Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Dec 18, 2011
7:37:36 PM
View profile
Gingerbread update for samsung phones

Att had promised gingerbread update by the end of this year. However there is no news yet from ATT.

This is unfair policy by ATT by denying customers latest update of Android OS. Att must answer why is it taking so

long to bring the updates of newer operating system as the newer Andriod OS has gone upto 4.0.

Does that mean ATT will forget about the software update devices that are 1 year old and force customers to get

newer phones? Why don't android devices get update as quickly as iphone users?

Att must answer all these questions and publicly announce when they are going to release OS updates for android and keep

up their promise.

Att had promised gingerbread update by the end of this year. However there is no news yet from ATT.

This is unfair policy by ATT by denying customers latest update of Android OS. Att must answer why is it taking so

long to bring the updates of newer operating system as the newer Andriod OS has gone upto 4.0.

Does that mean ATT will forget about the software update devices that are 1 year old and force customers to get

newer phones? Why don't android devices get update as quickly as iphone users?

Att must answer all these questions and publicly announce when they are going to release OS updates for android and keep

up their promise.

Gingerbread update for samsung phones

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 6:56:12 AM
(0)
Guru

AT&T wasted too much time trying to integrate spyware (Carrier IQ) into the phone, and then pulling it back out when they incurred the wrath of a United States senator.

(Users on XDA have been following the leaks since September - throughout October and November, Infuse leaks had CIQ and stability problems - the latest UCKL2 leak seems pretty stable with no CIQ - my guess is that CIQ was causing the problem.)

AT&T wasted too much time trying to integrate spyware (Carrier IQ) into the phone, and then pulling it back out when they incurred the wrath of a United States senator.

(Users on XDA have been following the leaks since September - throughout October and November, Infuse leaks had CIQ and stability problems - the latest UCKL2 leak seems pretty stable with no CIQ - my guess is that CIQ was causing the problem.)

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

Re: Gingerbread update for samsung phones

2 of 14 (1,621 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2011 9:42:49 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by girya on Dec 19, 2011 at 9:46:00 AM

still they can update the customers about the situation and put estimated date of release!!

right now both samsung and att are refusing to tell anything about the issue!

Moreover, the news abt the release of gingerbread in Aug 2011 is rejeected as a rumour.

still they can update the customers about the situation and put estimated date of release!!

right now both samsung and att are refusing to tell anything about the issue!

Moreover, the news abt the release of gingerbread in Aug 2011 is rejeected as a rumour.

[ Edited ]
3 of 14 (1,601 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 6:42:55 AM
(0)
Contributor
Hard to dismiss their own news release specifically naming the models due for the 2.3 update! AT&T... rarely if ever works to provide value for their customers, but instead seek to handcuff their customers and wring money from them. Customer loyal is earned, not coerced. AT&T continues to mistreat their customers. It is pathetic, their bid to "rebuild the death star" with the T-Mobile takeover is rejected because it would harm consumers, they howl that their precious customer will suffer, more accurate would be suffer more. We need more cell phone companies, not fewer, to keep them focused on customer service, not customer abuse. A link to their own press release: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20407&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32234&mapcode=mobile-devices
Hard to dismiss their own news release specifically naming the models due for the 2.3 update! AT&T... rarely if ever works to provide value for their customers, but instead seek to handcuff their customers and wring money from them. Customer loyal is earned, not coerced. AT&T continues to mistreat their customers. It is pathetic, their bid to "rebuild the death star" with the T-Mobile takeover is rejected because it would harm consumers, they howl that their precious customer will suffer, more accurate would be suffer more. We need more cell phone companies, not fewer, to keep them focused on customer service, not customer abuse. A link to their own press release: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20407&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32234&mapcode=mobile-devices

4 of 14 (1,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 4:53:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

i contacted the att customer service and they say the update comes from Samsung and they are not responsible in any way.

When i contact the samsung customer service thay say it is the responsibility of Samsung.

This is really pathetic. Do you know who is exactly responsible?

i contacted the att customer service and they say the update comes from Samsung and they are not responsible in any way.

When i contact the samsung customer service thay say it is the responsibility of Samsung.

This is really pathetic. Do you know who is exactly responsible?

5 of 14 (1,432 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 5:12:26 PM
(0)
Master

Samsung builds phone for AT&T per AT&T request and also writes firmware per AT&T request. They have no responsibility what so ever to you and me as customers of AT&T. So, if AT&T wants a Gingerbread firmware, Samsung will create one and AT&T get the final say whether or not it is good enough and when it is goinig to be released. But  if Samsung keeps creating buggy firmware that can't meet AT&T's minimum standard, it will be delayed. Also, if AT&T keep changing requirements, like wanted to add Carrier IQ but now have to remove it, it will get delayed. It is really hard to say who is responsible for the delay because they never release such internal information to public.

Samsung builds phone for AT&T per AT&T request and also writes firmware per AT&T request. They have no responsibility what so ever to you and me as customers of AT&T. So, if AT&T wants a Gingerbread firmware, Samsung will create one and AT&T get the final say whether or not it is good enough and when it is goinig to be released. But  if Samsung keeps creating buggy firmware that can't meet AT&T's minimum standard, it will be delayed. Also, if AT&T keep changing requirements, like wanted to add Carrier IQ but now have to remove it, it will get delayed. It is really hard to say who is responsible for the delay because they never release such internal information to public.

6 of 14 (1,427 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2011 7:35:58 PM
(0)
Teacher
Good take
Good take

7 of 14 (1,413 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 1:31:28 AM
(0)
Employee
If you really need it, root and install. I've never waited for an official update
If you really need it, root and install. I've never waited for an official update
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

8 of 14 (1,392 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2011 5:37:34 AM
(0)
Contributor
This is nuts!!! There is no question as to who is responsible for this mess! It is ATT! When ATT made the announcement, calling out specific phones, the expectaion is that it happens. If ATT wanted this to happen the Samsung would do it b/c ATT is their customer. I'm going to move to another carrier.
This is nuts!!! There is no question as to who is responsible for this mess! It is ATT! When ATT made the announcement, calling out specific phones, the expectaion is that it happens. If ATT wanted this to happen the Samsung would do it b/c ATT is their customer. I'm going to move to another carrier.

9 of 14 (1,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2011 9:22:15 AM
(0)
Guru

Other carriers aren't much better.

If you want timely updates, you have two options:

1)  Move away from North America

2)  Purchase an unlocked international model that supports AT&T's bands, such as the Galaxy S II (international version is GT-I9100) or GSM Galaxy Nexus

2) is what provides the clear evidence that the failure to obtain updates is Samsung's fault.  The I9000 and Captivate are nearly identical, to the point where Captivate developers on XDA can port over an I9000 firmware update in a matter of days, at most.  Yet despite this fact, the Captivate didn't receive Froyo until after the I9000 got Gingerbread.

If you are out of warranty or are OK with voiding your warranty, there's a third option:

3)  Purchase a device that is very closely related to an international version for which developers on XDA have figured out the items needed to port firmwares to that device.  For example, any I9000 firmware can be quickly ported to the Captivate, and I777 users can now flash any I9100 Gingerbread firmware with ease (I automated the porting process so it's done in one click, with the only thing not automated being a small NFC fix - but NFC is disabled in unmodified AT&T firmware anyway).

Other carriers aren't much better.

If you want timely updates, you have two options:

1)  Move away from North America

2)  Purchase an unlocked international model that supports AT&T's bands, such as the Galaxy S II (international version is GT-I9100) or GSM Galaxy Nexus

2) is what provides the clear evidence that the failure to obtain updates is Samsung's fault.  The I9000 and Captivate are nearly identical, to the point where Captivate developers on XDA can port over an I9000 firmware update in a matter of days, at most.  Yet despite this fact, the Captivate didn't receive Froyo until after the I9000 got Gingerbread.

If you are out of warranty or are OK with voiding your warranty, there's a third option:

3)  Purchase a device that is very closely related to an international version for which developers on XDA have figured out the items needed to port firmwares to that device.  For example, any I9000 firmware can be quickly ported to the Captivate, and I777 users can now flash any I9100 Gingerbread firmware with ease (I automated the porting process so it's done in one click, with the only thing not automated being a small NFC fix - but NFC is disabled in unmodified AT&T firmware anyway).

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

10 of 14 (1,272 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 26, 2011 8:13:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just in case AT&T cares, I am also interested in this update.

Just in case AT&T cares, I am also interested in this update.

11 of 14 (791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 7:01:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

If I'm not mistaken, Rogers in Canada began supplying Gingerbread to their Canadian customers back in September.  I really don't see a reason for a carrier like AT&T to be 3 months behind with absolutely no update.  Now I'm just waiting for my contract to expire so I can get myself a little 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus instead, and not have to worry about these excessively delayed/non-existent updates.

If I'm not mistaken, Rogers in Canada began supplying Gingerbread to their Canadian customers back in September.  I really don't see a reason for a carrier like AT&T to be 3 months behind with absolutely no update.  Now I'm just waiting for my contract to expire so I can get myself a little 4G LTE Galaxy Nexus instead, and not have to worry about these excessively delayed/non-existent updates.

Re: Gingerbread update for Samsung phones

12 of 14 (684 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 28, 2011 11:49:46 AM
(0)
Teacher

its really frustrating to hear that I need to root the device and void its warranty to get the OS update.

Its a good phone.... and deserves a better OS. This was the primary reason for choosing

Android to get a free OS and its consequent updates(like the linux OS with a little or no delay). But looking at the current situation it seems that they are almost promoting Apple products by hindering the updates for the Android devices.

Why would anyone choose android if their device are not getting any software update even when the

manufacturer is still continuing selling the same model? This means that majority of Android devices

that are sold today with Android OS may not get any update in a year or so even if its hardware is good enough

to run the latest OS. I think that sucks...!

ATT and samsung must really write a note in bold letters that these devices may not get any software update in future so that customers are aware about this while making a purchase. Atleast people will be aware about these facts beforehand.

To add on, ATT customer service do not even acknowledge that such an announcement was made by them publicly on their own website.

its really frustrating to hear that I need to root the device and void its warranty to get the OS update.

Its a good phone.... and deserves a better OS. This was the primary reason for choosing

Android to get a free OS and its consequent updates(like the linux OS with a little or no delay). But looking at the current situation it seems that they are almost promoting Apple products by hindering the updates for the Android devices.

Why would anyone choose android if their device are not getting any software update even when the

manufacturer is still continuing selling the same model? This means that majority of Android devices

that are sold today with Android OS may not get any update in a year or so even if its hardware is good enough

to run the latest OS. I think that sucks...!

ATT and samsung must really write a note in bold letters that these devices may not get any software update in future so that customers are aware about this while making a purchase. Atleast people will be aware about these facts beforehand.

To add on, ATT customer service do not even acknowledge that such an announcement was made by them publicly on their own website.

13 of 14 (656 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 7:55:27 AM
(0)
Guru

timsline wrote:

Yup...  To AT&T's credit, the Rogers Infuse Gingerbread release was very half-baked - but no way is it taking almost 6 months to add the missing stuff (30 fps video recording, HDMI output support)

timsline wrote:

Yup...  To AT&T's credit, the Rogers Infuse Gingerbread release was very half-baked - but no way is it taking almost 6 months to add the missing stuff (30 fps video recording, HDMI output support)

14 of 14 (522 Views)