plan = $0 balance, 250 minutes + unlimited text

after 30 days:

$0 balance, can't make calls or send texts, SIM card still active, plan switches to pay as you go (probably the $0.10/min one)

after 150 days (90 day credit expiration + 60 day grace period):

SIM card gets deactivated and becomes unusable, you lose your number and need to buy a new SIM card if you want to get GoPhone service

Basic speech to text works fine. To get the equivalent of "tell roger to meet me at the riverside cafe after he gets done with work", you would do it in 2 parts:

1. Use the microphone to activate Voice Action and say "send text to Roger" or "email Roger"

2. Use the microphone on the keyboard to activate speech to text and say "Meet me at the riverside cafe after you get done with work".

Message 15 of 36 (14,271 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.