Gingerbread is Here for Atrix

Gingerbread is Here for Atrix

This is the real upgrade directly from Motorola, not a false alarum to raise hate and discontent.

Earlier this afternoon Motorola released the long awaited Gingerbread upgrade.  They are doing a phased rollout but when I checked a few minutes ago I found that it was available to me but now have to wait for the battery to recharge as it is recommended to start with at least 50% battery reserve.  It appears to be an upgrade to 2.3.4 instead of 2.3.3.

A change log is or should be posted somewhere in the Motorola Support pages or their Atrix forums.  This upgrade must be downloaded over Wi-Fi due to large amount of data, 160 MB, and is expected to take between 30 and 60 minutes to install depending upon how much additional software and data is on the device.  This is an install over upgrade, not a clean install which some may elect to perform afterwards.

Settings > About Phone > System Updates.  Text messages announcing the upgrade are supposed to start going out next week.

Message 1 of 24 (3,535 Views)
Scholar

Re: Gingerbread is Here for Atrix

Got it, finally
Message 2 of 24 (3,508 Views)

I got it today. I love it! So is this a Motorola update or Android update?

I have a question about it. I now have 2 battery icons at the top of my screen. The one on the left is sideways, green, and shows the charge. The one on the right is in an upright position and has a check mark inside. Does anyone know what the second icon is for? Is it just telling me I do have a battery?? That seems a little redundant.
Message 3 of 24 (3,455 Views)
Tutor

You can also update the phone via SD card, with an update downloadable to your computer available here.

Message 4 of 24 (3,439 Views)

cmrunner83 wrote:
I got it today. I love it! So is this a Motorola update or Android update?

I have a question about it. I now have 2 battery icons at the top of my screen. The one on the left is sideways, green, and shows the charge. The one on the right is in an upright position and has a check mark inside. Does anyone know what the second icon is for? Is it just telling me I do have a battery?? That seems a little redundant.
The one that looks like a check mark isn't a battery icon. It's your alarm clock icon. ;-)
Message 5 of 24 (3,431 Views)

Amylyn, thanks!!!! Smiley Happy I totally never would have guessed that!!
Message 6 of 24 (3,404 Views)

You're welcome! Yeah, I don't know why they made it look like that. It does look like a battery. :-)
Message 7 of 24 (3,398 Views)
Scholar

oh i so cant wait tilli get on wifi to download it, how its it with the atrix so far??

______

“I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.”
Message 8 of 24 (3,366 Views)
Highlighted

I am downloading it right now. I always loved Gingerbread!

Also glad that my recent post here worked- the one about switching back to the iPhone pending the Gingerbread update.

Within days, we got Netflix enabled for Atrix and Gingerbread, too. Smiley Happy

mobilelawyer
at your service
Message 9 of 24 (3,320 Views)
Tutor

Hi there, check the birthdates for your contacts, I've lost all my contacts' birthdates after the Gingerbread upgrade. A quick Google search shows other users have had the birthdates shifted by 1 month. Atrix 4G

Message 10 of 24 (3,239 Views)
Tutor

I should have mentioned, I leave in Melbourne, Australia...so my timezone would be different from US...

Message 11 of 24 (2,155 Views)
Scholar

Yeah, my birthdays are off by a month as well.

Message 12 of 24 (2,148 Views)
Tutor

....live, well...

Message 13 of 24 (2,069 Views)
Tutor

The plot thickens, I can no longer specify a birthday for a newly created contact, the field is not displayed at all. You can try this yourselves, I believe this is a Gingerbread/Motorola bug. I have exported all my contacts as a vcard and the birthdays are definitely there - they are just not displayed under 'Contacts' nor are you able to set a birthday for a new contact....

I cannot log a call to AT&T due to me living outside US, but you guys can do it...Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 24 (2,063 Views)
Tutor

True, the birthday field no longer displays in the contact card.

Message 15 of 24 (2,026 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.