Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 9, 2011
1:38:42 PM
View profile
Gingerbread for Infuse

Hello,

I'm sure im not that only one that has posted this but does anyone by any chance or know something that I dont know on the amended release date for the infuse? It was supposed to be released in aug but it seems as if ATT has forgotten about us infuse owners. Any Ideas? Thanks!

38 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(38)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:21:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

I would wait till the phone you want has it on it already. I was told by the sales rep and saw the posting that Infuse was getting the GB update but so far nothing has happened never going to depend on beting told something by ATT again.

I would wait till the phone you want has it on it already. I was told by the sales rep and saw the posting that Infuse was getting the GB update but so far nothing has happened never going to depend on beting told something by ATT again.

Re: Gingerbread for Infuse

31 of 39 (2,214 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 29, 2011 7:24:36 PM
(0)
Scholar

My attitude does plays into what AT&T and other carriers are accused of: they holding out on OS updates so the "tech-savvy" will just buy the latest phone with latest OS... but with someone like me, that will likely not work, because then I may NEVER get one if process does not improve... or these good smartphones are less expensive due to competition. Lost sale. I haven't had a smart phone for YEARS... i can wait.

My attitude does plays into what AT&T and other carriers are accused of: they holding out on OS updates so the "tech-savvy" will just buy the latest phone with latest OS... but with someone like me, that will likely not work, because then I may NEVER get one if process does not improve... or these good smartphones are less expensive due to competition. Lost sale. I haven't had a smart phone for YEARS... i can wait.

32 of 39 (2,212 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 7:53:46 AM
(0)
Guru

storm2crows wrote:

To AT&T's credit, they ARE working on it.  Leaks have been coming out of Samsung since late September.

The problems are:

1)  The same battery drain bug that is affecting UCKK6 for the I777 (Galaxy S II) was introduced to the Infuse leaks

2)  AT&T wasted a lot of time trying to integrate Carrier IQ spyware, only to rip it out when they had a senator on their case about it.

storm2crows wrote:

To AT&T's credit, they ARE working on it.  Leaks have been coming out of Samsung since late September.

The problems are:

1)  The same battery drain bug that is affecting UCKK6 for the I777 (Galaxy S II) was introduced to the Infuse leaks

2)  AT&T wasted a lot of time trying to integrate Carrier IQ spyware, only to rip it out when they had a senator on their case about it.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

33 of 39 (1,999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 12:49:58 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by storm2crows on Dec 31, 2011 at 12:51:20 PM

The wait would not be as bad with solid responce from ATT about the update.

Would be nice if the update fixes the battery problem if it can be, when i run any nav software the battery drains even when connected to a charger.

Would be nice if the update fixes the battery problem if it can be, when i run any nav software the battery drains even when connected to a charger.

[ Edited ]
34 of 39 (1,969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 12:58:17 PM
(0)
Scholar

I can't trust rumors or leaks or he said she said stuff. There's lots of smartphones out there that now have gingerbread. Until I see some statement or information from AT&T, I can only assume for Infuse that AT&T are not working on it or they are not competent.... either option is not a good thing.

I can't trust rumors or leaks or he said she said stuff. There's lots of smartphones out there that now have gingerbread. Until I see some statement or information from AT&T, I can only assume for Infuse that AT&T are not working on it or they are not competent.... either option is not a good thing.

35 of 39 (1,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 1:54:31 PM
(0)
Mentor
Entropy, how do you know that AT&T is working on the update and not just some third party organization? Pardon me if I sound like I don't believe you; I just want facts and evidence supporting them, since I too am a confused Infuse user wondering why AT&T is waiting so long to roll out the official Gingerbread update.

I have no major complaints about this phone, except for the fact that it can act stupidly at some times and completely freeze up and reboot. I'm confident that Gingerbread will fix the majority of this and many other things.

So where exactly is the update headed? Like what storm2crows says, any input besides the vague "There is no information regarding the update release date" would make the whole situation more easy to cope with. At least some kind of information regarding the status of the making of the update would do wonders right now.
Entropy, how do you know that AT&T is working on the update and not just some third party organization? Pardon me if I sound like I don't believe you; I just want facts and evidence supporting them, since I too am a confused Infuse user wondering why AT&T is waiting so long to roll out the official Gingerbread update.

I have no major complaints about this phone, except for the fact that it can act stupidly at some times and completely freeze up and reboot. I'm confident that Gingerbread will fix the majority of this and many other things.

So where exactly is the update headed? Like what storm2crows says, any input besides the vague "There is no information regarding the update release date" would make the whole situation more easy to cope with. At least some kind of information regarding the status of the making of the update would do wonders right now.

36 of 39 (1,947 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 4:01:49 PM
(0)
Guru

storm2crows wrote:

This is unfortunately a hardware limitation - CPU/screen power usage counts against charge current limit, which is 600 mA.

It's possible to bump this up to 800 with a custom kernel - however I'm 99% certain that Samsung or AT&T will NEVER change this in a stock device.

storm2crows wrote:

This is unfortunately a hardware limitation - CPU/screen power usage counts against charge current limit, which is 600 mA.

It's possible to bump this up to 800 with a custom kernel - however I'm 99% certain that Samsung or AT&T will NEVER change this in a stock device.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

37 of 39 (1,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2011 4:07:20 PM
(0)
Guru

lee1001 wrote:

Technically, it's Samsung that's doing the work, and AT&T that's holding it up with requirements churn (such as having Sammy integrate CIQ and then reverse this when they got a senator on their case)

Samsung has a method for distributing test builds to their testers, and people have figured out how to poll the update servers to find these builds.  (Either that or someone at Samsung is providing leaks to places like SamFirmware and Sampro).

In the case of the Infuse, a guy by the name of przekret is good at finding these and providing them on XDA.  For example, UCKL2 for Infuse:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1390339

He's been providing leaks since UCKI3 in late September.  From UCKI3 until the UCKKn series, there was evidence of more and more CIQ integration.  CIQ spyware was COMPLETELY removed from UCKL2, which was released after the media started covering CIQ spyware.

Unfortunately, UCKJ2 and onwards have the same wifi battery drain bug that the UCKK6 OTA for the Galaxy S II has.

lee1001 wrote:

Technically, it's Samsung that's doing the work, and AT&T that's holding it up with requirements churn (such as having Sammy integrate CIQ and then reverse this when they got a senator on their case)

Samsung has a method for distributing test builds to their testers, and people have figured out how to poll the update servers to find these builds.  (Either that or someone at Samsung is providing leaks to places like SamFirmware and Sampro).

In the case of the Infuse, a guy by the name of przekret is good at finding these and providing them on XDA.  For example, UCKL2 for Infuse:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1390339

He's been providing leaks since UCKI3 in late September.  From UCKI3 until the UCKKn series, there was evidence of more and more CIQ integration.  CIQ spyware was COMPLETELY removed from UCKL2, which was released after the media started covering CIQ spyware.

Unfortunately, UCKJ2 and onwards have the same wifi battery drain bug that the UCKK6 OTA for the Galaxy S II has.

38 of 39 (1,921 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2012 11:01:52 AM
(0)
Tutor
Entropy- Great bit of information. The problem is most users do not know how to flash their phones so they rely on the carrier to provide an update. Of course when it doesn't happen frustration sets in. We can only hope it comes soon.
Entropy- Great bit of information. The problem is most users do not know how to flash their phones so they rely on the carrier to provide an update. Of course when it doesn't happen frustration sets in. We can only hope it comes soon.

39 of 39 (1,850 Views)