Go Phone sim card in a not-go phone?

Contributor

Go Phone sim card in a not-go phone?

I recently bought a AT&T go phone. It came with the sim card and everything. Everything works just fine with the phone I bought with the sim card. However, I do not like the phone I currently have, so I wanted to know if I could use my prepaid sim card in another phone, say a LG Xenon, for example. 

Message 1 of 20
Master

Re: Go Phone sim card in a not-go phone?

Yes, you can. Smiley Happy

You may need to have customer service unlock your SIM so that it can be used in an alternate phone, but they should be willing to do so if you explain the situation to them.  An alternative is to visit a Corporate at&t store and request a new SIM (although you may be charged for it if you don't add funds to the account while you are in the store).

A year or so back, at&t started "locking" prepaid phones and SIMs to each other when a new GoPhone package is activated.  They will remove the "lock" under certain cirmcumstances, and from what I've seen they seem to be pretty lenient re: the time requirement with situations such as yours.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 2 of 20
Expert

hme83 wrote:

You may need to have customer service unlock your SIM so that it can be used in an alternate phone, but they should be willing to do so if you explain the situation to them.  An alternative is to visit a Corporate at&t store and request a new SIM (although you may be charged for it if you don't add funds to the account while you are in the store).

A year or so back, at&t started "locking" prepaid phones and SIMs to each other when a new GoPhone package is activated.  They will remove the "lock" under certain cirmcumstances, and from what I've seen they seem to be pretty lenient re: the time requirement with situations such as yours.

Would it also depend in if the phone in question is eligble for the service? I know that iphones are not eligible for go-phone service and suspect that there are others also - problably the majority of smartphones

Message 3 of 20
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

hme83 wrote:

Would it also depend in if the phone in question is eligble for the service? I know that iphones are not eligible for go-phone service and suspect that there are others also - problably the majority of smartphones

The OP provides an example of wanting to use the SIM with a LG Xenon, not an iPhone.  And there are many iPhones in use with at&t's prepaid service - at&t doesn't "support" their use with prepaid service but generally speaking users find they have no issue using them for at least voice and SMS.

The iPhone is the only smartphone that is not "supported" by at&t for use with prepaid service - in fact at&t just began selling the LG Thrive (Android) as a prepaid phone and has recently implemented "smartphone" plans for prepaid service. Smiley Wink  (Currently there is no difference between the smartphone plans vs. the non-smartphone plans for prepaid service with the exception that with a smartphone plan PPU data is not available; however, no data is.)  

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 4 of 20
Expert

hme83 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

hme83 wrote:

The OP provides an example of wanting to use the SIM with a LG Xenon, not an iPhone.  And there are many iPhones in use with at&t's prepaid service - at&t doesn't "support" their use with prepaid service but generally speaking users find they have no issue using them for at least voice and SMS.

The iPhone is the only smartphone that is not "supported" by at&t for use with prepaid service - in fact at&t just began selling the LG Thrive (Android) as a prepaid phone and has recently implemented "smartphone" plans for prepaid service. Smiley Wink  (Currently there is no difference between the smartphone plans vs. the non-smartphone plans for prepaid service with the exception that with a smartphone plan PPU data is not available; however, no data is.)  

from what I can find on the thrive is permitted on a pre-paid plan, got a link showing what you are stating?

Message 5 of 20
Master

wingrider01 wrote:
from what I can find on the thrive is permitted on a pre-paid plan, got a link showing what you are stating?

Sure - for starters, here are the official requirements for a device being used with GoPhone service.  As you can see, only "data only" devices are specifically disallowed per the TOS.

"DEVICE: The wireless phone or other device assigned to your account ("Device") must be compatible with, and not interfere with, our service, and must comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. A Device capable only of using data service is not allowed with GoPhone service. We may periodically program your Device remotely with system settings for roaming service, to direct your Device to use network services most appropriate for your typical usage, and other features that cannot be changed manually. Devices purchased for use on AT&T's systems are designed for use only on AT&T's network ("Equipment") and may not function on other wireless networks. Equipment is sold exclusively for use with GoPhone service and may not be resold. By purchasing such Equipment you agree to activate and use it on GoPhone service. You also agree that you will not make, nor will you assist others to make, any modifications to the Equipment or programming to enable the Equipment to operate on any other system. AT&T may, at its sole and absolute discretion, modify the programming to enable the operation of the Equipment on other systems. You understand and acknowledge that the Equipment is sold solely for use with AT&T's GoPhone service and that AT&T will be significantly damaged if you use or assist others to use the Equipment for any other purpose. You agree not to take any action to circumvent limits on the quantity of Equipment that may be purchased. You will be liable to AT&T for any damages resulting from the conduct prohibited in this section."

(From the GoPhone Wireless Customer Agreement (here))

And here is a link to the updated GoPhone page with the new Smartphone plans indicated:

GoPhone Rate Plans

Additionally, although it is fairly old now - here is a link to a post where a moderator clarified that smartphones are allowed on at&t's prepaid service (with less than full data oriented functionality in some cases).  This change was made after the unlimited MediaNet prepaid feature plan was eliminated - so all data packages with prepaid service are now limited allotment plans and have been for quite some time.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Smartphone-on-GoPhone-plan/m-p/1865397#M34802

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 6 of 20
Expert

hme83 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Sure - for starters, here are the official requirements for a device being used with GoPhone service.  As you can see, only "data only" devices are specifically disallowed per the TOS.

"DEVICE: The wireless phone or other device assigned to your account ("Device") must be compatible with, and not interfere with, our service, and must comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. A Device capable only of using data service is not allowed with GoPhone service. We may periodically program your Device remotely with system settings for roaming service, to direct your Device to use network services most appropriate for your typical usage, and other features that cannot be changed manually. Devices purchased for use on AT&T's systems are designed for use only on AT&T's network ("Equipment") and may not function on other wireless networks. Equipment is sold exclusively for use with GoPhone service and may not be resold. By purchasing such Equipment you agree to activate and use it on GoPhone service. You also agree that you will not make, nor will you assist others to make, any modifications to the Equipment or programming to enable the Equipment to operate on any other system. AT&T may, at its sole and absolute discretion, modify the programming to enable the operation of the Equipment on other systems. You understand and acknowledge that the Equipment is sold solely for use with AT&T's GoPhone service and that AT&T will be significantly damaged if you use or assist others to use the Equipment for any other purpose. You agree not to take any action to circumvent limits on the quantity of Equipment that may be purchased. You will be liable to AT&T for any damages resulting from the conduct prohibited in this section."

(From the GoPhone Wireless Customer Agreement (here))

And here is a link to the updated GoPhone page with the new Smartphone plans indicated:

GoPhone Rate Plans

Additionally, although it is fairly old now - here is a link to a post where a moderator clarified that smartphones are allowed on at&t's prepaid service (with less than full data oriented functionality in some cases).  This change was made after the unlimited MediaNet prepaid feature plan was eliminated - so all data packages with prepaid service are now limited allotment plans and have been for quite some time.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Prepaid/Smartphone-on-GoPhone-plan/m-p/1865397#M34802

Ouch 2.00 a day with no data

**$2/day charged only on days phone is used to make or receive a voice call (including a call to voice mailbox), use IM, or send a text or picture/video/sound message.

So if you use your phone once a day on a normal month your ending charges would be 62.00 + taxes, you can get a post paid account for less then that. Not sure I know anyone that does not use their cell phone every day

Message 7 of 20
ACE - Expert

wingrider01 wrote:

**$2/day charged only on days phone is used to make or receive a voice call (including a call to voice mailbox), use IM, or send a text or picture/video/sound message.

So if you use your phone once a day on a normal month your ending charges would be 62.00 + taxes, you can get a post paid account for less then that. Not sure I know anyone that does not use their cell phone every day

The last time I had a prepaid account there weren't any taxes, so it would've been $62 even.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 20
Expert

dmapr wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

The last time I had a prepaid account there weren't any taxes, so it would've been $62 even.

you can get a post paid account with data for a smartphone for 54.99 a month. the 62 does not include data, add data for 500MB for 25 and you ar at 87. Can't see the economics in that

Message 9 of 20
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

dmapr wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

you can get a post paid account with data for a smartphone for 54.99 a month. the 62 does not include data, add data for 500MB for 25 and you ar at 87. Can't see the economics in that

As usual, it depends on your needs.  You may not know any, but I know quite a few who don't use their cell phone every day. 

And considering the $2/day is *unlimited* talk + *unlimited* messaging (domestic) + *unlimited* text/IM to 100 other countries, for individual service I'd say it's pretty cost effective compared to at&t's post paid service if this package suits your needs.  An unlimited plan on post paid service is $70 + unlimited messaging for $20 + international texting $10 (which only provides for 100 messages, although the countries are not limited) - you're at $100/month.  If this was what I needed and the coverage of prepaid service is satisfactory, I'd take it at $62/month instead.  And better yet - if I use my cell phone every day, I'd just purchase the $60/month plan and save $2.  lol.  Depending on your state, you may incur a monthly E911 fee, but taxes and fees are on top of the mentioned rates for post paid service too.

Then for a smartphone user who doesn't need cellular data, this also provides an alternative to post paid service, where the mandatory data plan would add another $15/month fee - making the comparison $115/month for post paid service vs. $60/month for prepaid.  (A data plan is not required for a smartphone on prepaid service - but with the introduction of the new "smartphone" plans, if you are using a smartphone and do not add a data package you won't have access to cellular data.  PPU data is no longer available for smartphones on prepaid service.)  

And of course if you are an occasional user and don't need all the additional features, the SImple plan (10 cents per minute) is probably the better way to go.  (I still have the older $1/day with free MTM and find it suits my needs well, as text messages do not elicit the $1/day charge, and I rarely use a cell phone for voice.)

=^..^=

- Doug Larson

Message 10 of 20
ACE - Expert

wingrider01 wrote:

Can't see economics in getting a post paid plan if I only need the phone for a few months.

Can't see economics in getting a post paid plan if my credit rating will require a $500+ deposit.

Can't see economics in paying for 450 minutes a month if I use 800 -- overages would kill me.

I'm sure the list can be continued... different people have different needs, including some that want smartphones but don't want a data plan.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 11 of 20
Master

dmapr wrote:

I'm sure the list can be continued... different people have different needs, including some that want smartphones but don't want a data plan.

Such as users like myself. I'm using an Android smartphone on a prepaid GoPhone plan without paying a single dime for an unnecessary data plan I will never use. It really is a great deal. Only costs me $300 per year. I know some people pay $300 per MONTH.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 12 of 20
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:

dmapr wrote:

Such as users like myself. I'm using an Android smartphone on a prepaid GoPhone plan without paying a single dime for an unnecessary data plan I will never use. It really is a great deal. Only costs me $300 per year. I know some people pay $300 per MONTH.

when i step back and take a look at it from that point of view... man! i could use the extra cash..  Man Wink

Message 13 of 20
Master

RicoLX wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

dmapr wrote:

when i step back and take a look at it from that point of view... man! i could use the extra cash..  Man Wink

There are some disadvantages to prepaid service, though. Support is hard to come by and you must provide your own phone and manually refill your account monthly/whenever you'd like. If your phone stops working all of a sudden and it's out of warranty, the price of a new one would be at your own expense (that happened to me... Smiley Sad). Some say that coverage is not as good as for postpaid customers, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Advantages are; cheap to maintain, cost-effective, no state taxes or surcharges, no data plans for smartphones (except the LG Thrive) and overall, pretty friendly to your wallet.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 14 of 20
Professor

Wild Banchi wrote:
There are some disadvantages to prepaid service, though. Support is hard to come by and you must provide your own phone and manually refill your account monthly/whenever you'd like. If your phone stops working all of a sudden and it's out of warranty, the price of a new one would be at your own expense (that happened to me... Smiley Sad). Some say that coverage is not as good as for postpaid customers, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Advantages are; cheap to maintain, cost-effective, no state taxes or surcharges, no data plans for smartphones (except the LG Thrive) and overall, pretty friendly to your wallet.

Yep, when i had a Prepaid, my services was acceptionally good, in fact i still have that account thats still considered active till some date this summer. YOu are correct about all the aspects both pro and con.  Ive even placed the sim of the GoPhone account into my old Tilt for a day or two and it worked fine wiht no issues, i just had to make sure i turned data off and surfed via wi-fi just for testing it.  But the best part is no state and other sur charges that is a nice chunk o fmy monthly bill now.   I have to keep a regular line with unlimited because i use it as an alternate contact nubmer on my cards at work and when telecommuting, if i dont forward my desk phone to home, i just answer the cellular .

(...#2485  and countdown)

Message 15 of 20
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support