Gingerbread update for Xperia X10a OVERDUE!

Contributor

Gingerbread update for Xperia X10a OVERDUE!

Gingerbread update available to all other carriers why not ATT?  Very poor customer service.  I want the update and will be seeking a new carrier.  Technology is meant to be shared, not withheld!  Get with the program and update my phone.  I want the Wi-Fi Hotspot feature and am tired of waiting.  Please advise?  What should I do?

Message 1 of 6 (693 Views)

Re: Gingerbread update for Xperia X10a OVERDUE!

How can a Gingerbread update for all other carriers than AT&T be available if AT&T was the only carrier in the United States to receive the handset?

While AT&T is the worst in the country in terms of update deployment, the other United States carriers are not much better.

If you want timely updates, you need to either leave North America entirely, purchase unlocked non-subsidized phones, or purchase a phone close enough to the international version to use the international update.  (In your case - look into Cyanogenmod.)

My next purchase from AT&T will likely be whatever the latest iPhone is - which will be immediately eBayed and the proceeds will be used to buy a real phone.

Message 2 of 6 (678 Views)
Scholar

Wrong! Not the worst at updates!
LG Thrill just got OS 2.3
HTC Vivid just got OS 4.0 OTA
Message 3 of 6 (622 Views)
Teacher

I own an X10a on at&t and I am running 2.3.4 gingerbread.  If you are like me your $499 phone was free w/at&t contract. If you haven't found XDA forums website yet, find it.  Root, unbrand have fun, enjoy your phone. My X10 is running a version of Sony's NXT S phone software called X10S by championswimmer from XDA. Has all new SONY(not SE) apps in it.  Also I have unlocked my bootloader and installed a new kernel( kernel=instructions for CPU). My phone now runs at 1.228Ghz, up from 998Mhz stock. 

I also agree with previous post about only buying unlocked stock phones.  At&t locks them down because the reduce the stock price. Most phones have a global or international version for sale just always double check which radio bands they use.  Global 3G is not same as at&t 3G 

nice idea with the icrap,  but will at&t allow someone else to register phone while under your contract?

Message 4 of 6 (542 Views)

Hmm, good point there...  iPhones are oddballs, between microSIM and the extra "registration" policing.

Maybe I'll use a different phone to get my subsidy money through eBay.

Message 5 of 6 (537 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Entropy512 wrote:

Hmm, good point there...  iPhones are oddballs, between microSIM and the extra "registration" policing.

Maybe I'll use a different phone to get my subsidy money through eBay.

This is a lnk to a topic where I asked about "upgrades"

http://forums.att.com/t5/Phone-Upgrade/after-update-will-old-phone-still-work/m-p/3223741#M1857

Message 6 of 6 (440 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.