Go Phone Coverage

Teacher

Go Phone Coverage

Several people have mentioned that Go Phone Pre-paid does not have as good coverage as contract post paid coverage.  However, when I bring up the voice coverage map for the go phone and for for post paid contract, they look nearly identical in the southeast.  We live in NC, have vacation home in SC and travel to Fl often.  I brought up both coverage maps, enlarged them and put them side by side and it was very hard to see any difference.  I also picked up a go phone coverage map from local AT&T store and it looks same as online map.

So, my question to those who use go phone:  Have you had problems with coverage?  Have you had wide areas where there is no phone service?  Do any of you live or travel in NC, SC or along east coast?

I was checking out Boost and Virgin Mobil recently and many, many complained about poor coverage.  So, since we travel a lot, I felt like those carriers were not an option.

Just would like to hear of your experiences.

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 27 (4,949 Views)
Master

Re: Go Phone Coverage

elliern wrote:

Several people have mentioned that Go Phone Pre-paid does not have as good coverage as contract post paid coverage.  However, when I bring up the voice coverage map for the go phone and for for post paid contract, they look nearly identical in the southeast.  We live in NC, have vacation home in SC and travel to Fl often.  I brought up both coverage maps, enlarged them and put them side by side and it was very hard to see any difference.  I also picked up a go phone coverage map from local AT&T store and it looks same as online map.

So, my question to those who use go phone:  Have you had problems with coverage?  Have you had wide areas where there is no phone service?  Do any of you live or travel in NC, SC or along east coast?

I was checking out Boost and Virgin Mobil recently and many, many complained about poor coverage.  So, since we travel a lot, I felt like those carriers were not an option.

Thanks so much!

Your first statement may be true to an extent - it has been mentioned that prepaid customers receive a slightly reduced coverage range as opposed to post paid customers. I personally would not know a very remarkable difference, unless I did a side-by-side comparison of my friend's post paid phone and my prepaid phone. The test would be accurate because we both use the same phone, and different phones receive different signal strengths.

I would say that the prepaid and post paid coverage maps should not be too far off from one another in reality. I get full 3G signal in some areas of my city - and if I am getting full 3G, then I can only imagine that post paid customers would be getting the same with their 3G-enabled phones. The best way to test this out would be for you to get a prepaid phone and then compare it to what your postpaid phone's coverage was like. See if there is a notable difference.

The Forum member hme83 would have some good insight on this topic - this user has both prepaid and post paid accounts. I'm sure he would be willing to share if there is that noticeable of a difference between coverage types. Smiley Happy

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 2 of 27 (4,944 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

elliern wrote:

Thanks so much!

That's what it is. I have examined GoPhone coverages in detail before I decided to get one. The spotty coverage area is in the middle part of the US.

Like Wild Banchi mentioned, a forum member hme83 has both postpaid and prepaid phones. So he'll have real experiences to share with all.

Message 3 of 27 (4,938 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for the information.  I appreciate your response.

I know first hand how some phones have better signal strength than others.  That is why I am trying to figure out how to test the Go Phone LG Thrive in my home before giving up my post paid phone and family plan.  My house sits down in a kind of 'hollow' or very low area between higher ground.  Whenever I have bought a new phone I always have to buy and come to my house and test it out.  About half will not work at all inside my home and some not even outside in my yard.  They will work when I go up my driveway to the top of the hill.  So, most have to be returned.  Since the Thrive is on the expensive side, (and we will need to buy 2) I hate to commit to that and it not work.

Message 4 of 27 (4,936 Views)
Guru

I live in Boston and have a Go Phone account and I get excellent reception, my service is on par with that of those with post paid accounts. I've also been to sporting events and was still able to make and recieve calls. If you'd like a better understanding of the coverage in your area check out http://www.rootmetrics.com/.

Message 5 of 27 (4,929 Views)
Teacher

Thanks, Razr8 that is just the kind of information I was looking for.

FYI...I did send a pm to hme83  as others suggested.  ( I think that was the screen name you recommended...can't see it right now LOL)  Hopefully he will be able to give me some more information/suggestions as well.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Message 6 of 27 (4,925 Views)
Professor

elliern wrote:

Thanks for the information.  I appreciate your response.

I know first hand how some phones have better signal strength than others.  That is why I am trying to figure out how to test the Go Phone LG Thrive in my home before giving up my post paid phone and family plan.  My house sits down in a kind of 'hollow' or very low area between higher ground.  Whenever I have bought a new phone I always have to buy and come to my house and test it out.  About half will not work at all inside my home and some not even outside in my yard.  They will work when I go up my driveway to the top of the hill.  So, most have to be returned.  Since the Thrive is on the expensive side, (and we will need to buy 2) I hate to commit to that and it not work.

There's a very good discount on the Thrive this week at Radio Shack.

Message 7 of 27 (4,924 Views)
Teacher

Woo Hoo!  Thanks for the info ilikewireless!  I will go check it out tomorrow and see what their return policy is in case it won't work in my house.

Message 8 of 27 (4,920 Views)
Guru

elliern wrote:

Thanks, Razr8 that is just the kind of information I was looking for.

FYI...I did send a pm to hme83  as others suggested.  ( I think that was the screen name you recommended...can't see it right now LOL)  Hopefully he will be able to give me some more information/suggestions as well.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Your welcome, glad I could be of help and keep us posted of your situation.

Message 9 of 27 (4,914 Views)
Guru

I'd also like to add that my daughter has and I had Boost Mobile and coverage was not a problem, just thought I'd mention that.

Message 10 of 27 (4,911 Views)
Professor

elliern wrote:

Woo Hoo!  Thanks for the info ilikewireless!  I will go check it out tomorrow and see what their return policy is in case it won't work in my house.

elliern,

You're welcome.Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 27 (4,891 Views)
Mentor

Coverage is pretty good but it is definately not the same as the post paid plans. I had a rude awakening off the coast of Maine, friends all on AT&T with excellent coverage and I had no service.The coverage map I checked out later did accurately describe what was going on, I just wasn't aware it was different in the first place.

Message 12 of 27 (4,876 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

MaxBurn wrote:

Coverage is pretty good but it is definately not the same as the post paid plans. I had a rude awakening off the coast of Maine, friends all on AT&T with excellent coverage and I had no service.The coverage map I checked out later did accurately describe what was going on, I just wasn't aware it was different in the first place.

Thanks for the report. This is one more reason I should keep my Tracfone, being that Tracfone Co has roaming agreements with many carriers in the US. I'll keep my GoPhone for e-mail, web and as a backup for phone calls.

AT&T does not give GoPhone customers the same roaming coverage as their postpaid customers.

Message 13 of 27 (4,865 Views)
Teacher

Well, we went to Radio Shack and purchased 2 LG Thrives for $129 each.  I plan to go to our local AT&T store first thing in the morning to see if they will activate it with our current phone number/sim.  My husband actually got his first while I was at work.  He put his sim card in to see if we got good reception in our home and we did.  However, I understand that prepaid coverage may be different. We have 30 days to return it to Radio Shack if we don't like it or it just won't work in our area.

When I got home, I saw that he had active apps and was concerned that he would be charged for data, even though he didn't use any of them.  The clerk at Radio Shack told him he could just put his sim in and he would not need a data plan if he never used that service.  I am not sure about that.  So, had him remove his sim until we get the phones activated in the morning.

I am a little concerned about going to the AT&T store tomorrow since the new iPhone is now out.  They may be swamped and won't want to pay attention to me, especially since we didn't purchase them there.  I am hoping by being there as soon as the store opens, they will be in good moods and will help me out.

ilikewireless, are you saying that you don't get good coverage with your GoPhone?  If we each need to have 2 phones on two networks, that would not be acceptable for us.  In our area, many of the other prepaid carriers are now using the Sprint network and it can be spotty in our area of NC.  My daughter uses Sprint and it works about 90% of the time.  But, that other 10% is really annoying.  What part of the country do you live?  I have not heard from the gentleman I PM'd last night.  And he has not responded to this thread. 

I guess the worst case scenario is the phone won't work out for us and we return it to Radio Shack for full refund.  Then have to sign up with AT&T again with 2 year contract, with a more expensive family plan than we currently have.  I won't like that, but hopefully that is the worst that would happen.  I hope we wouldn't lose our phone numbers if we had to return to post paid. 

Thanks for all the help everyone.  I am praying and keeping fingers crossed that this will work out for us.

Message 14 of 27 (4,860 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

"ilikewireless, are you saying that you don't get good coverage with your GoPhone?"

Well, not quite. The earlier discussion was about the coast of Maine.

For most people, they would pick a carrier based on where they work, live and spend their leisure time.

My experience with the Thrive on the west coast is excellent.

What I remember from 2 months earlier is that GoPhone's coverage should be quite good on the west and east of the US. In the middle of the US, like Montana, N Dakota and S Dakota, with a 3G phone like the Thrive, you would have coverage too. If you use flip type $40 GoPhone, a 2G (and EDGE) phone, you won't get coverage in the middle states.

If you don't work and live in rural areas at the eastern states, I'd think you'd be covered. The difference between prepaid and postpaid may be very minor.

If you think that even a 5% reduced coverage may not work for you, you may choose the standard plan (as in the plan for 2 yr contract customers), paying month to month but without the 2 yr contract and without early termination fee.

Here's a some posts that you can read about.

Message 15 of 27 (4,854 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.