Ask a question

Posted Jul 22, 2011
    7:23:50 PM
    Gingerbread is Here for Atrix

This is the real upgrade directly from Motorola, not a false alarum to raise hate and discontent.

Earlier this afternoon Motorola released the long awaited Gingerbread upgrade.  They are doing a phased rollout but when I checked a few minutes ago I found that it was available to me but now have to wait for the battery to recharge as it is recommended to start with at least 50% battery reserve.  It appears to be an upgrade to 2.3.4 instead of 2.3.3.

A change log is or should be posted somewhere in the Motorola Support pages or their Atrix forums.  This upgrade must be downloaded over Wi-Fi due to large amount of data, 160 MB, and is expected to take between 30 and 60 minutes to install depending upon how much additional software and data is on the device.  This is an install over upgrade, not a clean install which some may elect to perform afterwards.

Settings > About Phone > System Updates.  Text messages announcing the upgrade are supposed to start going out next week.

Gingerbread is Here for Atrix

23 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (23)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 22, 2011 10:21:19 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Got it, finally

Re: Gingerbread is Here for Atrix

2 of 24 (3,036 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 23, 2011 1:42:52 PM
    (0)
    Guru
    I got it today. I love it! So is this a Motorola update or Android update?

I have a question about it. I now have 2 battery icons at the top of my screen. The one on the left is sideways, green, and shows the charge. The one on the right is in an upright position and has a check mark inside. Does anyone know what the second icon is for? Is it just telling me I do have a battery?? That seems a little redundant.

3 of 24 (2,983 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 23, 2011 4:59:56 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

You can also update the phone via SD card, with an update downloadable to your computer available here.

4 of 24 (2,967 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 23, 2011 6:28:08 PM
    (0)
    Guru

cmrunner83 wrote:
    I got it today. I love it! So is this a Motorola update or Android update?

I have a question about it. I now have 2 battery icons at the top of my screen. The one on the left is sideways, green, and shows the charge. The one on the right is in an upright position and has a check mark inside. Does anyone know what the second icon is for? Is it just telling me I do have a battery?? That seems a little redundant.
    The one that looks like a check mark isn't a battery icon. It's your alarm clock icon. ;-)
    (\__/) (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

5 of 24 (2,959 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 24, 2011 12:30:46 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    Amylyn, thanks!!!! Smiley Happy I totally never would have guessed that!!

6 of 24 (2,932 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 24, 2011 2:04:55 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    You're welcome! Yeah, I don't know why they made it look like that. It does look like a battery. :-)
    (\__/) (='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your (")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

7 of 24 (2,926 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 24, 2011 4:22:16 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

oh i so cant wait tilli get on wifi to download it, how its it with the atrix so far??

AT&T CSR, but anything this i say is not assssssossiaattteeddd with att as a company.

8 of 24 (2,894 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 25, 2011 8:20:03 AM
    (0)
    Teacher

I am downloading it right now. I always loved Gingerbread!

Also glad that my recent post here worked- the one about switching back to the iPhone pending the Gingerbread update.

Within days, we got Netflix enabled for Atrix and Gingerbread, too. Smiley Happy

9 of 24 (2,848 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 25, 2011 9:31:58 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Hi there, check the birthdates for your contacts, I've lost all my contacts' birthdates after the Gingerbread upgrade. A quick Google search shows other users have had the birthdates shifted by 1 month. Atrix 4G

10 of 24 (2,767 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 26, 2011 12:03:25 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I should have mentioned, I leave in Melbourne, Australia...so my timezone would be different from US...

11 of 24 (1,683 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 26, 2011 5:58:14 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Yeah, my birthdays are off by a month as well.

12 of 24 (1,676 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 27, 2011 5:03:39 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

....live, well...

13 of 24 (1,597 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 27, 2011 6:13:29 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

The plot thickens, I can no longer specify a birthday for a newly created contact, the field is not displayed at all. You can try this yourselves, I believe this is a Gingerbread/Motorola bug. I have exported all my contacts as a vcard and the birthdays are definitely there - they are just not displayed under 'Contacts' nor are you able to set a birthday for a new contact....

I cannot log a call to AT&T due to me living outside US, but you guys can do it...Smiley Happy

14 of 24 (1,591 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 28, 2011 12:17:51 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

True, the birthday field no longer displays in the contact card.

15 of 24 (1,554 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 15, 2011 9:20:18 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

I installed the gingerbread update/upgrade. Now my Location based apps aren't working properly. Some will work if I turn the GPS on, but some still will not work properly. I used to be able to use all my location based apps just fine without the GPS turned on. I will get a message in the apps stating that location can't be found/determined, using previous known location. I do have the Atrix set to determine Location via WiFi or Cell Network and not GPS.

Is their anything to do to fix this aside from reinstalling the apps that are affected?

Please Help ASAP!!!

16 of 24 (1,362 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 15, 2011 10:18:54 AM
    (0)
    Guru

Have you checked in the market to see if the software is compatible with gingerbread?  Since a lot of the software is actually home-grown/written, it does not undergo compatibility testing with the myriad of devices and modifications to the OS, etc., so you may have to rely upon reviews to make this determination.  Unfortunately, the reviews cannot be sorted to be in chronological order. 

In some cases the software might be compatible with android version X.X.X but not compatible with the modifications made for that same version to be on a particular device.  For example - skype video calling reportedly works on some devices with gingerbread but not the atrix.

17 of 24 (1,357 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 15, 2011 12:46:44 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

I haven't done that yet, but guess I will give it a try. Curious, do you work for AT&T or just Tech savy?

18 of 24 (1,349 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 15, 2011 2:21:06 PM
    (0)
    Guru

dragonfire0130 wrote:

I haven't done that yet, but guess I will give it a try. Curious, do you work for AT&T or just Tech savy?

Thank You for the kind words but the answer is "none of the above."  I just happen to have a decent memory.

These types of problems also cropped up with Windows Mobile years ago but apparently the designers never learned from those lessons. Users tend to assume compatibility based upon the generic name of the software but the real concern needs to be the version.  With mobile phones, the manufacturer or reseller has been allowed to make or require substantial changes to the OS or user interface that can also affect compatibility.

Because of the home-grown nature of most of the software, I am extremely cautious and suspicious and therefore do a lot more research before downloading.  Therefore I have read the comments or in cases of companies developing the software that the software is not compatible with device so-and-so or gingerbread 2.3.4, etc.  Additionally I am concerned with security so more research with permissions is needed.  For example - why does google/android allow games like angrybirds to collect data like the IMEI and phone number, GPS location, etc., if not to sell to advertisers?

19 of 24 (1,341 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2011 9:34:59 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

Does anyone know if you can re-install the update? I have a feeling that my wi-fi download got corrupted as I've been having some issues since the install. I downloaded the file to my computer, but I don't want to try to install until I know it won't mess up the phone further.

20 of 24 (1,259 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 23, 2011 10:10:38 AM
    (0)
    Guru

You cannot go back. I don't know how it does it or if it is motorola or google/hemorrhoid that does this but when doing an update, something is changed that makes it incompatible to revert to an older version. Trying to do so will result in an inoperable phone (commonly called a "brick"). It will not be covered under warranty.

21 of 24 (1,231 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 27, 2011 8:54:41 PM
    (0)
    Guru

Tilteduser, have you been able to resolve your Atrix issues?

22 of 24 (1,179 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 28, 2011 6:27:23 AM
    (0)
    Guru

Razr8 wrote:

Tilteduser, have you been able to resolve your Atrix issues?

Thank You for asking but the bluetooth and battery issues are design problems with an increasing number of owners reporting these problems in the various related forums.  Because this is so widespread, these really aren't junst my issues but apply to an ever increasing number of users and devices.  motorola promised to return my call last week but has yet to do so leaving me to pursue other options.

My recommendation is that if you need to use bluetooth headsets or headphones then avoid motorola completely and buy an HTC phone also noting that HTC customer service and responsiveness is vastly superior to motorola.

23 of 24 (1,172 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 28, 2011 7:59:56 AM
    (0)
    Guru

Thanks for replying, sorry to hear you are still dealing with all that, hope it all works out.

24 of 24 (1,167 Views)