Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 22, 2011
1:32:55 PM
Give my 3gs to a friend who has her own ATT number and plan

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before. I am upgrading my iphone 3gs to a 4s (Yes my 4s is backordered but I am sure it will arrive eventually and am at peace with all of that!), and would like to give my 3gs to a friend. She is already an ATT customer and has an iphone 2 on its last legs. My questions:

• Can I hand over my wiped/restored phone with existing SIM card or does she need a new card?
  • Assuming we can keep the SIM card from my 3gs, what will my friend need to do to activate that 3gs for her own number?
  • Will there be a cost incurred on her ATT accout for this device transfer?

Many thanks in advance!

Apologies if this has been asked and answered before. I am upgrading my iphone 3gs to a 4s (Yes my 4s is backordered but I am sure it will arrive eventually and am at peace with all of that!), and would like to give my 3gs to a friend. She is already an ATT customer and has an iphone 2 on its last legs. My questions:

• Can I hand over my wiped/restored phone with existing SIM card or does she need a new card?
  • Assuming we can keep the SIM card from my 3gs, what will my friend need to do to activate that 3gs for her own number?
  • Will there be a cost incurred on her ATT accout for this device transfer?

Many thanks in advance!

Give my 3gs to a friend who has her own ATT number and plan

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2011 3:28:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

The original iPhone, 3G, and 3GS use a regular SIM card, but the 4 and 4S use a micro SIM card

When you activate your 4S, the new micro SIM card that comes with the phone is automatically activated and your old SIM card in the 3GS will be deactivated (you cant reactivate a SIM card once its deactivated, one-time use only)

I believe the original iPhone uses a different data & texting plan so what she can do is just remove her SIM card from her phone and put that in the 3GS -- then call AT&T (or you might be able to do it online) to switch the data & texting plan on her line so that its compatible with the 3GS. She wont be charged any fees (unless she wants to buy a new SIM card for some reason) or have to deal with extending her contract (if she has one)

Once you get your phone:

- backup 3GS in itunes then turn off the phone

- power on 4S and finish activation process

- when it asks you to setup as new phone or restore from backup, pick restore from backup and select the 3GS backup

- once the 4S is fully activated and working, erase the data on the 3GS

- tell her to backup her phone in itunes on her comp and then turn off phone

- pull out her SIM card and put it in the 3GS

- restore from her phone's backup to the 3GS

- once the 3GS is working, erase her old phone

The original iPhone, 3G, and 3GS use a regular SIM card, but the 4 and 4S use a micro SIM card

When you activate your 4S, the new micro SIM card that comes with the phone is automatically activated and your old SIM card in the 3GS will be deactivated (you cant reactivate a SIM card once its deactivated, one-time use only)

I believe the original iPhone uses a different data & texting plan so what she can do is just remove her SIM card from her phone and put that in the 3GS -- then call AT&T (or you might be able to do it online) to switch the data & texting plan on her line so that its compatible with the 3GS. She wont be charged any fees (unless she wants to buy a new SIM card for some reason) or have to deal with extending her contract (if she has one)

Once you get your phone:

- backup 3GS in itunes then turn off the phone

- power on 4S and finish activation process

- when it asks you to setup as new phone or restore from backup, pick restore from backup and select the 3GS backup

- once the 4S is fully activated and working, erase the data on the 3GS

- tell her to backup her phone in itunes on her comp and then turn off phone

- pull out her SIM card and put it in the 3GS

- restore from her phone's backup to the 3GS

- once the 3GS is working, erase her old phone

Re: Give my 3gs to a friend who has her own ATT number and plan

2 of 8 (700 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2011 3:45:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for your response! I appreciate you taking the time to provide guidance! Can you see any downside to my friend taking the restored phone with the existing SIM? Ideally, she could take the 3gs (restored to defaults but with the original SIM), somehow contact ATT and make this phone hers without swapping SIM cards. Is that possible? I am not opposed to SIM swapping,but as she is on ATT I am not sure that is necessary. I am assuming she will back up her own iphone and use that itunes backup to populate her own apps, contacts and such. Is this possible?

Thank you for your response! I appreciate you taking the time to provide guidance! Can you see any downside to my friend taking the restored phone with the existing SIM? Ideally, she could take the 3gs (restored to defaults but with the original SIM), somehow contact ATT and make this phone hers without swapping SIM cards. Is that possible? I am not opposed to SIM swapping,but as she is on ATT I am not sure that is necessary. I am assuming she will back up her own iphone and use that itunes backup to populate her own apps, contacts and such. Is this possible?

3 of 8 (694 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2011 4:00:10 PM
(0)
Mentor

Once a SIM card is deactivated then you can't reactivate it ever again, they are one-time use only -- your SIM card is currently attached to your line, once you activate the 4S with the new micro SIM card your old SIM card is automatically deactivated and that SIM card number is blacklisted by AT&T so it can never be used again

You can give her the phone with or without your old SIM card but she wont be able to use your old SIM card -- not sure what the big deal is, just pop out the SIM with a small paper clip it only takes a second to do it (stick a paper clip in the small hole and it pops right out)

Once a SIM card is deactivated then you can't reactivate it ever again, they are one-time use only -- your SIM card is currently attached to your line, once you activate the 4S with the new micro SIM card your old SIM card is automatically deactivated and that SIM card number is blacklisted by AT&T so it can never be used again

You can give her the phone with or without your old SIM card but she wont be able to use your old SIM card -- not sure what the big deal is, just pop out the SIM with a small paper clip it only takes a second to do it (stick a paper clip in the small hole and it pops right out)

4 of 8 (690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2011 4:01:44 PM
(0)
Master
No downside to giving her the iphone, she just needs to have a data plan and WILL need a NEW sim as the one currently installed will be deactivated when you activate yours.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
No downside to giving her the iphone, she just needs to have a data plan and WILL need a NEW sim as the one currently installed will be deactivated when you activate yours.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

5 of 8 (687 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2011 5:50:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks to everyone who responded. Turns out she ha a 3g, not a 2. Will that same SIM work if we swap it out?

Thanks to everyone who responded. Turns out she ha a 3g, not a 2. Will that same SIM work if we swap it out?

6 of 8 (675 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2011 6:32:43 PM
(0)
Professor

Your friend should be able to use her SIM card from her iPhone 3G in your old iPhone 3GS. 

Your friend should be able to use her SIM card from her iPhone 3G in your old iPhone 3GS. 

7 of 8 (664 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2011 7:33:40 PM
(0)
Mentor

PhoneBadger wrote:

Yep -- even easier, no need to call or make any changes

- backup 3G

- put 3G SIM card into the 3GS

- restore 3G backup to 3GS and she's done

PhoneBadger wrote:

Yep -- even easier, no need to call or make any changes

- backup 3G

- put 3G SIM card into the 3GS

- restore 3G backup to 3GS and she's done

8 of 8 (651 Views)